Yuri!!! On Ice wins all the Crunchyroll Anime Awards it was nominated for (literally)

For anyone who is displeased, the Crunchyroll forums (which I realise are not the best place - I've already seen my disability being used as an insult to describe most of the voters who took part in the awards) are running their own awards in which only Crunchyroll members are allowed to vote. There is about 12 hours left until polling ends.

The Crunchyroll award sucked balls anyway. the nominee's we far too narrow and it was far too easy to multiple vote. Yuri On Ice may be one of the biggest shows of the year but it certainly isn't anime of the year. I'm not suggesting an alternative either as I will probably be told it's **** or overrated anyway.

it was far too easy to multiple vote

Crunchyroll are seemingly very adamant that they had "strong anti-cheating methods".

tFL17.png

tFLq7.png

The Crunchyroll award sucked balls anyway. the nominee's we far too narrow and it was far too easy to multiple vote. Yuri On Ice may be one of the biggest shows of the year but it certainly isn't anime of the year. I'm not suggesting an alternative either as I will probably be told it's **** or overrated anyway.
You said in the past you didn't even see it, and wouldn't because you don't like sports shows. How can you say with such authority that it isn't anime of the year?

You said in the past you didn't even see it, and wouldn't because you don't like sports shows. How can you say with such authority that it isn't anime of the year?

Unless you have seen every single anime last year you could apply that rule to any show. There was some really great anime last year but many were not included in the lists so it narrows down your options. It was easy to multiple vote, you just needed another computer or IP address.

Unless you have seen every single anime last year you could apply that rule to any show. There was some really great anime last year but many were not included in the lists so it narrows down your options. It was easy to multiple vote, you just needed another computer or IP address.
I saw all of thirty seconds of Mob Psycho 100. I can't say it isn't Anime of the Year, I can say it isn't Anime of the Year for me. Expecting people to work out the objective Anime of the Year based on the thoughts of the entire community and vote like that is silly, and I suspect actually Yuri!!! on Ice would have still won. By all means, be upset something else specific didn't win, but attacking Yuri!!! on Ice when you haven't even seen any of it is stupid and does not cast you in the best light.

There have been plenty of accusations that Yuri!!! on Ice fans were encouraging each other to multiple vote on Tumblr, nobody's ever found any evidence. Which is weird given how public and generally quite archived Tumblr is...

As an aside, isn't it interesting that "cheating" always works in the other guy's favour and never yours?

I saw all of thirty seconds of Mob Psycho 100. I can't say it isn't Anime of the Year, I can say it isn't Anime of the Year for me. Expecting people to work out the objective Anime of the Year based on the thoughts of the entire community and vote like that is silly, and I suspect actually Yuri!!! on Ice would have still won. By all means, be upset something else specific didn't win, but attacking Yuri!!! on Ice when you haven't even seen any of it is stupid and does not cast you in the best light.

There have been plenty of accusations that Yuri!!! on Ice fans were encouraging each other to multiple vote on Tumblr, nobody's ever found any evidence. Which is weird given how public and generally quite archived Tumblr is...

As an aside, isn't it interesting that "cheating" always works in the other guy's favour and never yours?

Yeah I am a bit miffed as I could think of a few shows that should have won in it's place. For the record nowhere on my post does it specifically say Yuri on Ice is crap so I fail to see how I'm attacking the show? Its more the result, honestly though reviews seem to range from being the savior of anime to OMG this is a pile of shite.

If people want to multiple vote its up to them really Crunchyroll should have restricted the vote to members only avoiding the whole cheating debate.

Yeah I am a bit miffed as I could think of a few shows that should have won in it's place. For the record nowhere on my post does it specifically say Yuri on Ice is crap so I fail to see how I'm attacking the show? Its more the result, honestly though reviews seem to range from being the savior of anime to OMG this is a pile of shite.

If people want to multiple vote its up to them really Crunchyroll should have restricted the vote to members only avoiding the whole cheating debate.

You explicitly state it's not anime of the year, you haven't even seen it. You also proceed to slag off the awards, criticise the nominations and subsequently suggest it's fans had cheated to get it to win.

If you're just disappointed Mob Psycho or Re:ZERO or whatever didn't win, why not phrase it as "I'm disappointed [show] didn't win", why phrase it as "The awards sucked balls, Yuri!!! on Ice wasn't anime of the year"?

I'm beginning to wonder if half the people on Twitter slagging it off even gave the show an earnest try or whether they're just upset something ostensibly aimed at a female audience won...

The whole reason I don't mention a particular show it that I cant be bothered to get into an argument about it which would inevitably happen. I can criticize the awards as they were flawed it's as simple as that really. I haven't seen Mob Psycho so that wouldn't be in my list either.

Last edited:
Here I thought the awards were long over, but it seems Crunchyroll stretched it out a full month into the new year. Decided to give it a proper look and now I get why many complain about the selection of the nominations. Based on theses awards 2016 seems to have only featured 6~7 shows.

In any case, I don't see a reason to start discussing these awards as:
  • Shows winning a category doesn't make them any better, nor does not winning a category make the other shows any less
  • They don't really let you reflect on the past year of anime as the selection is way to narrow (unless that happens to be all the new anime you've watched)
  • They don't make you want to watch any of the nominated shows as they blatantly spoil major points of practically all of them
Does anybody remember the "slideshow"-esque year review on Hummingbird? They only did it for 2013 I believe and I have no idea how/who/based on what it was made, but I thought it was a nice way to reflect on the year. From what I remember it simply showed screenshots of various shows with quotes on top. It did 'rank' the anime in various genres, but gave equal focus to the top 3 or so and didn't have shows in multiple categories (or perhaps it did). This actually made me pick up a few shows. Sadly they didn't do it for any of the following years.

Can we just rename it to the Crunchyroll Anime Popularity Contest so that all of the armchair fan elite can stop worrying that women, skating fans, non-heterosexuals and woman-sympathisers are destroying anime? I mean, YOI would still win regardless but I'll take a title change if it makes the raging stop.

I loved YOI. It wasn't my personal show of the year but I've yet to be convinced by any of the arguments that it doesn't deserve its accolade. Looks good, sounds good, good plot, made actual history in how far it took it, sold like absolute hotcakes despite being a sports show, still picking up a ton of media interest, popular all over the world - yep, seems legit.

R

Can we just rename it to the Crunchyroll Anime Popularity Contest so that all of the armchair fan elite can stop worrying that women, skating fans, non-heterosexual and woman-sympathisers are destroying anime? I mean, YOI would still win regardless but I'll take a title change if it makes the raging stop.

I loved YOI. It wasn't my personal show of the year but I've yet to be convinced by any of the arguments that it doesn't deserve its accolade. Looks good, sounds good, good plot, made actual history in how far it took it, sold like absolute hotcakes despite being a sports show, still picking up a ton of media interest, popular all over the world - yep, seems legit.

Having been through the Crunchyroll forums, I don't think that would stop them complaining. The people on those forums come across as having a intolerance towards shows that are popular almost as great as that of TV critics for The Guardian have towards sitcoms that have a studio audience in them (a bit of advice - don't read pieces by Sam Wollaston. He comes as someone who if he was at a stand-up gig would be shouting at the audience to keep quiet because all their laughing would be spoiling his enjoyment).

Can we just rename it to the Crunchyroll Anime Popularity Contest so that all of the armchair fan elite can stop worrying that women, skating fans, non-heterosexual and woman-sympathisers are destroying anime? I mean, YOI would still win regardless but I'll take a title change if it makes the raging stop.
Everybody could stop raging if they stopped caring so much about awards, as though other people's opinions of the things we like or don't like matter in any way at all...

Honestly, I have to wonder why anyone cares about this or the Oscars. If you ask me a lot of people are far too concerned by what other people think.

The people on those forums come across as having a intolerance towards shows that are popular

I'm not sure if this is true. JoJo is a massively popular show, but if that won, I don't think there'd be anywhere near as much uproar, at least not from the CR crowd. I think it'd be more accurate to say they're mad because a popular show won that they don't like/isn't aimed at them. I don't like to generalise, but I do imagine the majority of the people on there weren't exactly the demographic for YOI.

Not sure how relevant it is, but I'd be super curious to see what YOI fan reaction would have been like if it had lost in all its categories somehow. Would they be as volatile as all the YOI haters are now?

I'm not sure if this is true. JoJo is a massively popular show, but if that won, I don't think there'd be anywhere near as much uproar, at least not from the CR crowd. I think it'd be more accurate to say they're mad because a popular show won that they don't like/isn't aimed at them. I don't like to generalise, but I do imagine the majority of the people on there weren't exactly the demographic for YOI.

Not sure how relevant it is, but I'd be super curious to see what YOI fan reaction would have been like if it had lost in all its categories somehow. Would they be as volatile as all the YOI haters are now?

You might be right on the first point. Concerning the second paragraph, I'd say that given how much YOI fans campaigned to win the awards, if it turned out they didn't win any of the categories it would be more suspicious than the scenario we currently have and wouldn't surprise me at all that they would be angrier.

That would indeed be interesting. While it's inevitable that there would always be the odd nutter, I suspect that on the whole they wouldn't care; not because I think YOI fans are especially enlightened but simply because frankly speaking, anime shows overtly aimed at women rarely win anything anyway unless people run awards specifically for those titles. The sense of culture shock would be far weaker. People are still in abject denial that the market has changed, years and years after the changes actually took place.

Speaking for myself, I voted for YOI in a couple of categories and if it hadn't won, I'd just have shrugged and moved on. I'm only getting involved in the debate because it's gone in such a bizarre direction which completely eclipses the valid ideas people are bringing up (e.g. the spoilers in the nominations and the lack of transparency in the nomination process).

I don't think all that many of the objections are even about YOI itself or the objective quality of the show, which I maintain is perfectly high enough to deserve awards. It's about what YOI represents, however it's dressed up in excuses and misdirection. To be fair I don't think many of the complainers even realise where their anger is coming from either.

R

You might be right on the first point. Concerning the second paragraph, I'd say that given how much YOI fans campaigned to win the awards, if it turned out they didn't win any of the categories it would be more suspicious than the scenario we currently have and wouldn't surprise me at all that they would be angrier.

See, that's the thing, I also think YOI fans would be going mad too, going on about how it's a fix just as much as the haters are now, and it just proves that CR wouldn't have ran this award without significant backlash. No matter what won, they'd get massive backlash from either side of the YOI based fence.

At the very least, if YOI somehow lost. I think the tone of the criticism would be different. I think the attacks would be mostly focused on the show and not the people who voted for it (unless some T&A-based show won). And I think we can say with absolute certainty there probably wouldn't be the sexist/homophobic overtones and the constant questioning of the level of fandom of people who voted for it.

I'm not sure anybody's annoyed they're upset, but more at the form that anger and upset has taken.

Back