Zeta Gundam

Oh definately, some familiarity has to be retained otherwise something completely new wouldn't be as appealing (familiarity works best). Its practically a prerequisite, that and hiring Kunio Okawara for your lead mecha designer.

I think you'll find Rau Le Cruset (or however the hell you spell his translated name) in SEED has a hidden agenda as well. It just isn't a very good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to revive this thread, methinks (How my writing and opinions have changed since I wrote this!).

For those who haven't yet seen it, I give you the <a href="http://www.z-gundam.net/special/index.html" target="_blank">Zeta II: Lovers</a> trailer. Once again, I really want to see this.

I was under the impression that they were just repackaging the whole series as 2 discs per DVD, and even dispite all the fuss, I somehow doubt they'd go to the trouble of getting an extra translator/script writer. Besides, they aren't total dubtitles, but they sure as hell aren't totally accurate subs either.

Still they should have teken the oppertunity to fix the problem, ah well wont stop me getting them. The only reason i didnt get the boxset was not wanting to be stuck with a dud disk 4 as Bandai wont ship the replacements to europe.

I think that if Bandai ought to have resolved anything, it should have been the missing ops/eds. Loosly accurate subtitles I can deal with better than hacked off catchy 80s J-pop themes. Bah, I sound like a purist :p .

Well yeah that would have been nice but that was never going to happen because of the huge cost involved, the sub thing was down to them messing up not the cost so they should have fixed it.

Rurouni H said:
Time to revive this thread, methinks (How my writing and opinions have changed since I wrote this!).
... do you still like Gundam X? I thought it was rancid, my least favorite Gundam series :/

Rurouni H said:
For those who haven't yet seen it, I give you the Zeta II: Lovers trailer. Once again, I really want to see this.
GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE

Yep, still love X :lol:. In fact, there hasn't been a single Gundam series I've disliked. Yes, I even enjoyed Wing (stop backing away!).

I've preordered A New Translation, even though it isn't out till October. Couldn't...Resist... damn shiny things....

Rurouni H said:
Thread necromancy in the name of Gundam. Always a valid reason. :D

Rurouni H said:
For those who haven't yet seen it, I give you the <a href="http://www.z-gundam.net/special/index.html" target="_blank">Zeta II: Lovers</a> trailer. Once again, I really want to see this.
Oooh, shiney. Hadn't seen that one before, thanks. Looks gorgeous, all that remastering makes the old scenes look like they were made yesterday, although I am curious as to what they've changed/added. Now we just gotta hope for a local release in a few years time.

kupoartist said:
Rurouni H said:
I've preordered A New Translation, even though it isn't out till October. Couldn't...Resist... damn shiny things....
Will it be subtitled, or do you know Japanese?

No, and uh, no!

I know enough to understand the simple things (I mean, you watch Gundam subbed/raw long enough and you could practically command a battleship in Japanese) - this is more of a fanboyish impulsive thing I've got going. That and I'm under the impression it'll actually help me learn (it probably won't, but hey, shiny things).

Sir Haggis said:
Oooh, shiney. Hadn't seen that one before, thanks. Looks gorgeous, all that remastering makes the old scenes look like they were made yesterday, although I am curious as to what they've changed/added. Now we just gotta hope for a local release in a few years time.

Not sure how much of this is true, but I have heard that Tomino was planning to cut ZZ out of the continuity - potentially meaning we could see Haman Karn dead by the end of movie 3. Might be a little far fetched, but you never know...

Edit: And with that in mind, I need sleep. Goodnight!

Rurouni H said:
Not sure how much of this is true, but I have heard that Tomino was planning to cut ZZ out of the continuity - potentially meaning we could see Haman Karn dead by the end of movie 3. Might be a little far fetched, but you never know...

Very far fetched, he's gone so fara s to deny it publicly, although he will be making some changes to the continuity. I dount he make wholesale changes espically ones that big but then again after reading the 0079 novels nothing he's does surprises me who knows Camile might die, the Argama might defect to the Titans, who then win the war just before Char takes over :p

Not happening. It's going to be part of J:COMM On Demand from 1st September, so I don't think it's going to be discounted just yet. More info here.

To be honest, I'd expect him to discount V first, as by all accounts Tomino now hates it. I also wonder if these Zeta movies are going to become the new "official" versions, as the first Gundam trilogy did.

Sir Haggis said:
Not happening.

Probably not but when the 0079 novels came out no one thought that Amuro would die, the Pegasus (White Base) would defect to Zeon just before they won the war and Char took over, not to mentiton Amuro getting Sayla into bed Needless to say Tomino could change things more than you'd expect.

I guess it is pretty unlikely on second thought. Its such a shame that Tomino wants to leave V behind, even though I can understand his reasons for doing so, because it would make such a great trilogy. Oh well.

Zeta Movie I

I'm feeling generally unwell today, so it was a nice surprise when this came through the door today... :lol:

And now, to watch it...

Edit: Alright, just finished watching it. Great movie! Easily worth the extortionate Japanese DVD prices and that stupid invoice HMCE slapped me with.

Yarrr, there be spoilers below...

As expected, it follows Tomino's usual disjointed story telling, but unlike the original First Gundam Trilogy I think people who haven't seen Zeta are going to be a bit lost on certain parts. For example, the first Moon arc is totally removed, Wong Lee never shows up, and Haro just springs out of nowhere. I mean literally, we see Kamille on the Argama, and a few minutes later he has a Haro bouncing around after him, with no explanation to where it came from. Weird. Similarily, the Bunch 30 incident explanation is shown, but the AEUG never actually go there. That was actually one of my favourite parts, because we see Reccoa explaining it to Emma as in the original, but it's done with new footage whilst the old TV series footage of Kamille exploring the colony (you never see his face as it's made to look like some random AEUG member, but anybody who has seen the series will notice) is shown on a monitor. It's a nice touch and a great way of mixing the old and newer animation, and something of a shame the transition between the two isn't always as smooth.

Speaking of which, the newer animation is awesome, and looks absolutely stunning. Trouble is, it's so good it really can disrupt the flow of things when it switches back to older animation (this happens quite frequently in the first half). I think the inclusion of old animation is a good idea, but the way it gets run together (example: Char, Kamille and Reccoa enter a room on the Argama [old footage], Char and co in the room talking [new footage], and then they exit into a hallway [flips back to old footage]) seems somewhat odd. However, the revamped combat sequences are amazing. The re-entry battle over Jaburo, and the fight against the Gaplant and Asshimar were for me the best parts of the movie.

All in all a standard Tomino fare, and damn good fun at that. I'm not sure if it's fixed the problems I had with the original series since this only covers episodes 1 through 14, so I'll wait until Lovers comes out before I make a more grounded opinion. Till then, rock on Sunrise!

Back