Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Just received a generic reply from studio canal.

We have now established a player specific problem effecting the When Marnie Was There Blu-ray disc, a new disc is currently being replicated and will be available in the coming weeks in October.

As you have unfortunately been effected by this problem please contact: [email protected]

Our sincere apologies for this technical error. (Player specific my potatoes!)

Just a quick update. I actually sent a mail to say I didn't need replacements as I've already returned them. Unsurprisingly the response was automated and didn't take into account what I'd said. I also got 2 responses from 2 separate email addresses with largely the same info.

Anyone that didn't contact them regarding it but wants to get a replacement (I'd recommend everyone does for the sake of future proofing/not inadvertently knackering your drive):

Thank you for your email regarding the “When Marnie Was There” Blu Ray disc recall.

Can we ask you kindly follow the below process in order to obtain your replacement disc.

1. Package your disc in an envelope and include the below details written clearly on a piece of paper:

Your name and delivery address. We will send the replacement disc here.

Your email address. This will allow us to notify you when your replacement disc is on its way.

1. Return this to the below FREEPOST address:

FREEPOST

RSRY-ABJG-UJBJ

When Marnie Was There

Technicolor Home Entertainment (Returns)

c/o Barsan Global Logistics

Pilgrims Walk, Keresley End

Coventry

CV6 4QG

Please only send us the Blu Ray disc itself as we will be unable to replace any other items if these are returned in error.

Once we have received and processed your disc (usually within 5 working days of receipt) we will send you a replacement disc via 1st class post and notify you of this via email. For reassurance your replacement disc will be packaged in a plain slimline case to ensure it is well protected during transport.

Please note that if you send this back within the next few days there may be a slight delay in sending your replacement discs while we await stocks from the manufacturer. We will endeavor to notify you of this if it is expected to be more than the above quoted lead time.

Kind Regards,

Ben Smith

Technicolor Customer Service

I'd still like to know what they're doing about the mass of disks already out in the wild. Amazon seem to have sent them back to the supplier but a lot of other online companies are still happily selling away. I suspect Studio Canal are opting for the keep quiet route as opposed to recalling and replacing all stock with fixed disks. Maybe someone with more weight could look into it?

Well, I'm stuffed because my copy of When Marnie Was There is needed as evidence in a police investigation. I've specifically been instructed to not touch the shrink-wrap, so the police can check for finger prints.

Well, I sent my disc off this morning, hopefully this process will go smoothly. At the very least it's happening quicker than Anime Limited's replacement schemes did.

Well, I sent my disc off this morning, hopefully this process will go smoothly. At the very least it's happening quicker than Anime Limited's replacement schemes did.
Canal are being way less up front about it though, you'd have to know to email them if you wanted instructions, and even then you have to post the other copy back.

Still, also posted mine today too, so good luck to us both I guess!

So will fixed versions make their way to Amazon then? I see Amazon no longer sell it directly so I'm hoping it'll be fixed and then re-listed to save me the bother of sending discs back.

Just to note I've received a reply.

"I can confirm that we have received your disc and a replacement has been processed. We will start shipping replacement orders early next week via 1st class mail and these are usually delivered within 1-2 working days. However we would ask you kindly allow until 07/11/16 for delivery. This will be delivered to the address you provided with your returned disc."

Psycho Pass the movie's original Japanese language track is awful. Does that count? It's about 50% spoken Engrish that is laughably bad :p. Not Andrew's fault but damn is it disappointing lol.

I received my replacement Marnie disc this morning. I just tested it and it seems to work properly.

Fun fact: this Marnie release is the only time I've ever watched the DVD from a combi-pack.

It's kinda confusing that both versions of Marnie are still listed on Amazon. Only easy way to tell them apart is the release date. Looks like the replacement version is being sold for cheaper too.

It's kinda confusing that both versions of Marnie are still listed on Amazon. Only easy way to tell them apart is the release date. Looks like the replacement version is being sold for cheaper too.

Got my replacement When Marnie Was There today. Zavvi annoyed me by insisting on sending me a replacement, when I sent back the original for a refund, but they put a little sugar on top by replacing my standards Blu-ray with the Collector's Edition with the digipack and postcards. Plus thet delivered my FMA UE without a scratch so I can't stay mad at them for long.

Gave the Blu-ray a play and it plays back just as it should, smoothly, no clunking.

Back