Yuri!!! On Ice wins all the Crunchyroll Anime Awards it was nominated for (literally)

Namely, to avoid the practice or accusation of ballot-stuffing, perhaps future voting should be restricted to Premium Members or Free Users who registered before a certain cut-off?

I didn't bother voting because I thought similarly to you that some of the nominees were awful, but are you telling me people could just simply load up a page and vote without needing an X age account or even an account for that matter?

I didn't bother voting because I thought similarly to you that some of the nominees were awful, but are you telling me people could just simply load up a page and vote without needing an X age account or even an account for that matter?
Yes. There were no restrictions to voting at all. I heard some rumblings about the site apparently recognising if you've voted before, but there were also known exploits to get around that. If votes were tied to an account however, at least there would be more concrete logs that you have already voted.

I don't think there's any (one-sided) ballot stuffing likely to have been happening but both suggestions (open nominations and one vote per active account) sound reasonable and easy to implement. I suppose there's a risk that the same four shows would be nominated in absolutely every category or that the current favourite would be nominated in even more categories (imagine Kira beaten out by J.J., or the action in Drifters beaten out by Chris prancing on a pole etc). Some rules about nominations to allow them to filter for quality might be good.

R

To be honest, I'm with @Joshawott, I don't think the awards particularly are a measure of quality so much as a measure of popularity. Nobody expects The Act of Killing to win an MTV Movie Award, but that doesn't invalidate the MTV Movie Awards. They just serve a different purpose, and no matter how the awards are cut or handed out, there is always going to be a huge snub somewhere. It doesn't invalidate the MTV Movie Awards, it just means I won't be formulating my viewing list based on Best On-Screen Kiss nominees. (Not that I would anyway, kissing is gross. :()

And we know from the UKA Awards discussion thread, that even after they gave out awards via committee, a couple of the committee members later expressed disappointment KIZNAIVER didn't get nominated for Best OP. So there is no infallible way of making sure the "best" titles always win or even get nominations. That said 4 seems like too small a number to get a good spread of shows and examples, when there's thousands of hours of animation a year.

I don't know that the nominees were particularly varied enough, but maybe people's expectations are unreasonable. Nominating a sequel season, carries the expectation people will watch the previous seasons, which in the case of JoJo's is 70-odd episodes. I don't know that I'd expect new episodes of anything that isn't a major long-running shonen from WSJ or Kodansha's Weekly Shonen Magazine to stand a chance compared to a "one-shot" series. I absolutely loved Blood Blockade Battlefront last year, I was rather disappointed it didn't get many nominations in UKA's Awards, but it doesn't mean the awards are bad or the show is bad, it just means UKA's staff didn't like it (or maybe didn't see it). I like lots of obscure and weird things other people don't (like the World Trigger anime), that doesn't invalidate their opinion or my opinion, it just means I'm more awesome (or something like that)! :p

I don't know that restricting the awards to Premium Members is especially fair, as it cuts off members on low income or those too young to have access to a PayPal account, or even those that tried things during the last season but didn't like them. Maybe Free Members who registered before the nominations were announced would work. I have also seen suggestions that the awards should be restricted those that Crunchyroll can confirm have watched three-quarters of the nominees, which seems like a bad idea as it limits the nominees to titles for which Crunchyroll holds streaming rights, potentially excluding many foreign fans and dub viewers, and their viewing tracker doesn't seem all that accurate to me. (I can't seem to get it work online, but it works fine on their apps.) Maybe restricting it to Free Members who registered before the nominations were announced would work, but more making it more substantial systems start to unfairly(?) exclude certain groups.

The complaints about exploits of the voting system seem like a distraction to me. The assumption that Yuri!!! on Ice fans were doing it, but fans of other shows weren't, is a clear and insulting attempt to deligitimise votes for Yuri!!! on Ice. This is not to say the complaints about the voting system are invalid, just that tying them to Yuri!!! on Ice's victory specifically seems unfair when for all we know ERASED fans might have been doing it as well/instead.

As an aside, the amount of people criticising Yuri!!! on Ice fans for not knowing enough about animation, whilst also referring to it (seemingly meaning the entire show) as being rotoscoped is doing my nut in. Tracing some sequences and rotoscoping the entire show are different things. Yuri!!! on Ice deserves credit for successfully incorporating and including several sequences that involved tracing from other sources, but never letting them feel or look out of place in comparison to the rest of the show. Also, rotoscoping and tracing are legitimate animation techniques, that have been used for sequences in Terror in Resonance, as well as apparently backgrounds in Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, why is everyone being so dismissive here?

Mainly came here to post this:

15940652_234975183623156_2950961286672099561_n.jpg

But the impression I get is that the notion of rotoscoping being literally Hitler just stuck after Flowers of Evil.

But the impression I get is that the notion of rotoscoping being literally Hitler just stuck after Flowers of Evil.

But Yuri!!! on Ice supposedly isn't rotoscoped, only it's skating sequences are, though I've never seen a source I'd consider reliable to confirm either of these claims. This is the issue.

Stupid people are spreading inaccuracies/half-truths to criticise Yuri!!! on Ice, whilst also criticising it's fans for not knowing enough, and I'm just sat here like "Bite Me."

I think it's fair to say that the current nomination process already allowed for some titles that perhaps didn't achieve the reach they deserved, like Flip Flappers and Flying Witch, to receive nominations where they may not have done if that was open to the public as well. I think the issue is more with the general diversity though, with shows like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Mob Psycho 100 and yes, Yuri!!! On Ice each being nominated in at least 7 of the 14 categories (Kabaneri had 9 and didn't even win 1, pfft). Perhaps there could be a cap on how many nominations a series can receive, to allow room for more diverse choices?

I have also seen suggestions that the awards should be restricted those that Crunchyroll can confirm have watched three-quarters of the nominees
The Academy Awards need to do that with their nominations before Crunchyroll...

I think it's fair to say that the current nomination process already allowed for some titles that perhaps didn't achieve the reach they deserved, like Flip Flappers and Flying Witch, to receive nominations where they may not have done if that was open to the public as well. I think the issue is more with the general diversity though, with shows like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Mob Psycho 100 and yes, Yuri!!! On Ice each being nominated in at least 7 of the 14 categories (Kabaneri had 9 and didn't even win 1, pfft).

The more cynically minded might suggest things were flipped that way round, because Crunchyroll wanted to give shows they distribute an extra push. Not saying that happened, but Kabaneri, Psycho and the excessive level of promo they did for YOI would certainly suggest it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

The more cynically minded might suggest things were flipped that way round, because Crunchyroll wanted to give shows they distribute an extra push. Not saying that happened, but Kabaneri, Psycho and the excessive level of promo they did for YOI would certainly suggest it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.
Considering it was Crunchyroll's awards and there wasn't a single title on the ballot that they weren't somehow involved with, I think bias was expected and obvious tbh (they have home video for Kabaneri and while not currently on their streaming service, their relationship with Funimation potentially throws My Hero Academia's impartiality into doubt). But then again, the number of legally available television anime titles that neither Crunchyroll or Funimation have any involvement in, must be pretty slim (I think Long Riders is the only one from 2016 that immediately comes to mind?). So the fact that they have access to so much, probably balanced the scales.

To be honest, if they had just branded it "The Crunchyroll Anime Awards", instead of trying to step on Geoff Keighley's toes, that would have been a non-issue.

I'm going to have to watch this show aren't I? I swear, I have never ever seen so much discussion/debate about a show on here in my life, except maybe Mr. Osomastu but that was just a few of us haha, although I'm tempted to start that up again after hearing about the horse shagging WTF (I don't like it when horses have their dignity impinged).

I was going to avoid Yuri on Ice because I have mostly negative experiences of ice skating. I used to go down to Ally Pally ice rink every weekend as a little fella, until I got bullied by some older boys who harshly pointed out the fact that I couldn't actually ice skate and was just clumsily walking on the ice thinking I was. I was then going to go ice skating with my ex girlfriend, but we missed the chance and were going to do it in the next winter, but then I lost my mind. Now I don't think I'll ever have anyone special to ice skate with ever again.

whoa, sorry for that. I don't have many people to talk to,

That's one of the reasons why I actually follow Awards @Vashdaman - back when it started, I tried Yuri!!! On Ice before deciding it wasn't for me and quickly dropped it, but now? Should I find the time, I might give it another shot, just because of the acclaim it's getting. Similarly, I don't really go out of my way to watch a lot of western non-franchise movies (I should), but seeing so much hype around La La Land and Manchester By The Sea has definitely piqued my interest in seeing them if I can.

(If it's any consolation, my awful sense of balance from my dyspraxia totally kills any chances of me being able to personally take up ice-skating).

Last edited:
Honestly Vash from what you say about skating you will probably like the series even more. It's worth giving the first episode a shot. You will then be confused by Chris a little while later.

The horse-themed Osomatsu-san episode is a standalone special which aired a few weeks ago so you can skip straight to that episode if all you want to do is weep at the situation :D

R

I call bull on this poll on one basis alone; Rem is disqualified as best girl as to have the title of "best" you need a spine and she lacks any sort of vertebrae for Suburu's crap.

I call bull on this poll on one basis alone; Rem is disqualified as best girl as to have the title of "best" you need a spine and she lacks any sort of vertebrae for Suburu's crap.
She's already brutally murdered him a couple of times, so I think she gets a pass there :p

They haven't mentioned it on Crunchyroll itself yet, but according to their Facebook and Twitter accounts, the winner of the "Anime of the Year" award is "Yuri!!! On Ice". This means that the show has official won half of the Crunchyroll Anime Awards.

Crunchyroll on Twitter

Back