Currency vs Brexit: GBP Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exit polls in seat prediction CON 314. LAB. 266. SNP. 34. UKIP. 0. LD. 14. PlaidCymru. 3 GREENS. 1. OTHER. 18
Con overall majority is possible, but not certain
I can't help but feel there's going to have been a lot of shy tories this election tbh, so I'd be stunned if that's at all accurate.

So that "I criticise my party when needed" thing? Right now.

LDs making the point right now they refuse any coalitions or deals. Despite the fact one with Labour and the rest could keep Tories out AND allow them to shape Brexit.

In case anyone is still watching and saw this,
BBC reporting Lib Dems on 6 seats now. I have:
Westmorland and Lonsdale
North Norfolk
Twickenham
Bath
East Dunbartonshire

anyone know the 6th?

Edit: Oh they just announced it. Eastbourne - and people said that the lib dems wouldn't take it back because of Brexit (although Stephen Lloyd is probably the most brexity of all the prominent lib dem candidates). It wasn't on my list of 20 potential lib dem seats as a result.

Last edited:
It's 4:11 and the Conservatives have just become the largest party for the first time. Labour just 12 away from matching last time. Lib Dems already above.

4:13 and Northern Ireland has only has 1 non-DUP representative in the commons. Disasterous night for the province.

4:16 and probably my only sad moment at a Tory loss of the night as Rob Wilson loses his seat.

4:18 and Tories hold South Thanet despite the MP being under investigation by the police.

4:21 and Alex Salmond is out of parliament again.

4:29 and Labour are now confirmed as a net gain in seats for this election. Who would have expected that even at the end of the night, let alone with 100 seats still to declare, just a week ago? And I just realised that we haven't seen a running map of the UK for several hours.

Last edited:
The Conservative movement in Scotland is the only downside of the election. Without that swing Conservatives would have been in 2010 territory and the DUP would not have sufficed. I'm really surprised by that element of the election, Scotland is the most progressive but the Indy Ref 2 has clearly been a big point amongst the Scots.

Labour had a great night and I hope that this enthusiasm continues going forward and now Jeremy's leadership is no longer in doubt that the party can finally stop their silly in fighting and get behind their leader and push forward to what maybe another GE sooner rather than later.

Finally May trying to cling to power is a perfect scenario for Labour because she is clearly extremely weak looking. Can you imagine the next PMQ's lol

Millions of young citizens were empowered to take an interest and believe in democracy.

....Then May told them to **** off because she craves power at any cost.

A deal with the DUP (a party much more socially conservative than most of the electorate) is going to do the Tories no favours. It won't do May any favours with the more centrist elements of her own party.

You say that but Brits just tut and get on with it. In other countries they push back. We've got too used to being polite.

Corbyn Labour still wants Brexit. I'd rather see May's coalition replaced with likes of Labour, LD and Greens. They could balance this nonsense.

Actually, many Lib Dems supported tactical voting. In seats where we knew only Labour could beat the Tories we voted for them. It's been the cause of much outrage since Thursday as numbers show Labour didn't do likewise in seats where LD would have beaten Tories.

Not saying no Remainers voted Labour as first choice but can assure you this media line of LD being abandoned by Remain is false.

To be fair, Labour supporters probably did help Layla Moran win in Oxford West and Abingdon.

However, the party was actively campaigning in a number of seats the Lib Dems wanted to win in fights against the Tories (Southport, Cheadle, Hazel Grove*, Portsmouth South), letting the Tories win in most of them. The last one is a bit of an oddity, in that Labour somehow managed to win the seat, after the Lib Dems basically gave up and voted Lab instead. On the other hand, if they had diverted the man hours spent there to Southampton Itchen they would have won there instead without doubt. There are also seats like St Ives and Richmond Park where Labour voters could have easily kicked out the Tories if they'd actually wanted to, and the way to do that was always going to be with a tactical vote for the Lib Dems. But no, they'd rather be represented by Derek Thomas and Zac Goldsmith...

The problem is that for a lot of people in the Labour party, the main aim seems to be making as many seats as possible into Labour vs Tory fights - in the belief that if they do this then all Lib Dem and Green supporters will then rush out to vote Labour - and if that means handing the Conservatives a dozen seats on a silver platter then so be it.

*admittedly based on the results it's unlikely we'd have won this one anyway.

Last edited:
Corbyn sabotaged the Remain campaign, then spent the last year telling us we need to respect the 'mandate' of an advisory referendum to Leave.

Corbyn has just lost a binding General Election. He came second and he and his followers are demanding vote be overturned.

So which is it, Jeremy? Because it can't be both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back