The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

the adaptation, which will be live action
pQi9HhX.jpg

So piggybacking of JJ being the current Mr. Hot scifi guy and having him "produce". Also Heisserer has a terrible filmography, Arrival was perhaps his best but the script still wasn't that great imo the directoring is what really made Arrival work more than anything.

J.J. Abrams, Paramount Team Up for Sci-Fi Love Story 'Your Name'

"Eric Heisserer, who was nominated for an Oscar for penning the script to the Denis Villeneuve-directed sci-fi drama Arrival, is on board to write the screenplay for the adaptation, which will be live action.

Abrams will produce via his Bad Robot banner along with the banner’s Lindsey Weber. Also producing is Genki Kawamura, the producer of the original 2016 film.

"Your Name is a film created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium,” said Shinkai in a statement. “When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of. I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation.”

Paramount and Bad Robot will work with Toho Co., which produced the original, on the development of the project. Toho will handle distribution of the film in Japan."

J.J. Abrams, Paramount Team for Sci-Fi Love Story 'Your Name'

OH GOD NO!

Arent we all jumping the gun more likely than not it will get stuck in development hell and has a better team than most anime adaptions. As I done like what he did to Star Trek but JJ does have talent

Good luck with Westernising it. Especially as one of most essential plot points is when
Taki goes to the shrine to drink Mitsuha's kuchikamizake, hoping to reconnect with her body. This would make no sense in a Western setting unless the female character was of Asian origin. Maybe her parents moved to America, but kept up some tradition, but then again one point of the story was that it happened before and the ceremony was to help prevent it so that wouldn't work either because they would have no ties to the land from that far back. Maybe if the female character was Native American, that might work? Sorry for the rambling :p

JJ might be running out of memberries. He wants a new franchise for everyone to member. Too bad those adaptions remove the culture often and can also remove what made a series special. The adaption just can't take the original premise seriously though, it ends up being too serious and bland, like db evolution or just silly like Netnote. I guess part of the problem is usually there's too much context to fit into a sub 2 hour to 2 hour film

Kudos to the writer for adding some older anime like Gungrave.
Absolutely. I really like Gungrave as well. I think the Brandon and Harry origin arc is way better than the present-day story it cuts back to, though. Anyone else find the transition between the two unintentionally kinky? It's like, "You brought him back from the dead and dressed him up as a cowboy?" o_O

Oh well, if that's what floats your boat. ;)

Back