The Official HdE Does Anime Thread

Got a brand new video up on the channel. This one's an impromptu, quickly pulled together review of the Dreamworks Ghost in the Shell movie.
My favourite bit was @HdE's swipe at the "diversity brigade":
You see what happens when people wail and scream about these things? You get pointless additions.

I personally disagree, though, with @HdE's view on the issue that surrounds the Major's change of name. I actually really like that element of the story.

Last edited:
I personally disagree, though, with @HdE's view on the issue that surrounds the Major's change of name. I actually really like that element of the story.

And you're fully entitled to.

Sadly, I've already seen evidence of people picking that one up and running with it in exactly the way I had feared they would. Some folks are already claiming that 'a Japanese name means the part should be played by a Japanese actress.' While being blissfilly (or, more to the point, wilfully) ignorant of the fact that said name is a nom de plume with a specific meaning.

Side point: since posting this review and joining in a few dicussion online about the whitewashing NONSENSE that's blown up around this movie, I've been called a racist, a fascist, a nazi, a shithead and a few other things, I'm sure. The insults are all blurring together. And all of this comes from folks who have been told that I feel they're championing a fair point, but choosing the wrong battleground to do it on.

You simply cannot reason with stupid. For it is a beast with many heads.

Side point: since posting this review and joining in a few dicussion online about the whitewashing NONSENSE that's blown up around this movie, I've been called a racist, a fascist, a nazi, a shithead and a few other things
Wow, that's... extreme. I'm spoiled, I guess, because the only online discussion I ever take part in is on these very forums. I think we've got a high percentage of reasonable and better-adjusted people on AUKN.

I'm working my way through @HdE's YouTube channel at the moment. There are great reviews of some of my retro favourites on there, including:
Read or Die
Golgo 13: The Professional
Dead Leaves
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie

Very entertaining and very funny. :D

Wow, that's... extreme. I'm spoiled, I guess, because the only online discussion I ever take part in is on these very forums. I think we've got a high percentage of reasonable and better-adjusted people on AUKN.

Well, it kind of goes with the turf on youtube, sadly. Any idiot with a phone or tablet can get on there, so I sort of expect a bit of grief. I've recently set the channel up so that comments have to be approved before they appear, though. So that helps me to filter out the mouth breathers.

I'm working my way through @HdE's YouTube channel at the moment... Very entertaining and very funny. :D

Gawd bless you for trawling my back catalogue, sah! And I'm glad you're finding them entertaining. I always wonder if my attempts to inject humour into the reviews are completely succcessful, so to hear people are getting a chuckle now and then comes as great validation.

It's bugging me that work is limiting how much time I have to focus on new reviews, but I'm hoping I can get more stuff posted in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
I vote that you should do a review of Space Dandy, with an introduction in the style of Dandy himself. After all...

Ha!

Seeing as you mention it, Space Dandy is a show I REALLY want to do something on. It's easily one of my favourite shows of recent years. But it's kind of a difficult one to approach.

It's on the list. I might see if I can punt it forward a bit. ;)

Well, howzabout this? It's been a while, but I've blown the cobwebs off my Youtube channel and uploaded a new video.

This time, I take a look at Studio BONES' Captain Earth - because... robots. Or something.

There'll be another new video coming soon-ish. Youtube have proven themselves an absolutely apalling platform to do buiness on, though, so everything is on 'probation' for a bit. Still, hope you enjoy the video!

Additional bit of info for folks following the channel from here: if you'd subscribed over on Youtube, it'll be worth checking to make sure yoou're still subbed. Youtube have automatically unsubbed a few of my followers during teh downtime dictated by the loss of ad revenue.

It'd also be a good idea to enable notifications, as quite a few folks have told me recently that they've not been seeing notifications of new videos.

Good ol' Youtube - always making it needlessly difficult to do business on their platform. Yaaaayyy.

Last edited:
So I watched King of Thorn last night.

Absolute TRASH. I simply do not have strong enough words of condemnation for it. I know nothing of the source material (which it apparently butchers) but taken simply as a standalone, this is an example of how NOT to tell a story. Unless you want to insult your audience, that is.
I'd publicly eviscerate this one on my Youtube channel. But I just know it'd get beset by idiots claiming "OMG! This is the b3st animu I havz 3vah seen! How can yiu notz liek it? Dislike dislike dislike! Lolololololololol."
Any chance we can have that review anyway, @HdE? The haters gonna hate after all, and all that.

I'm sure your thoughts on it would amuse and entertain no end! :D

Any chance we can have that review anyway, @HdE? The haters gonna hate after all, and all that.

I'm sure your thoughts on it would amuse and entertain no end! :D

Channel haters really aren;t that big an issue on my little patch of Youtube. Dick behaviour or folks posting to pick a fight over there get deleted without question.

King of Thorn's been added to the list, just so as everyone knows. Work is keeping me RIDICULOUSLY busy at the moment,so I have no idea when the next video will go up (the latest is about 25% complete.)

Aaaaand, in a bizarre whirlwind of deja vu... everything's all gone wonky again.

For folks not in the know, Youtube recently published a policy update which effectively says 'if you don't have 1,000 subscribers, we ain't payin' you jack.'

So, as much as some of you may have already surmised (no new videos in 6 months might have been a giveaway) I'm DONE with Youtube. It's over. Finished. The site is just hell bent on pulling the rug from underneath small channels after making them slog to play by their ever-changing rulebook.

Thanks to everybody who supported the channel, engaged with it, thumbed up the videos and whatever. I'll be removing all the videos on February 20th, so if you want to watch any of them one last time, head over and do so before I yank them.

One thing, though - if you do go and watch them, please switch off your adblockers and tolerate any ads that show. I'm technically not supposed to ask folks to do that, but the channel will have made a lifetime revenue of £10.12 when it closes. That sort of indicates what a waste of time Youtube is if you want to persue it as a line of business.

So long, Youtube. And thanks for absolutely NOTHING.

Last edited:
That must be really frustrating, HdE. I hope you have more fun with the next project (or rehoming this one if you have another site in mind).

R

@HdE: Nooooo!!!! Your videos were my favourites. And I'd only just recently started watching them, too. :(

For me, your appraisal of Golgo 13: The Professional will go down in history. (Best caption: "Actual sex face. I'm not kidding.")

Totally understand where you're coming from, though. £10.12?! Stone the f**king crows.

Keep us posted on any future exploits, eh?

That’s unfortunate news, I enjoyed your reviews to no end. Can totally understand it. Seems like they don’t want to know unless you are “guaranteed” to make them money and even then they still don’t want to know. So point of this post? I’ll miss your reviews.

Thanks, guys and gals! The fact that folks have enjoyed the material, quite honestly, is a much bigger reward than any sum of money I could gain for them.

In a sense, I'm actually relieved. I was slated to do voiceovers for a series of gaming reviews (as well as chipping in on game capture - which I was even provided with equipment for) and that was starting to weigh on me a bit. Some of the work was already done, and I was compensated for what I'd put in. But I could see something like this on the horizon. That channel is now in limbo, and probably never going to happen. Youtube's loss, as we had some 40 odd videos either finished or at varying stages of production. All concerned are simply of the opinion that it's not worth posting them on such a volatile platform.

I lost an entire business day yesterday discussing potential fall-back plans with the guys doing the gaming stuff. It's INSANE what a convoluted landcape that stuff presents. We were actually intending to set up primarily on Vid.me and use Youtube as a back up. Then Vid.me closed. We looked at Vimeo. But they expect you to pay for the privilege of getting paid. Dailymotion carries too low a volume of traffic to keep the other guys happy. Minds.com is a joke. BitChute is fatally flawed and seems to exist only to prove a point that Vid.me wasn't doing things right. And on top of this, Youtube claim they've never turned a profit. The conclusion we've collectively reached is that it's all just way too flaky and uncertain a scene. For now, anyway.

But, not to worry. It's not like this was a major source of income for me. And there's always the hope that things might change in the future. I've heard from a couple of other small channels that folks are already making 'the kind of fuss about this that Youtube can't ignore.' There's even some talk of the recent policy change being legally dubious. But I'll leave all that to more legally savvy parties to get into.

As for me personally, I'm going to coast for a few months. I'm still active in comics, so I won't exactly be taking it easy. But I think it'll be worth waiting to see what the broader fallout of Youtube's actions will be before I even consider getting back into the game somehow. In the meantime, as I mentioned, the videos on my channel will all be disappearing on the 20th. If I'm not making money off them, Youtube certainly aren't getting the benefit of hosting them. (Please note: if any of you guys want to make use of one of those apps that lets you download and keep videos from Youtube, which I'd generally NEVER advocate, feel free to do so. If they give you a chuckle, or you enjoy my ramblings, I'd rather you were able to keep watching them somehow.)

Anyways - thanks again, folk. This has been an adventure!

I hope all this gets sorted out for you @HdE and leads to something that’s better for you, I genuinely will miss your reviews. On that note I’ll need to see about catching up on your vids that I haven’t seen yet!

I can only admire the way you've persevered, @HdE , through all the problems and impediments that YouTube has thrown in your way, only to end up with this latest slap in the face. And I've really enjoyed your video reviews and think they definitely deserve a home somewhere else (as @Rui says above) if you decide to create a new home for them. Also sorry to see that this other project has been put on hold (you're an excellent voiceover voice and deserve to be better known!)

I'm hoping that this will prove to be one of those 'As One Door Closes, Another Opens...' moments.

The YouTube thing even found its way onto the BBC News channel. One wonders just how many people who have found themselves under the magic 1,000 subscribers mark will collectively think "Right, **** this for a game of soldiers. I'm off."

I hope the bottom falls out of their 'business' model.

I for one won't be using trick apps to hang onto @HdE's videos, and will instead invest in crossing my fingers in the hope that they resurface one day. In the meantime, I'll content myself with reading his (hopefully) continuing forum posts while hearing his now-familiar voice in my mind's ear.

All the best in your endeavours, my man.

Back