Zeta Gundam

Rurouni H

Student Council President
I know this was a Region 1 release, but I was wondering if anyone looked at this/picked it up at all. I got my set before Christmas, but its only now I've started to watch it (1/5 of the way through!). If the only Gundam you've seen is Wing, you'll find this incredibly dark by comparison (Episode 7 was particularly disturbing - not often you see entire colonies full of decomposed corpses). So I just wanted to know, despite all the "faults" (depending on which way you look at it), has anyone taken a look at it?

...I also wanted to know what was thought about the cool little pencil sharpeners...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive seen up to episode 20.

It is really great, best Gundam series ive seen so far.

Unfortunatly, my volume 4 is one of the glitched ones, can see half of episode 19.

I think its funny its called Zeta Gundam yet its not in it for half the series, lol

Ooo, nasty. Is it just a one-off glitch or was there a problem with most of the volume 4s? Because if it is, I didn't know about that.

I agree that it is extremely good, but I'm not sure if its the best Gundam I've seen ever. Gundam X is holding that spot at the minute, but hey, I've got 40 more episodes to go yet. And yes, I do think its weird that the Zeta doesn't show till almost halfway through the series... but then again, the God Gundam doesn't show till halfway through G Gundam either.

My fav gundam serie has to be gundam seed as its about mecha yes bout it also about war and how bad it really is.

I dont like the gundam wing serie it confused me to much they charge sides on it way to much and i watch the dubs or it and didnt like the dubbing on it.

Rurouni H said:
Ooo, nasty. Is it just a one-off glitch or was there a problem with most of the volume 4s? Because if it is, I didn't know about that.
The glitch seems to random, some people have it, some dont. Some people cant play any of ep 19, some half (like me)

It doesnt seem to be DVD player related though, ive tried it in the 2 multi region players we have here.

Ok, just finished watching vol 4 and there don't appear to be any problems with my copy, as I was able to see all of episode 19 (It was good to see Kamille and Four getting romantic! ). Although, knowing my luck there will be a glitch on one of the others or something.

I think Four is my favourite character so far, but I'm finding it hard to like any of the adult characters in this (with the exception of Char and Amuro, who rock regardless). Is it me, or are most of the adults in the series bitchslapping Kamille whenever they get stressed? Its like hes the whipping boy of the AEUG or something

Ah well, Disc 5 tomorrow!

Just finished disc 5 myself. Oh yes, t3h Z3t4 r0x0r5. As does Char's new pose. Good to see Scirocco and Four in the opening too. Fa Yuiry's reappearence as a pilot was a bit abrupt though, not to mention she isn't that great at piloting either. Also, I'm finding Jerid less annoying and more likeable as the series goes on, compared to when he was just a whiney bitch at the beginning.

Still, I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with the subtitles. At times, they are some of the most inaccurate I've seen.

On a slightly related note, the opening for SEED Destiny has changed, and it's just as catchy as the last one.

Rurouni H said:
Fa Yuiry's reappearence as a pilot was a bit abrupt though, not to mention she isn't that great at piloting either
Yeah, ive heard alot of stuff happens in Gundam series cus of "fan pressure"

Still, I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with the subtitles. At times, they are some of the most inaccurate I've seen.
Ive beend watching it dubbed myself and it isnt bad. Getting better each episode. I have bought the subs up though, and they do seem to be off a bit.

Disc 7 down, 3 more to go. I'm really getting into this series now, probably due to the fact that Scirocco has taken a more predominant role - things seem to be a bit more politically intriguing, especially since he's using the Titans and Axis just to gain more power. Char really managed to screw things up with his actions against Haman and Axis, Reccoa and the death of Blex, although it was good to see him back in the spotlight after appearing about twice in the previous 10 episodes. I've noticed that this series tends to focus predominantly on Kamille and the Argama, and as a result characters who were playing major roles become sidelined for a bit, at least until there's a bigger plot arc.

Jerid showed up again, and he gets good character development as well. That said, I could see Mouer's death coming a mile away. Unfortunately, as karma for Jerid becoming a likeable character, Wong Lee becomes more annoying each episode. He needs a slap from someone soon. He is even more irritating than Shinta and Qum.

Ive beend watching it dubbed myself and it isnt bad. Getting better each episode.

I've got to admit the dub is very good, but I'm still watching it subbed as a preference for the moment.

Haman Karn is hot :D.

Disc 8 is when the sh*t really hits the fan :shock: Char really is the man though, and youll see just why in the next disc. (plus youll see just why i think the Titans are utter bastards, WORSE than the Zeons)

only 10 episodes to go!! :cry:

Ok, you must have compelled me or something, as I've just burned through Discs 8 and 9 in the past 3 evenings. This show has finally got to the point for me where I can feel addicted to it.

The Titans really are scum, but I felt that the colony "laser" (yes yes, Doctor Evil voices all round) and the gassing of the Bunch 21 colony weren't touched upon enough to make them as dramatic as they could've been, which is a shame really. And what was with The gate of Zedan and Axis crashing into each other in episode 45? That was just ridiculous. Its like Haman ran out of ideas or something. Other than that though things are moving foward more fluidly, although there are still a few abrupt reappearences by characters not seen in over 20 episodes (Rosamia and Bask, for example).

Seeing the Palace Athene in action was cool. I really like the design of that suit.

Ok, rant over :lol:
5 episodes to go! And then ZZ, of course...

Just finished the series. Damn, that ending was AMAZING. It has to be one of the best finales I've ever seen. The Death of Scirocco has to go down as one of the best deaths yet, followed closely by Jerid. The fighting in the last episode between Kamille, Haman, Char and Scirocco was one of the best Gundam fights I've seen, even if Char got totally owned by the Qubeley. The way in which everything finished made the cash I spent worth it and more.

In general, the series was very good, although I only really started to watch it addictively in the last 15 episodes, something I think has to do a lot with the abruptness of some plot elements and storyline. Don't get me wrong, its a great show, but I think the way the majority of old-school Gundam fans have gone on and on about it being "The Best Gundam EVER" has somewhat heightened my expectations. I'm really not partial to any particular universe setting in Gundam, I watch because I enjoy the series and mecha designs themselves. Zeta offered this in batches, but theres something missing from the series I can't quite place my finger on. Maybe the feeling of epic-ness that didn't really kick in until the last 7 or so episodes, I'm not sure. Well anyway, I have ZZ to watch now... and then I should start watching those other non-Gundam related DVDs I've got sitting on my shelf...

...nah. They can wait :lol:

The ending doesnt really explain where char went to between this and CCA though

The ending was, well odd in my mind :p especially Kamile apparent regression to a kid

Still a great series over all. and i hope the rumors that ZZ will be released next are true, since i wanna find out what happens next :(

IanC said:
The ending doesnt really explain where char went to between this and CCA though

Yeah, that was one thing that really annoyed me: Char managing to escape death again but it not being explained, sort of like; um, well, he just... got away! I mean when every other MS explodes after being crushed and trapped inside an exploding ship, the Hyaku Shiki miraculously manages to survive, cockpit intact and all! We're almost reaching Gundam Wing levels of character invincibility there (Although I guess this is disproven by Char's Couterattack)

The ending was, well odd in my mind :p especially Kamile apparent regression to a kid

I think it was to display the way in which Newtype abilites are used for both good and evil, and their power, much like in Char's Counterattack. I.e. Kamille used his powers to save many people and fight to end the war, but on the flipside, Scirocco was able to do the opposite on the brink of death and cripple Kamille's mind, using the same kind of power. Only an educated guess though.

While we're still on the subject of Zeta, have you seen the trailer for the first remastered movie? The animation looks stunning. <a href="http://www.aeug.blogspot.com" target="_blank">Gunota Headlines</a> had it up a while ago, but I don't know if its still there.

God I wish I lived in Japan :(

Also, did you notice some similarities between the way Sarah and Lahlah (SP?) died? Almost as if it became a retelling of the orginal :p

No wait thats SEED :p

Yeah, there were quite a lot of similarities, i.e. Kamille being referred to as "the Second Coming of Amuro" and the tragic manner in which both Four and Sarah died. At some moments it really felt like the originals... until you saw Jerid, Kamille's supposed rival (Definately nowhere near the level of Amuro and Char as enemies). Its strange people pick on SEED as a retelling of the original (which, lets face it, it is for the first 25 or so episodes), yet miss out the quite obvious similarities in Zeta. But then again, Zeta tells it better and with more variation.

The fact is, every Gundam series has similarities. Both wing and SEED have charecters who are so similar to Char its spooky. Though only the guy in Wing has a similar hidden agenda.

It was strange seeing Char and Amuro on the same side :p

Back