UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Fear not! Youtube's impeccable machine translation system can be deployed, to an unhelpful but still amusing end.
I swear it mondegreened the woman as saying "It's so great to talk to your Nazi army in British"

So even automated subtitles are getting political about the UK.

So I just saw the final result of the Shinkai double pack and overall I love the design however 2 things I want to nitpick on:
  • DVD sized; this is rather out of nowhere. While I don't mind it but it's going to be inconsistent with the rest of the sets.
  • Blu-ray disc; The issue isn't the fact that everything is on 1 disc (heck Voices is only 30 minutes) but it's the naming of the disc. Why not call it Place Promised & Voices? or have 'with Voices..' in a small text. Unfortunately there's no point in changing it now because it's just going to get delayed again due to re-approving everything.
  • I'm also disappointed that it's 2 DVD cases rather than a digipack, heck Blu-ray cases I wouldn't mind either but you can't get everything.
I'll still buy the set regardless but my expectations have been too high unfortunately.

So I just saw the final result of the Shinkai double pack and overall I love the design however 2 things I want to nitpick on:
  • DVD sized; this is rather out of nowhere. While I don't mind it but it's going to be inconsistent with the rest of the sets.
  • Blu-ray disc; The issue isn't the fact that everything is on 1 disc (heck Voices is only 30 minutes) but it's the naming of the disc. Why not call it Place Promised & Voices? or have 'with Voices..' in a small text. Unfortunately there's no point in changing it now because it's just going to get delayed again due to re-approving everything.
  • I'm also disappointed that it's 2 DVD cases rather than a digipack, heck Blu-ray cases I wouldn't mind either but you can't get everything.
I'll still buy the set regardless but my expectations have been too high unfortunately.

I'm incredibly disappointed by the lack of Bluray amarays or digipack. Even the Space Dandy collector's edition DVD used bluray amarays, so this just feels a bit insulting. I'd even have preferred one of those awful not-steelbooks like Empire of Corpses that Andrew was considering at one point.

Still buying it, but I really hope this is a one-off and not something we'll see with future movie CEs.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Seems so stupid to suddenly switch to a DVD sized set. I also don't understand why the disc with Voices on it has no indication that it has Voices on it, again stupid. And again I would have been happy enough with 2 BD cases (I would not have been happy with one of those steelbox abominations like Jaysbga, he must be a madman or something) but 2 dvd cases is disappointing which I guess is fitting at this point, and that's a shame as the artwork and general design is very nice imo.

Last edited:
Any news of concrete revolutio? I would really like a blu ray set for both halves so I can watch it all at once but I'm aware that it isn't the most popular or widely known show. I wouldn't mind a funi release assuming funi are releasing it themselves but just being available in the UK in any form would be really cool.

Pretty much my thoughts too. Seems so stupid to suddenly switch to a DVD sized set. I also don't understand why the disc with Voices on it has no indication that it has Voices on it, again stupid. And again I would have been happy enough with 2 BD cases (I would not have been happy with one of those steelbox abominations like Jaysbga, he must be a madman or something) but 2 dvd cases is disappointing which I guess is fitting at this point, and that's a shame as the artwork and general design is very nice imo.

I absolutely hate those steelboxes, as Andrew is well aware, but I still think one would be, albeit marginally, better than this insulting mess we're getting.

1) Not DVD sized, that's just a render. As guessed by Azar, it's clear cases there used in the render of the sample, they are definitely BD cases so breathe easy.

2) It's a case of approvals - basically as that BD has to sit in one of the two Amarays (or I break it in half and you need sellotape to use it) we went with one label over the other there. As it is, vaguely sure it may have actually changed since to reflect that - don't hold me to that.

3) See (1) and it was done as the costs for the two as 2 x Digipacks would be too expensive vs price and there was no good aesthetic option for a shared digipack. Doing Collector's Editions of films is way harder than series unsurprisingly!

Hope this re-aligns things :)!

AP

Any news of concrete revolutio? I would really like a blu ray set for both halves so I can watch it all at once but I'm aware that it isn't the most popular or widely known show. I wouldn't mind a funi release assuming funi are releasing it themselves but just being available in the UK in any form would be really cool.

No word yet - it's on the cards though :)! As soon as we can set a date, we'll let folks know!

AP

In regards to Shinkai why is it a double pack couldnt it have been just a BD set with 2 BD discs

A BD for a 30 minute piece is just too expensive to do - it'd have meant no room for nice packaging and for now discerning reason other than to later sell the two separately (which I don't believe would be value for money).

A second DVD made sense cost wise though and kept some balance we felt :).

AP

A BD for a 30 minute piece is just too expensive to do - it'd have meant no room for nice packaging and for now discerning reason other than to later sell the two separately (which I don't believe would be value for money).

A second DVD made sense cost wise though and kept some balance we felt :).

AP
Thats make sense but why no recognition of the second short on the disc art ( I value disc art and its an annoyance on a CE for me)

Thats make sense but why no recognition of the second short on the disc art ( I value disc art and its an annoyance on a CE for me)

Personally, I'm bugged more by the total lack of Shinkai consistency in the UK, even just across AL's releases. Garden of Words is a standard edition, Voices and A Place Promised are in a CE with amarays, and Your Name will presumably be a typical AL movie CE with digipack.
Throw in Manga's DVD-only 5CM and Kaze's European-thin blu-ray keepcase for Children Who Chase Lost Voices and it's a sickening amount of inconsistency.

1) Not DVD sized, that's just a render. As guessed by Azar, it's clear cases there used in the render of the sample, they are definitely BD cases so breathe easy.

h6Iy87sl.jpg

2) It's a case of approvals - basically as that BD has to sit in one of the two Amarays (or I break it in half and you need sellotape to use it) we went with one label over the other there. As it is, vaguely sure it may have actually changed since to reflect that - don't hold me to that.

k7scQpj.gif

3) See (1) and it was done as the costs for the two as 2 x Digipacks would be too expensive vs price and there was no good aesthetic option for a shared digipack. Doing Collector's Editions of films is way harder than series unsurprisingly!

Hope this re-aligns things :)!

AP

oabJNtjl.png

*using Amanchu! pics to represent my opinions*

But seriously I completely understand and I'm happy.

*but seriously license Amanchu! it's very relaxing*

Personally, as good as Voices of a Distant Star is, I'd hesitate to even call the thing a double pack when only one is actually a feature film. But at the end of the day, as long as it's a good transfer and has decent extras then it can come in a plastic polypocket for all I care.

Funimation don't even have the best Mamoru Oshii film though, Discotek nabbed Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer.

And no one has Angel's Egg...

I thought the best Mamoru Oshii short would be his digimon one

Mamoru Oshii...Digimon?!

Back