UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

I'll finally watch Berserk I guess, I mean when I get time to pick this up later this year...maybe, I dunno.

I'm not sure if you are interested in collector's editions, but MVM have said that they are already running low on stock. That does mean that a SE will probably come sooner rather than later though

Nah I'll just get the standard edition, nothing interesting about the collectors edition, as with most of these things.

Digipaks are one of those things that I don't mind, sometimes I really like them, sometimes I don't, but it never makes a release worth more, more valuable, more special or more collectable for me, and it never pushes me to get one release over another, likewise with boxes, rigid or otherwise. That's just me, it's just something to hold the disc.

Digipaks are one of those things that I don't mind, sometimes I really like them, sometimes I don't, but it never makes a release worth more, more valuable, more special or more collectable for me, and it never pushes me to get one release over another, likewise with boxes, rigid or otherwise. That's just me, it's just something to hold the disc.

Fair enough. Personally I love both. I always appreciate nice packaging for a show I love. Would I have been happy if a Berserk BD was being released as standard? Of course! But this is just something that makes it feel a bit more special and worthwhile.

Yeah I can see that for sure, having a show that you love given a nice treatment is, nice but not only do I not have an affinity towards Berserk, I'm also the kind of guy who paid £200 for the Japanese Heidi, Girl of the Alps Blu-ray that came in white amarays. Like I said, I think digipaks can be good, but amarays are unwavering in their consistency, and I like that. I ain't here to play no digipak lottery!

I think my feeling is, if I order something and it comes in a bespoke packaging, digipak or whatever, cool but I'm not going to rush in spending more for something going OOP because I might miss out on a bit of cardboard, it's not worth the extra £5-£10 to me, keyword being me, people value things differently.

MVM are bringing some classics out on BD at the moment with Chobits, Ergo Proxy and Berserk, and Serial Experiments Lain on the way.

What are the chances of a BD upgrade for Gantz, do you reckon?

MVM are bringing some classics out on BD at the moment with Chobits, Ergo Proxy and Berserk, and Serial Experiments Lain on the way.

What are the chances of a BD upgrade for Gantz, do you reckon?

I remember Gantz being quite big back in the day so it's possible, personally id like to see a Blu ray of Ah My Goddess. A lot depends on if they still have the rights to these series though and if there is and English subbed Blu ray in existence.

I don't think there is a JP BD master of Gantz?

It might be the same situation as with Trigun, where they have expressed an interest in releasing it on BD (but perhaps would need Madman/Funimation to also share costs for a remaster?)

Here's hoping that they are given the BD rights to Garden of Sinners sooner rather than later too!

It might be the same situation as with Trigun, where they have expressed an interest in releasing it on BD (but perhaps would need Madman/Funimation to also share costs for a remaster?)

Here's hoping that they are given the BD rights to Garden of Sinners sooner rather than later too!

Would Trigun even be worth releasing on Blu ray? it's not aged well the animation looks awful

There's a new CG Gantz film, Gantz:O that has just been released in Japan, and creator Hiroya Oku's current manga, Inuyashiki, is getting an anime series from MAPPA. If it was going to happen, I suspect it would be happening sooner rather than later.

Would Trigun even be worth releasing on Blu ray? it's not aged well the animation looks awful

Gantz is a SD digipaint show, the best you can get is a zero compression upscale with lossless audio. Trigun on the other hand was animated on cel and paint and shot on film, then transferred to NTSC video for TV distribution. While you won't be able to do anything about the actual animation, if the original film still exists in its entirety, then you can get a perfectly servicable HD master for Trigun that should look the business. It should look as good as the Berserk Blu-rays for clarity, sharpness and colour, and there is a whole lot of video artefacts and cross colouration on the DVDs that need to be gotten rid of. It needs the time, money, and original film.

The problem is that the money won't come from Japan. Trigun bombed there. The film only got made on the popularity of the show overseas. For Berserk, the Blu-rays were mastered in Japan, and Madman and MVM could latch onto those masters. For Trigun, it will need Western investment to create Blu-rays, and that won't be from Australia or the UK. That will need big US money.

Yeah BD for Garden of Sinners would be pretty sweet. One of my favourite animes. I got the DVD's but I would go for the BD's for sure.

Glad everyone's liking the Berserk set. In regards to the mentions for Gantz and Trigun, there isn't much else that can be said what's not already been said.

Sadly our license for Ah My Goddess has now expired so we won't be doing that on BD. Chances are if we did decide to get the license back we'd want to get the second season too [which Manga released.

Garden of Sinners BD we're still hoping for but no news yet. In terms of what shows to have on BD, that is number one on both our lists and customers. But we are chasing it.

Sadly our license for Ah My Goddess has now expired so we won't be doing that on BD. Chances are if we did decide to get the license back we'd want to get the second season too [which Manga released.

I assume that the same is true for the Oh My Goddess OVAs (The two Animeigo discs that you released), and the Ah My Goddess feature film licenses. They were cel and paint jobbies that would benefit most from Blu-ray, as opposed to the Ah My Goddess TV series which was SD digipaint.

Back