What Games Are You Playing?

I've just completed silent Hill 2 and it's one of the best games I've ever played. It's unnerving atmosphere and eerie vibes never lost their touch throughout my playthrough.

Now I'm moving onto Silent Hill 3.

Still playing Persona 5, currently in October and %$^£ is happening. Have to say I wasn't a big fan of the last palace, the music was horrendous and the general design was pretty annoying.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to max everyone at this point which is kinda annoying but meh, that's on me I guess. I've also literally just got enough charm to move forward with Makoto too, feel I'm real late on that and not sure if I'll be able to max all stats either (maxed 2, everything else is at 4).

Futaba is completely different to how I thought she would be, she's incredibly entertaining and very much fits the little sister role (seriously, super judging anyone who romanced her, shes like a little kid lol). I entered a relationship with Ann by accident at one point lol as much as I like her, I reloaded so fast :p

All in all I'm still very much enjoying the game and not looking forward to that feeling you get when you finish a Persona game.....

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to max everyone at this point which is kinda annoying but meh, that's on me I guess. I've also literally just got enough charm to move forward with Makoto too, feel I'm real late on that and not sure if I'll be able to max all stats either (maxed 2, everything else is at 4).

Futaba is completely different to how I thought she would be, she's incredibly entertaining and very much fits the little sister role (seriously, super judging anyone who romanced her, shes like a little kid lol). I entered a relationship with Ann by accident at one point lol as much as I like her, I reloaded so fast :p

I ended up only maxing 2 stats and 6-7 confidants, so yeaaah. I think unless you're playing with a guide or happen to be really good at Persona then maxing everyone is near on impossible for the first playthrough. Your stats are better than mine were in October too, so you might be alright!

Also I must admit I romanced Futaba simply because I thought she was the cutest thing. Probably going for Makoto next run though. :)

Just putting this out there, but I don't think a game has ever made me feel like a piece of **** as much as P5 did when I didn't romance Haru. She is an adorable cinnamon bun who is too pure for this world...

I ended up only maxing 2 stats and 6-7 confidants, so yeaaah. I think unless you're playing with a guide or happen to be really good at Persona then maxing everyone is near on impossible for the first playthrough. Your stats are better than mine were in October too, so you might be alright!

I think I have about 4 maxed just now but a bunch at 8-9. I think I'd prefer if I just failed that aspect by a fair amount rather than maybe just 1 or 2...I really hate a couple of the characters though lol %£$ing Mishima...

Also I must admit I romanced Futaba simply because I thought she was the cutest thing. Probably going for Makoto next run though. :)
No argument here, she's adorable but I just couldn't go down the road lol Makoto or Tae I reckon....this is super important you know :p

Just putting this out there, but I don't think a game has ever made me feel like a piece of **** as much as P5 did when I didn't romance Haru. She is an adorable cinnamon bun who is too pure for this world...
You're not the first person I've seen say that, I'm concerned.....

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

My first experience of Mario Kart 8 and it was fantastic. Brought it round my mates and played multiplayer in tabletop mode and it was a joy. The switch is the perfect portable local multiplayer device.

Just finished my first play through of Mass Effect Andromeda. 70 hours and 97% complete. Enjoyed it more than Mass Effect 3 but I'm in no rush to replay it anytime soon. I've lost count of the times I've played through ME1 and 2.

Having finally found some time to sit down with Breath of the Wild again, some of the voice acting is really beginning to bug me, particularly for Zelda. Maybe it's bad directing, but I find her cut glass accent grating and the actress playing her delivers her lines in a really stilted way. It's unfortunate there doesn't seem to be any means of switching it back to the Japanese audio to see if that's any better.

Just did this today ;_; Oh sweet baby Haru. Guess I'll just have to make amends in NG+ someday :p

So I've been informed I am now at the point where I can no longer do confidants (so near the end, I presume) and I literally only have 1 to do that wasn't story related, and I had them at 9 :( pure raging, stupid gamer kid, perhaps if you weren't so damn unlikable I wouldn't have failed....lol.

Also, Rivers in the Desert was such a good song.

Last edited:
Persona 5

I've said it many a time, to the point where people are probably sick to death of me mentioning it, but Persona 4 Golden is far and away my favourite video game of all time, no questions asked. I adore every single aspect about it, and is pretty much the golden standard to which I not only hold JRPGs, but video games in general. So, as you can imagine, I was both very excited and very cautious about Persona 5. Excited because they were making a sequel to my favourite game of all time, but cautious because my expectations of the Persona team to pass perfection seemed a little bit too high. So, did I like Persona 5 more than Persona 4? Straight answer: No. Granted, to me, that is the highest possible bar you could set, and perhaps I wasn't realistic in thinking it would, however, that doesn't stop it from being an absolute superb game.

The one regard I will say Persona 5 beats its predecessor in is certainly its gameplay and general game mechanics, to the point where I'd say it's pretty unarguable which is superior. What I absolutely adore about the Persona franchise is how they keep improving the gameplay from game to game in small ways, even when they probably could've left well enough alone without much complaint. Probably one of the biggest changes made here is in the combat system. It's very similar to the older games, using the One More system, but it's the menu that got overhauled this time around, and it's way better than the Persona 3 and 4 system. Instead of having a command list, each command is instead mapped to a face button. It sounds like such a small thing, and if they retained the Persona 3/4 style menu, I wouldn't have minded, but mapping the commands to the buttons saves so much time in battles, to the point where I think it would be very hard to go back to Persona 4 afterwards. I was also a huge fan of the more impactful changes too, such as being able to swap Personas without it costing a turn and, perhaps the biggest alteration, being able to swap in teammates on the fly. These are both very welcome changes and feel like a natural progression of the gameplay in the previous games. Even outside of battle, I really love the changes to Social Links (Pointlessly renamed to Confidants), and how every S. Link now gives you abilities in the dungeons, rather than just the S. Links of teammates. If there was any criticism I'd give, it's that I think the come back of Nuclear as an element isn't really necessary, as we already had enough elements in my opinion, although I did like the addition of non-instant kill moves to the Light and Dark attributes.

Now, being mechanically superior is all fine and well, but the Persona games are all about the story and characters and I just don't think that Persona 5 is as strong in either regard when compared to Persona 4. I think my biggest issue with the story is the fact that it lacks drive. Persona 3 had reaching the top of Tartarus and Persona 4 had finding out who the serial killer was, but Persona 5 really lacks any sort of driving force behind the story. Like sure, okay, you catch criminals and all that, but there's no overarching goal, no endgame, and I think that hurts the story a lot in the early game. Eventually, you do get this, but it's too little, too late by the time it comes along in the last few hours. I also think that the dungeons being based around villains rather than the characters that eventually join your party hurts it too. In Persona 4, the dungeons not only served as a gameplay purpose, but they also used the themes of the dungeon in order to explore the characters as well as to talk about topics like sexuality, gender identity, family pressures amongst other things, which I thought was incredibly interesting. Persona 5, on the other hand, just has the dungeons be cool settings and nothing more, with the possible exception of Futaba's Palace, which is probably the best in terms of concept, even if it's one of the weaker Palaces gameplay wise. At 85-90 hours long, Persona 5 may have also been guilty of overstaying its welcome by about 10-15 hours. From my memory, I think Persona 4 and Persona 4 Golden took me somewhere in the realm 70-75 hours, so it's quite a bit shorter, and I don't think it really needed to be any longer. By the time I got to the last two dungeons, I was kinda drained. It took me as long to play the first 70 hours as it did the last 15.

Although it's very easy for me to point out why I didn't like the story as much as previous entries, when it comes to why I wasn't as big on the cast, it's much more nebulous. I cannot pinpoint a specific reason, but there was just no real attachment there for me. I wish I could tell you why, but I honestly can't. By the end of my first playthrough of Persona 4, I was an emotional wreck, on the verge of tears, devastated by the fact that I wouldn't be able to see there characters again. That's very special, and it takes a lot of work to make a cast that you can get attached to like that. With Persona 5, when I finished I felt, well, nothing really. No immense sadness or bittersweet happiness like Persona 4, just nothing. Like I say, I can't really point to anything specific, perhaps Persona 4 just caught me in some inexplicable part of my life when all the stars aligned and I was in just the right mood to really get incredibly emotionally invested to that particular cast, but whatever it was, I just wasn't feeling it here.

Easily the most controversial opinion I seem to hold about Persona 5 is when it comes to the soundtrack. I'm not going to tell you it's a bad soundtrack, far from it, it's fantastic and fits the stylish nature of the game very well, but I'll be honest, I don't think it's a patch on Persona 4. As well as being my all time favourite game, it's certainly got one of my all time favourite soundtracks too, jam packed with a bunch of incredibly memorable and catchy tunes with a lot of variety. Persona 5's soundtrack, to me, just seems rather samey. Well, maybe more consistent would be more accurate, but the point is, it all just kind of blended together at some point, and now, having just finished the game, I'd actually struggle to hum you any of the songs from it. They all just seems rather forgettable. Everyone I've talked to about it seems to disagree, so maybe I'm just crazy, but Persona 4's OST is head and shoulders above.

I know in these last few paragraphs, it seems like I've been awfully negative towards Persona 5, but it's only negative to me when places directly next to Persona 4. Honestly, it's a fantastic game, and one I will almost certainly want to replay, if for no other reason than to get the pesky platinum trophy that eluded me in Persona 4 Golden (I was one of the countless Hardcore Risette Fan victims) and to finish those Social Links.

Got the platinum trophy in Persona 5 after a good 160 hours. Definitely my favourite Persona game and Game Of All Time, since it's not often I go straight away to NG+ on games and with Persona 5 I just wanted more.

Last Surprise is pretty much my new favourite battle theme. Still picked Makoto on NG+ <3

I also finished Persona 5 today at around 98hours. I absolutely adored it, I mean sure it had it's moments that annoyed me (Getting told to go to bed was infuriating at times...and those mouse puzzles annoyed the crap outta me) and it probably went on a bit longer than it should have, but I can honestly say it's the best game I've played in a long time. So I guess the question is, better than 3 and 4? Probably not. I'd say it was pretty close to 4 for me, maybe even it's equal (I mean this in terms of an overall game, I feel 4 did some things better and vice versa) but 3 still reigns supreme.

I loved a lot of the music but some of it was way overused. Rivers in the Desert was my favourite track in the end, probably followed by Blooming Villain and Layer Cake. So yeah, great OST but not Persona 3 good.

I also chose Makoto because of course I did. I'll most likely go with someone else next playthrough whenever I get around to it as I'd like to mop up the remaining trophies I missed. As is though I'll be taking a break to play something else, probably Zelda seeing I bought a Switch specifically to play it, although I kinda wanna resub to FFXIV again and grind the content that's been added in prep for the expansion.

But yeah, Persona 5 was wonderful and the wait was certainly worth it, I just hope we don't have to wait as long for Persona 6.... In the meantime, please give me a new Arena game Atlus ;_;

Last edited:
Still working on Persona 5 when i can at the moment. Currently 67 hours in and finished the 5th palace. Nothing more shall be said other than i'm having a blast with it. The translation is shaky in places, definitely. My understanding of japanese maybe limited, but it's enough that i can tell when something translated isn't exactly accurate.

Also picked up and am working on Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is just as much fun as i remembered it, but with all the content it feels definitive. I'm still to get a chance to play battle and online so i can't see how well those features work out but i'm having a blast with it. The only thing i'm still unsure of, or at least don't quite understand the addition off here, is the triple boost. it's so situational, and about 80% of the courses do not give you that opportunity to use it, even less so on higher ccs. going through a 200cc run, there was no chances to use it whatsoever on the courses i tried, so yeah. it's a weird one. Maybe there to just make 50cc quicker to plow through? hard to tell.

Also just about to finish Wonderboy on the Switch. So much nostalgia, it's great. the fresh coat of paint over the game is refreshing and the difficulty is still there as well. It's not a long game by any means, but it's certainly fun enough to keep me engaged long enough.

Played a bit of Nioh yesterday. It does feel refreshing after the more slow Dark Souls but i'm bit intimidated by it. I made it pass the house with the Oni and so far i have only died once at the tower but that's more thanks to having played the Souls games. It seems though that this game doesn't really go easy on you and i can see that yard fight being tough for "newcomers" and if that's what you get at the beginning then i wonder what's going to be coming towards the end. Of course there would have been the option to cheese it with Ki but i doubt that will be the resolve all move later.

Just finished with Tales of the Abyss. Once I've worked my way through Ephemeral Fantasia my PS2 catalogue will finally be finished and the old girl can at last retire.

Been playing through a few games recently.

Played through and platinumed Sleeping Dogs, Assassins Creed Syndicate and Senran Kagura Estival Versus. Finished Mankind Divided, too.

Senran Kagura was a bit of a chore, after a while. Can't decide who I like more between Hikage and Daidōji. Who wouldn't love a female Jotaro... who wouldn't love Jotaro...

So since I finished Persona 5 I've been playing Zelda - Breath of the Wild, and while I think it's a really good game I'm struggling to find any motivation to keep playing it :/ It's really weird as I do actually like it (although the one dungeon I did was pretty boring tbh) and I enjoy just walking around but stuff like climbing pisses me off, mainly because they made it such a focus but don't let me do it when it's raining...wtf is that BS? Maybe there's an item that fixes that but it just annoys me so much (mainly because I've now seen 3 things fall from the sky but been unable to reach them because of rain >_>). I also hate the memories thing, I think I've found 2 thus far..... I'll carry on with it a bit longer but can't say it's lived up to the hype for me (as a side note, I'm not a huge fan of open world games in general, so that may explain a lot).

I've also been playing Heroes of the Storm to get some Overwatch loot lol it's actually not bad but I see no reason why I would stick with it after the event when DotA2 is a thing.

I feel so happy.

GH6gXsa.jpg

mXLC9e2.jpg

Onto The Walking Dead Season 2.

I feel so happy.

GH6gXsa.jpg

mXLC9e2.jpg

Onto The Walking Dead Season 2.

^ You should play 400 Days if you didn't. It's not overly important but I enjoyed it and there is a nice nod to the first season in one part (it's a trophy).

I haven't played Walking Dead Season 2 on my current PSN account, I remember liking it alot though. I really need to play Season 3 soon.

Back