UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

That Outlaw Star release is just what i've been craving. Haven't bought an AL release for many months now as it seemed quite a few were just Funimation products but you can be sure i'll be pre-ordering this set as soon as it's up on Amazon \(^▽^)/

Also very surprised at that price, i'd figure a set like this wouldn't be 59.99 even after discounts have been applied!

Last edited:
Finally pre-ordered Origin 4. The series is complete!!

...Until the Loum chapters start.

CTwo7Xh.jpg

I think I'd like to pick up Outlaw Star on Blu-ray but I'd probably be more inclined to get a bare-bones release. It's an interesting show but it's a bit mixed, there are some pretty great episodes but it's far from consistent and the storytelling is a little disappointing at times. Saying that, I do like the art and general feel of the show so I wouldn't mind the fancy set but I'm not sure I could fully justify the cost (at least partly because I'm trying to be more cautious at the moment, not that I'm necessarily succeeding).

Okay, if the UK release of No-rin is not being authored locally, then where is it being authored, as Madman's website stated that their release was in NTSC format (unless they made a mistake)?

I can see where you are coming from here but you're missing a very important piece of the puzzle. Madman's discs are different to ours in a key way. Namely they are NTSC but also Region 4 only. UK discs would have been NTSC and Region 2 which matches how Japan can watch anime on DVD (Region 2, NTSC colour code).

So basically the UK is a victim of some licensors who are still concerned about counter importation of DVD product. I'm not currently aware of the stats for that in Japan (I always thought BD would be more).

So TL;DR - Funimation are doing it themselves :).

Best,

AP

I can see where you are coming from here but you're missing a very important piece of the puzzle. Madman's discs are different to ours in a key way. Namely they are NTSC but also Region 4 only. UK discs would have been NTSC and Region 2 which matches how Japan can watch anime on DVD (Region 2, NTSC colour code).

So basically the UK is a victim of some licensors who are still concerned about counter importation of DVD product. I'm not currently aware of the stats for that in Japan (I always thought BD would be more).

Best,

AP
Why couldnt you remove the listing and just create a new BD only listing? Most people would prefer that to a delay for inferior DVDs.

I will be throwing some money Anime Limited's way for the Outlaw Star blu-ray release. I have fond memories of watching the series on Toonami and that set looks great.

Why couldnt you remove the listing and just create a new BD only listing? Most people would prefer that to a delay for inferior DVDs.

Because in order of priority:

A) It would mean new design approvals (even changes like DUAL FORMAT etc have to be approved) - ergo approval time.

B) It would mean cancelling all pre-orders with no guarantee people would re-order (which is a common concern).

C) Not all retailers are the same there and some wouldn't bother necessarily relisting with a close release date within this quarter.

D) Work to provide said discs from Funimation are now underway.

AP

Best,

AP

Thanks. I got a little confused. If anything, I'm surprised that Funimation is doing it, considering they're based in an the US, which is an NTSC territory. I thought the masters would've been handled in a PAL country. Then again, Anime Limited (which you're a part of) and Madman authored NTSC discs locally (if I'm correct), and the UK and Australia are both PAL territories, so it can be done.

Speaking of reverse importation issues (and sorry if this goes a bit off topic), I'm surprised (in one way) that some UK and Australian BDs are still affected by the locked subtitles issue, despite UK and Japan having different region codes (UK and Australia being Region B and Japan being Region A).

Speaking of reverse importation issues (and sorry if this goes a bit off topic), I'm surprised (in one way) that some UK and Australian BDs are still affected by the locked subtitles issue, despite UK and Japan having different region codes (UK and Australia being Region B and Japan being Region A).
Most of the time UK/AU releases use the exact same disc master as the US, sometimes even down to the region coding (Regions A+B) so any instances of locked subtitles will carry over. It's not surprising if locked subs are mandated for overseas releases still though because, as Aniplex USA haters on ANN will tell you, it's cheaper to import a Region B player and Region B discs. It probably is effective to some extent as you can usually find negative reviews on Amazon JP for titles with locked subs.

I suppose DVD buyers are more likely to be looking for a cheaper option and so they may be more inclined to import if it's available and still works out cheaper with the additional costs (I suppose that'd be more likely at the moment). I'm not entirely convinced it'd actually be worth it but I suppose I can see the reasoning behind it (and it would be interesting to see if there are reliable stats).

Still, I'd hope those licensors are willing to absorb the additional costs of creating the new discs (possibly including loss of potential sales).

Looks like the US fans are not pleased with the Gundam Reconguista in G authoring:
Is there a reason why Rightstuf didn't produce the Gundam Reconguista in G Blu Ray? The Blu Ray has white subtitles without a good black border so the subtitles instead bleed and blend into the background. If anyone had even bothered to watch this for a couple minutes they should have noticed this MAJOR flaw. I know we weren't going to get a great release like the Japanese version with it's booklets,interviews,round tables,audio commentaries etc... But we can't even get decent readable subs?. There is even some potential encoding issues. Also no subs for the Openings and Ending This is a straight up garbage release since it was handled by All The Anime instead.

We're sorry that you are unhappy with All The Anime's work on Reconguista and we'll make sure to pass the information on to them. They are one of Sunrise's collaborators for the release of Gundam world-wide and we often help one another out to make sure that Gundam can succeed on a global level. We appreciate that you have noticed the extra efforts that we take on our own work, such as translating and adding subtitles for the openings and closings. There's a lot of behind-the-scenes work we do to make sure that everything we do meets with current U.S. fan expectations and we hope that you will continue to support our work. - Kris

Looks like the US fans are not pleased with the Gundam Reconguista in G authoring:
While I couldn't care less about subs on the OP and ED, white subs without a decent black border would be ridiculous and makes them look like a bunch of amateurs tbh so I'd be curious to see them myself (I mean, are they different to Anime Limiteds usual subs?). I'd also like to know what he/she means by encoding issues....

I have to admit, I find it a little disappointing when a release lacks subtitles for the OP/ED of a show. Samurai Flamenco has the same issue, I'm wondering if the authoring would have been done by the same people (though I don't recall having any issues with the font but then I'm pretty flexible/forgiving/imperceptive on that). If it is the same people then maybe it's an @Anime issue (I think the French side were responsible for Samurai Flamenco), though presumably they'd have contracted out.

Either way, I can't help feeling a little bad for our friendly local anime distributors, even if it is maybe kind of sort of their responsibility (or at least their wider company's responsibility).

Back