Yuri!!! On Ice wins all the Crunchyroll Anime Awards it was nominated for (literally)

b9edd4fda5fa2f484c5519b60075a03fb610fc15382e9c3f64ce369e97e113d5_1.jpg

For some reason I went to see the thread (kill me now) and the thing that stood out most were the people who were happy to let it have less prestigious awards like Best Couple but seething with rage over Best Animation. It's interesting to see because it's kind of elitist, even though I doubt the posters think it sounds that way.

(Also, the animation was freaking incredible within the constraints of television anime, and I'm going to keep saying that until I'm blue in the face. Not to say that other shows didn't have good animation too.)

R

For some reason I went to see the thread (kill me now) and the thing that stood out most were the people who were happy to let it have less prestigious awards like Best Couple but seething with rage over Best Animation. It's interesting to see because it's kind of elitist, even though I doubt the posters think it sounds that way.

(Also, the animation was freaking incredible within the constraints of television anime, and I'm going to keep saying that until I'm blue in the face. Not to say that other shows didn't have good animation too.)

R

Again, that's something very subjective. I imagine the reason there's so much salt about animation in particular is that it's probably the category most people think it deserved the least, and I'd be inclined to agree. I thought it was a fairly average looking show, and obviously a lot of others did too. People look for a lot of different things in animation, and obviously for you, it ticked the right boxes, but for a lot of people, it probably didn't.

But then again 49% who voted thought it was best of the nominees you cannot say all are real votes but that majority when are 4 nominations and a choose your own cannot be ignored.

But then again 49% who voted thought it was best of the nominees you cannot say all are real votes but that majority when are 4 nominations and a choose your own cannot be ignored.

As much as I'll likely get crusified for saying so, I'll probably say the animation category is the one where the fan base took over the most, and likely voted it because it was YOI and not because they actually thought it was the best. With YOI having such mainstream appeal, I have to question how many of the voters have seen the other candidates, or how many wouldn't have voted at all if YOI wasn't a candidate. I'm sure there are some who did think it was the best, and more power to them, but it's almost undeniably the least deserving accolade it got, and that's not just me, a lot of people will tell you that. Hell, I'm almost certain I remember you saying you voted it for best animation out of spite of those poor quality screenshots floating around Twitter.

I'm pretty sure I can take unflattering in-between shots of any non-theatrical anime ever made if I want to make a straw man argument that an art form entirely based on motion is bad based on stills. I've probably seen more animations than most of the posters in that thread have had hot dinners, and I don't think that my sudden overwhelming lust for Victor's nice hair blew my mind to the extent that I started imagining the animation was better than it was.

You're right, of course, that it's subjective - somewhere out there, there's a person who thinks the animation in Hand Shakers is the most incredible visual experience ever made (and I'll certainly agree that it's, uh, unique) but given the level of ambition and visual appeal in Yuuri!!! On Ice, I really can't sulk that it won best animation. Especially when the only other contenders were quite experimental stylistically (Mob Psycho) or unavailable legally to people who aren't minted or in a limited subset of countries (Kabaneri). Flip Flappers had excellent animation too from what I saw; I wouldn't have been surprised if that did well in the category too but it seems to have ended up with a passionate niche audience due to its more abstract storytelling. Had I voted it wouldn't have been for the show I dropped after just one episode when the one I watched all the way through also looked fantastic :(

R

Iron Fortress had outstanding animation, regardless of what you think of the show I suspect Limited streaming options hampered it. I would seriously doubt Yuri on Ice has superior animation.

I would have liked to see Kabaneri beyond a few minutes of the first episode but the screwed-up streaming really killed it dead for me. Not sure I'll ever bother going back for it now, which is a shame as I do like the retro designs a lot.

R

I'm getting fed up of people that clearly haven't seen YOI criticising it. If their issue is that Re:Zero/some other show didn't win, why not phrase it like that instead? Why should your vote be worth more than anybody else's? If you can't come up with a reason that doesn't involve making assumptions about other people, their gender/sexuality, therir ability for independent thought or their level of fandom, then you should probably pipe down.

Also, if you're using two cropped screenshots of in betweens, clearly designed to show a work in the worst possible light, and clearly being used as a proxy criticism for other things, as a judge for the animation quality of the entire show, I would suggest you are the one incapable of independent thought and following some stupid hivemind.

I think it's fairly obvious why Yuri On Ice swept the Crunchyroll Anime Awards with such significant leads in every category - because it's a recent, popular show with a very passionate, vocal fanbase and at the end of the day, these awards amount to little more than a popularity contest. However, I have to ask - is there actually anything wrong with that?
Frankly, I find it amazing that an anime has resonated with enough people to result in such a strong showing - even if the show personally isn't my cup of tea. While I would personally contest it winning Best Moment over Erased (that scene was so damn powerful and heart-breaking), I voted one way and the majority voted another - that's just how these things work.

While I dislike a lot of the sentiment surrounding Yuri On Ice's sweep though, I do feel that genuine concerns have been raised that should be addressed if Crunchyroll host a 2017 Awards. Namely, to avoid the practice or accusation of ballot-stuffing, perhaps future voting should be restricted to Premium Members or Free Users who registered before a certain cut-off? Also to be honest (and I mean this more in general, not about YOI), some of the nominees were just awful - I mean, just look at the Best Villain category and how such a small pool of titles filled such broad categories. Maybe it would actually be better for the public to vote for the nominations, then the panel select the overall winners?

Back