Your viewing journal

Jayme said:
I've actually been watching Toradora (on ep 10) and I loooove it. I haven't found an anime this genuinely charming, since, well, Lovely Complex. I find everyone intriguing and when it appears to be going one way, it subverts the story and that just makes me happy. I might have to rethink my indifference towards JC Staff.
Yay Toradora.

Regarding J.C. Staff, you sound like me a while back. I hated Shana, couldn't get into Index, and their output in general didn't seem very appealing. Then I watched Honey & Clover and Toradora and I realized it was a bit silly to write them off on the basis of a couple of shows and my own preconceptions.

Orgun said:
ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
ilmaestro said:
In fairness to Orgun, when I asked him for some thoughts about EVA 2.22, he was happy to oblige. I'm sure a lot of people would be the same if you spot something that they are watching that is of particular interest to you.

I wasn't attacking him =S
I wasn't saying you were. Just pointing out that, if you want the discussion, it is there. I'm very much on your side of the "what this thread is best used for" question.

Thanks for backing me up ilmaestro.

Sparrowsabre7, sorry I overreacted but I do get fed up with people suddenly getting difficult on forums. If you had looked at some of my previous posts you would've have seen that I do comment occaisionally on what I have watched on a particular episode etc., it's just that I don't feel the need to do so everytime (and it would appear that many people feel the same way), as ilmaestro said the discussion is there if you want it.

That's ok, I'm to blame too, so long as we can put it behind us =)

I'll check Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru tonight then!

Stuart-says-yes said:
Plus the OP and ED is rather unique

To be honest, the most recent anime from SHAFT, they have been awesome and unique. Thanks Stuart and ilmaestro.

Yosuga no Sora episode 2 - Its nothing to seperate your typical Harem anime, its just a bit weird on how the episode progresses. Its not surprising that its Meh at the moment.

Ironanimeman episode 2 - Again its another anime that has made an improvement from the first, more Ironman and action, however the episode felt more of a one-off episode rather than story progression, might just be me.

Reevothemusefan said:
Ironanimeman episode 2 - Again its another anime that has made an improvement from the first, more Ironman and action, however the episode felt more of a one-off episode rather than story progression, might just be me.

I agree. The story was kind of standalone, but Iassume the characters and plot threads introduced will serve a greater purpose.

Requiem for the Phantom: 1-6 (re-watched)

One of the few anime in existence I want to finish; possibly because of its 'seinen' tag on MAL. I on-holded it back in the day 'cause watching Bee Train titles weekly ain't the best plan of action. It isn't as slow-paced as .hack//SIGN or full of staring contests like .hack//roots but it takes awhile to get anywhere.

It's been great when marathoned, thus far. There isn't really another 'Leon' in anime - a story of one assassin training another and feelings slowly developing between the two as lots of people get murdered - and that makes Phantom standout. The characterization is solid; the lead's transformation not seeming fake and Ein's coldness, after killing so many, being perfectly believable.

I haven't played the VN and I on-holded the TV series around where the OVA ended, so I have a lot to look forward to. I just hope, eventually, I start to dislike it 'cause using the lag glitch on MAL to change my top ten is a serious bitch...

PS: The only decent batch torrent is slug-slow. Ugh...

Dragonball Z Kai Episodes 24 - 26

26 episodes in and Frieza has already called for the Ginyu force - took around 56 epidodes in the original version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the first episode of Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru and I don't quite know what to think of it really.

The art is well executed and it's fairly amusing, but it wasn't as funny as I'd hoped it might be. It seems to hover between gently mocking moe slice-of-life shows and just straight up being one. Shaft have really dialled back the crazy as well, even more so than they did with Natsu no Arashi.

One accusation I've heard levelled at it was that, "the OP is writing cheques the show can't cash", and, while I'll stick with it for now, I have a nasty feeling that may prove accurate.

My computer is old and has issues. Whichever browser I use, most video sites max out my CPU, causing my system to eventually crash. I've tried messing with Flash installations and whatnot with no luck; also disabling adds and the like. There's also a bothersome 'v-sync' type issue that appears when I full-screen videos.

Throw in the fact streams don't look quite as nice as downloaded 720P files and me not knowing about Funi's streams and you have your answer. But, if the 1-10 kbs @ 74% speed continues, I may have no choice...

...or not:

"This content is not available in your territory.

FUNimation® Entertainment manages a full spectrum of rights for anime series acquired from producers in Japan. These rights include broadcasting, licensing, production, home video sales and distribution, as well as internet. The rights agreed upon may vary per series or per region. If you are receiving this message, FUNimation does not have the internet rights for this series in your area.

If you believe you are currently in a territory to which FUNimation has rights, please e-mail us your current location at Webmaster[@]Funimation.com so we can investigate the discrepancy.

Thank you for your interest!

Return to FUNimation.com "

I finished off Shigofumi. Over all I enjoyed the show and it had a relatively unique story. The characters were pretty well done and I would have liked to see more of their stories. I was disappointed when it ended as I think there was still more they could do without starting to make it feel stale.

Stuart-says-yes said:
I honesty didn't think the OP promised what couldn't be delivered, I mean squid girl and panty and stocking have taken a few episodes to settle down into something good, though all I saw in the OP was the lead working at the cafe with her friends which we have seen so far.

Eh, I thought the OP was like some kind of jaunty '30s musical.

I'm not saying I completely agree with what that bloke said about the show not living up to the opening, especially after just one episode, but I do worry there may be a grain of truth in it.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Orgun said:
ilmaestro said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
ilmaestro said:
In fairness to Orgun, when I asked him for some thoughts about EVA 2.22, he was happy to oblige. I'm sure a lot of people would be the same if you spot something that they are watching that is of particular interest to you.

I wasn't attacking him =S
I wasn't saying you were. Just pointing out that, if you want the discussion, it is there. I'm very much on your side of the "what this thread is best used for" question.

Thanks for backing me up ilmaestro.

Sparrowsabre7, sorry I overreacted but I do get fed up with people suddenly getting difficult on forums. If you had looked at some of my previous posts you would've have seen that I do comment occaisionally on what I have watched on a particular episode etc., it's just that I don't feel the need to do so everytime (and it would appear that many people feel the same way), as ilmaestro said the discussion is there if you want it.

That's ok, I'm to blame too, so long as we can put it behind us =)

Already forgotten :)

Yesterday -

Linebarrels of Iron - Episodes 11 & 12

So halfway through the series and I'm really enjoying so it far. It really isn't anything terribly original at all but it is a fun show and really makes me laugh out loud although it does struggle with trying to be really serious one moment and goofy silly the next never really finding a happy medium.

I'm not very taken with the mecha designs or the way they have been animated as they don't sit very well together with rest of the animation which I think is really nice looking.

Orgun said:

So halfway through the series and I'm really enjoying so it far. It really isn't anything terribly original at all but it is a fun show and really makes me laugh out loud although it does struggle with trying to be really serious one moment and goofy silly the next never really finding a happy medium.

I'm not very taken with the mecha designs or the way they have been animated as they don't sit very well together with rest of the animation which I think is really nice looking.

Mmm I really don't think cgi should be used in conjunction with traditional animation unless there's a good reason for the divide (like Karas) or it blends seemlessly (like Futurama) otherwsie it just detracts so much from the experience =/

Last night I rewatched Wings of Honneamise.

Hiroyuki Yamaga, what happened to you, man? From this masterpiece to Mahoromatic and gawd knows what else since.

WoH could only have been made in the boom years of the 1980s. In no other time would a bunch of wide-eyed 20-somethings been given the cash to produce anything, never mind a high-budget feature film with little commercial appeal. Yamaga and Gainax made WoH simply because they wanted to make it and the purity of their vision shines through.

It's an astonishing piece of world-building, in which everything from the design of buildings to cutlery is familiar yet alien, and it's also an inspiring coming of age story. The sad thing is that there will never be another film quite like it. Ten out of effing ten.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Orgun said:

Mmm I really don't think cgi should be used in conjunction with traditional animation unless there's a good reason for the divide (like Karas) or it blends seemlessly (like Futurama) otherwsie it just detracts so much from the experience =/

I agree, GitS: SAC and Gundam 00 got it spot on and they looked great but there is just too much of a contrast in Linebarrels and it spoils the look the overall look of the show, because the hand painted animation has a really nice aesthetic to it.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Last night I rewatched Wings of Honneamise.

It's an astonishing piece of world-building, in which everything from the design of buildings to cutlery is familiar yet alien, and it's also an inspiring coming of age story. The sad thing is that there will never be another film quite like it. Ten out of effing ten.

I wholeheartedly agree on that, Royal Space Force is one of my favourite anime films ever! The overall vision of the creators is breathtaking and like you say is anastonishing piece of world building.

I watch it a couple of times every year and I never get bored with it, RSF is a film that always reminds of why I like anime so much.

Out of interest did you watch on Blu-ray or DVD? The Blu-ray looks absolutely incredible.

Good to see people on here still appreciate the classics. It's one the the first anime films I saw (I watched RSF and Akira around the same time). The RSF looks great on bluray.

The only other innocent person is Taisuke, poor him, if it for makoto, he'd of had his chance withkotonoha a million times over, plus he's stuck in the middle of all makoto's problems

Yeah, he's a great guy, that Taisuke. I could truly empathize with him and feel his pain.

This video highlights why I view him as a 2D brother, of sorts: http://www.megavideo.com/?d=EJVP3LP8

fabricatedlunatic said:

Tha' so? All I cared about was the boobs jumping when the (heroic) lead showed his disdain for uptight, religious bitches out to help him by trying to have his way with her. Ten out of ten, indeed - I'll never get those 60 minutes back.

You should go ahead and re-watch Patlabor 2, too. There's some nice bird imagery in that you'd no doubt appreciate more by going through it again.

Back