UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Hi Andrew / Jeremy,

Is there any chance that Amazon/LoveFilm by Post will be getting replacement Durarara discs. I'm guessing probably not but thought I'd ask. It's still on my rental list to watch :D

Edit: you can ignore this question. I've ordered the Limited Edition. Couldn't resist at £23.49 :D

What's the deal with Kill La Kill volume 3? I got an email earlier from Amazon telling me that the release has slipped to June 1st. Is this correct or is it still coming out on May 25th

Hurrm. I woke up today to a notification from Amazon that the Wings Of Honneamise DVD / BD combi pack is shipping late. So near! And yet so far!

sniper_samurai said:
What's the deal with Kill La Kill volume 3? I got an email earlier from Amazon telling me that the release has slipped to June 1st. Is this correct or is it still coming out on May 25th

It's 1st June now. I've updated this page at our website with the details: http://blog.alltheanime.com/details-of- ... 3-release/ and I've quoted it below.

UPDATE (18th April 2015): Hi everyone. Since this page was published the date of release for Kill la Kill Box 3 has moved back one week to 1st June 2015. This is due the production of the Collector’s Box. It’s a complicated process due its unique design (as you can see image below.) We made this decision to move the release date back one week as at this stage we couldn’t guarantee production would be completed in time for the originally advertised release date. As a precaution we decided to move the date back one week.

This date amendment will be updated accordingly with retailers (though we know some of them have already done so.) We’ll be sure to keep you updated on this.

qaiz said:
I know it effected a very tiny number of people, if anyone other than myself. I guess my hopes disappeared when the Gurren Lagann replacement was ended and the focus has now moved onto Durarara, a more pressing issue.
I was just wondering if Patema was still happening is all

I have the same issue, my digipack was cracked and not aligned.
So i sent them a Mail and Jeremy respond this to me :

Okay, I have spoken to others here at Anime Limited and here is where things stand. There were only a certain amount of Patema Inverted Ultimate Editions created. The problem we have is that we have not been able to get any more units. (You'll notice in Andrew's last message to you he mentioned we were looking into if this was possible. Unfortunately it has not been possible.)

So unfortunately there isn't much we can do here and we're very sorry for that. However what I have done is added you to a list of names we're keeping of people who have been affected by problems with their Patema Inverted Ultimate Edition, and should there be any update in the future we'll be sure to message you accordingly.

I think there's no hope left.
Even if they say "maybe in the future"
And it's funny to see that there still Ultimate Patema on Amazon fr (Same Digipack/disc/etc.)
Anyway, no more AL Kickstarter for me.

Iluvatar said:
I have the same issue, my digipack was cracked and not aligned.
So i sent them a Mail and Jeremy respond this to me :

Okay, I have spoken to others here at Anime Limited and here is where things stand. There were only a certain amount of Patema Inverted Ultimate Editions created. The problem we have is that we have not been able to get any more units. (You'll notice in Andrew's last message to you he mentioned we were looking into if this was possible. Unfortunately it has not been possible.)

So unfortunately there isn't much we can do here and we're very sorry for that. However what I have done is added you to a list of names we're keeping of people who have been affected by problems with their Patema Inverted Ultimate Edition, and should there be any update in the future we'll be sure to message you accordingly.

And it's funny to see that there still Ultimate Patema on Amazon fr (Same Digipack/disc/etc.)

Thank you very much for your post, that's very upsetting to read, but was obvious from the start I guess. I was holding out hope, but yeah this is just another issue I've had and...well there's not much else to say really is there? I've gone on rants before about my disdain for AL and that hatred hasn't shifted. Outside of Perfect Blue and Garden of Words, every release I've got from Durarara and Bebop to Patema and Lagann have been marred by issues. At first I was okay with it, growing pains and all that, but man it got old fast. Oh well, I'm just one drop in the ocean in juxtaposition to the many Anime Limited lovers I guess, it's a shame because the notion of high quality UK anime releases is awesome, and yet...

I must give Jeremy and Andrew a migraine, but it's not like I get a laugh out of this...trust me I'd rather these releases end up as amazing as possible, especially since I can envision Anime Limited getting a hold of some great licenses that are near and dear to my heart. If they get a hold of Gunbuster, I might actually kill myself now.

Can't wait for Mai Mai Miracle to come shattered in a million pieces too I guess :)

Iluvatar said:

Few points here:

A) He wasn't saying here was no hope left but we don't have any replacement parts on hand right now and we have less than 20 issues with shipping, not with production - it's impossible to replicate just 20 new digipacks and as it's not a replicator fault here but Sony DADC's we are in a nasty position where I can assure you a minimum of 500 new digipacks would be a loss leader with no especial use.

B) Retrieving components from Amazon.FR is not easy either, it's not as simple as just taking stock out anyway there as I looked at it myself. Short of me BUYING copies from it myself or them returning them of their own free will, I can't touch their stock. What I am actually doing is seeing if we can get some smaller French retailers or those with Sale-Or-Return stock in France to free up the units I need.

C) Jeremy basically did say in the future we hope to - but he can't commit because I don't have a date or timeline but I am trying and the combined response of yourself and Qaiz really actually just demotivates me from spending a huge amount of time on it...

Best,

Andrew

qaiz said:
Thank you very much for your post, that's very upsetting to read, but was obvious from the start I guess. I was holding out hope, but yeah this is just another issue I've had and...well there's not much else to say really is there? I've gone on rants before about my disdain for AL and that hatred hasn't shifted. Outside of Perfect Blue and Garden of Words, every release I've got from Durarara and Bebop to Patema and Lagann have been marred by issues. At first I was okay with it, growing pains and all that, but man it got old fast. Oh well, I'm just one drop in the ocean in juxtaposition to the many Anime Limited lovers I guess, it's a shame because the notion of high quality UK anime releases is awesome, and yet...

I must give Jeremy and Andrew a migraine, but it's not like I get a laugh out of this...trust me I'd rather these releases end up as amazing as possible, especially since I can envision Anime Limited getting a hold of some great licenses that are near and dear to my heart. If they get a hold of Gunbuster, I might actually kill myself now.

Can't wait for Mai Mai Miracle to come shattered in a million pieces too I guess :)

You'll find indeed they are growing pains and we've gone toe-to-toe actually fixing them - which sucks in the first place to need to do but every time we have spent our hard earned money fixing any mistake made to the very best of our abilities ranging from small issues no other company would remedy to ones we feel morally obligated to fix that again many companies would not (and have not) fixed.

For the record as I have stated before, I have spent comfortably into five figure numbers as well as time, sweat and effort fixing Durarara!! most recently as has my team and believe it or not, it gets decidedly tiring for us too especially as there's a fair chunk of issues in there that weren't the direct fault of my team.

We can and do continue to strive towards better quality in the UK and as the first company to really do what we do here, yes there have been bumps and we've had to learn. I'm indeed very sorry for any strife this has caused people trying to support us including yourself and I am very sorry if you have disdain and hatred for us - I'm not entirely sure we've done anything heinous enough to deserve it though and I'm actually pretty sad to hear it.

I do wish you the best with your collecting anime in future and that you check out some of our works in the future as I'm certain you won't feel the same going forwards and that our efforts to fix previous issues do no go amiss :). They're not always as quick as we want them to be but we have a very strong track record of making good on our word there.

Best,

Andrew

I'm not doubting you but surely the mistakes made by an authoring house should be rectified by them at their cost. The idea that there could still be such a hefty sum left at the end boggles the mind as anime sales figures in the UK sadly never look that impressive in number.

Durial666 said:
Oh aren't you the life of the party.
Ouch.
anime_andrew said:
You'll find indeed they are growing pains and we've gone toe-to-toe actually fixing them - which sucks in the first place to need to do but every time we have spent our hard earned money fixing any mistake made to the very best of our abilities ranging from small issues no other company would remedy to ones we feel morally obligated to fix that again many companies would not (and have not) fixed.

For the record as I have stated before, I have spent comfortably into five figure numbers as well as time, sweat and effort fixing Durarara!! most recently as has my team and believe it or not, it gets decidedly tiring for us too especially as there's a fair chunk of issues in there that weren't the direct fault of my team.

I mean, yes no doubt Anime Limited so far has gone out of its way to fix issues in places where others won't and haven't, and that's great! It exudes a sense of sincerity as you've gone out of your way to sort things out when they have gone wrong and again like I said, growing pains are a part of the process. Bebop has been fixed, and Durarara is soon to be rectified no doubt, but it sucks to pay for an item you're excited for, only to be on the receiving end of issues. I think it's clear that you derive no pleasure from this. I actually feel bad for you as Anime is obviously something that you love and these releases are a labor of love from yourself and the team, so I can tell that its a heartbreak for yourself when you bend your back over only to hear people on forums such as myself nonchalantly berate you and your releases when its your livelihood, and your pride and joy. Anime is just that...anime and I'm sure I can live with a broken box or a broken digipak, and I actually would rather you didn't get me a new box now, as I'd feel bad. Maybe the fact that anime companies are a lot more hands on makes it more painful. Saying crap directly in front of the man who built the company himself makes me feel extra bad, and paints me as the bad guy, because it become personal. I guess it should be that way.

Your recent releases seem to be getting better and better, and I hardly hear of issues, but I'm not sure if that's because I have no vested interest in them and thus never really keep up with them as of late but people seem to be genuinely happy with them. In any case, I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's just a box...I guess. I guess it was just the fact that I was a huge fan of Anime Limited since day one, reading the Facebook and twitter page each and every day ritualistically, awaiting the release of Bebop, and watching the calender with excitement as Lagann came closer and closer, waiting for the Kickstarter pages to go live and being one of the first to pledge, making threads on forums to spread the word...I guess I got too invested in it all haha.

Keep doing what you're doing.

I've got all the AL BDs bar the Tiger & Bunny one. The last one I had any kind of issue with was TTGL (the digi, but I fixed that myself). Patema, Giovanni's Island, Blood Lad, HAL, Space Dandy and both Kill la Kill volumes - they've all been fine for me. I'd say that some lessons have been learned, and AL seem like they're hitting their stride nicely now.

I think the issue with the Patema digis is incredibly unfortunate, and I have a lot of sympathy for anyone affected. Guess that's a Kickstarter lesson - hold some extras back in case of any replacements being needed.

AL are still the only UK distributor doing what they're doing. They should be applauded for the position they've taken up within the UK market, and also for their engagement with the community and willingness to right wrongs.

And personally, I'd be delighted if they ever got Gunbuster! ;)

qaiz said:
I mean, yes no doubt Anime Limited so far has gone out of its way to fix issues in places where others won't and haven't, and that's great! It exudes a sense of sincerity as you've gone out of your way to sort things out when they have gone wrong and again like I said, growing pains are a part of the process. Bebop has been fixed, and Durarara is soon to be rectified no doubt, but it sucks to pay for an item you're excited for, only to be on the receiving end of issues. I think it's clear that you derive no pleasure from this. I actually feel bad for you as Anime is obviously something that you love and these releases are a labor of love from yourself and the team, so I can tell that its a heartbreak for yourself when you bend your back over only to hear people on forums such as myself nonchalantly berate you and your releases when its your livelihood, and your pride and joy. Anime is just that...anime and I'm sure I can live with a broken box or a broken digipak, and I actually would rather you didn't get me a new box now, as I'd feel bad. Maybe the fact that anime companies are a lot more hands on makes it more painful. Saying crap directly in front of the man who built the company himself makes me feel extra bad, and paints me as the bad guy, because it become personal. I guess it should be that way.

Your recent releases seem to be getting better and better, and I hardly hear of issues, but I'm not sure if that's because I have no vested interest in them and thus never really keep up with them as of late but people seem to be genuinely happy with them. In any case, I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's just a box...I guess. I guess it was just the fact that I was a huge fan of Anime Limited since day one, reading the Facebook and twitter page each and every day ritualistically, awaiting the release of Bebop, and watching the calender with excitement as Lagann came closer and closer, waiting for the Kickstarter pages to go live and being one of the first to pledge, making threads on forums to spread the word...I guess I got too invested in it all haha.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Don't worry - I absolutely get where you're coming from on things here. Nobody wants to receive a product that isn't what they wanted on receipt - even if it's fixed afterwards. What is worth pointing out is that is the difference - both in the anime industry and the larger faceless media world, many larger issues can and do get ignored by and large if there are issues. They certainly never get recompensed as generously as we do here at Anime Ltd anyway.

The trouble with creating what we are doing is it takes time to drill down on formats, packaging types and generally figuring out what makes sense. Sometimes as we explore and push things do go wrong - every time we learn from it though and actually since Gurren Lagann I'm pretty pleased to say there's been no serious faults that were a result of a choice from Anime Ltd (Kill la Kill being fixed before hitting retail for example).

I'm pretty pleased you have been invested so far and I'm hoping our releases over the next year keep you interested and keen. We're happy to interact even with the negative feedback and we try to take that on-board when we go forwards. The support has been and is still welcome whatever the format it comes in and the fact you do make a point to voice when you're frustrated is equally appreciated believe it or not. We've never been looking for blind adulation or support and the only way we grow is through feedback :).

So please do keep taking a look in and shouting out when invested or just passingly interested, it doesn't go amiss and is always constructive :).

AP

Lavigne said:
I've got all the AL BDs bar the Tiger & Bunny one. The last one I had any kind of issue with was TTGL (the digi, but I fixed that myself). Patema, Giovanni's Island, Blood Lad, HAL, Space Dandy and both Kill la Kill volumes - they've all been fine for me. I'd say that some lessons have been learned, and AL seem like they're hitting their stride nicely now.

I think the issue with the Patema digis is incredibly unfortunate, and I have a lot of sympathy for anyone affected. Guess that's a Kickstarter lesson - hold some extras back in case of any replacements being needed.

AL are still the only UK distributor doing what they're doing. They should be applauded for the position they've taken up within the UK market, and also for their engagement with the community and willingness to right wrongs.

And personally, I'd be delighted if they ever got Gunbuster! ;)

We're trying our best - the Patema situation is especially galling actually - we're actually trying to claw units back for this from wherever we can but it's proving pretty difficult. Jeremy has drawn up a list of people impacted though to date and as soon as we have enough units back to fix everyone's woes on a digi or box front we will.

For reference I should also add we have recovered some units already so we're on our way to getting there, but can't commit as I say until we know for a fact we have enough to be fair to everyone there.

Appreciate the sentiments too!

AP

I've had no issues with AL at all :)

I guess one "gripe" is postage cost. When I bought Garden of Words and HAL in the Xmas advent calendar thingy, I paid no postage yet when I went for the Perfect Blue one, I had the what was it, £4.99 (?) postage on there so I didn't go through with the purchase.

I'm pondering the Durarara!!! preorder if Amazon doesn't impress but if I do that will that have a hefty shipping cost too?

I've never been interested in any Kickstarters from anyone and all this makes me glad. If I ever did it would be for the bare minimum to help it's release, not to help myself (in terms of what I could get, or not get???) if that makes sense?

-Danielle- said:
I've had no issues with AL at all :)

I guess one "gripe" is postage cost. When I bought Garden of Words and HAL in the Xmas advent calendar thingy, I paid no postage yet when I went for the Perfect Blue one, I had the what was it, £4.99 (?) postage on there so I didn't go through with the purchase.

I'm pondering the Durarara!!! preorder if Amazon doesn't impress but if I do that will that have a hefty shipping cost too?

I've never been interested in any Kickstarters from anyone and all this makes me glad. If I ever did it would be for the bare minimum to help it's release, not to help myself (in terms of what I could get, or not get???) if that makes sense?

Hi Danielle,

We've since struck up a deal with Royal Mail etc so there's no hefty cost now (shipping is free if via Royal Mail).

Makes sense re Kickstarter too!

Best,

AP

Wahooo thats brilliant news. So very excited for getting Durarara!!! and Escaflowne when that comes out too.

Also, CONGRATS on finally getting the DVD version of Durarara sorted! I know that was painstaking but you've made people like meeeeee happy :)

(now get hold of season 2 for me too please ;)) hehe.

I've got to give props to All The Anime. If they screw up then they fix it. This makes me me a lot less concerned about placing pre-orders for their releases than the "others".

One minor thing (and it is really really minor) and probably wouldn't impact me if I if I wasn't OCD (please don't take this as a moan - more like constructive criticism). Is consistency on the spine art. It seems the 'A' on the spine of wings of honneamise is slightly misaligned with the 'A's on your other releases and the label below the 'A' also doesn't line up. I'm also guessing your intention is for movies to have a red 'A' and series to have the blue 'A' but perfect blue had a blue 'A'... (although I guess this one was artistic choice with blue working much better for the color scheme?)

Like I said, really minor, but I do think that overall a collection looks better when everything lines up nicely. You may even have been aware of these issues but had to proceed with how it was released to get the art approved?

I have to say, I cannot understand the attitude of slating a distributor over QC issues when they've demonstrated very capably that they're looking to address and prevent such issues. I can imagine the Patema Inverted situation is frustrating for all concerned. But is there really anything by way of glitches or such that AL HASN'T fixed?

And that's a rhetorical question, because I know full well their track record. And I'm very impressed by it.

I don't think any distributor is above criticism, and everyone knows my specific bugbears with the state of the UK industry as a whole. But Anime Limited have got my wholehearted support. Andrew and co. should rightly be earning a great deal of respect and confidence.

Back