Your viewing journal

chaos said:
Dracos said:
I started on Special A. So far it is His and Hers Circumstances without the blackmail but with pro-wrestling.
(o.0) Pro-wrestling? Sounds amazing!

The lead female was taught pro-wrestleing by her dad, and there was no one she could not beat until the lead male came along and did. Now everything turns into a competition where she tries to beat him at whatever they are doing. Unfortunately whatever she does he always manages to beat her even when there should be no way, like when he gets extra points beyond her perfect score on a test because he pointed out an error in the questions.

chaos said:
Fabio - being the fantasy sucker I am, I loved watching Tower of Druaga. The second series has a much darker tone than the first one...
In that case I'll probably give it a miss. The comedy works for me, but the characters are too shallow for serious business (though there was at least some attempt to develop them in episode 9). That almost the entire show takes place in what appears to be a gigantic cave removes any remaining vestiges of excitement I may have derived from it.

(This review sums up exactly how I feel about ToD. I wish I'd read it before buying the DVDs.)

Have you seen Lodoss War OVA yet? It's a thousand times the show Druaga is.

fabricatedlunatic said:
(This review sums up exactly how I feel about ToD. I wish I'd read it before buying the DVDs.)

Have you seen Lodoss War OVA yet? It's a thousand times the show Druaga is.
Mmm, interested in selling them to me, then? If so, name your price.

Anyway, I've seen everything Loddoss related now. Althougth all my attempts to get it were frustrated. It is definitely the best 'D&D' style anime out there.

The Grey witch manga is one of the few books I've brought with me when I moved to England.

Ladies vs Butlers Episode 1

This was the pre-release and made me a bit confused with the censoring. One bit might be censored (eg panty shots) but you see something similar uncensored.

The white/black streaks across parts of the episode made it look really ugly.

Overall it was a good episode, however it is your generic harem/ecchi anime with maybe a few anime refrences thrown in.

I just hope the actual release will be without the censoring...

These 'list posts' are most insightful. I'd ban every ****** who thinks AUKN is MAL if I had the ability to do so.

9-20 of Gantz - all I own on DVD until Play start working again and send the last two. (Slow ****s...)

I can see where Fabio was coming from with his shounen jibe, and I agree - the second mission was almost ruined because of the pacing. Where as it may have worked to have lots of talking with still images in the manga, in animated form it was as if I was watching it play out in slow-motion. The movements were slooooooooow and, conveniently, the robo-alien kept missing whilst everyone had a good old natter about whether or not to help Nishi. Even a death scene was ruined by the pacing, the scene in question clearly having been extended to fit the episode with lots of still shots of the characters' faces. (I think most of the blame for the second mission failing lies with Gonzo trying to get the manga content they wanted to fit 13 episodes.)

I was going to 7/10 it until the final episode, which flowed much better and had some decent humour (Kei trying to figure out what to do when surrounded by angry looking robots). In the end, it stayed at 8/10 because what came before that arc had been so enjoyable. It's 100% more of a guilty pleasure than it is a masterpiece. I can't recall enjoying an anime THIS much - it's been a long time.

The 'second series' started off well - with characterization - and the third mission has been exciting. Again, it hasn't exactly been fast-paced, and there have been some moments where you can see sections of the manga were inserted without the editing required not to make it look dumb with motion (tits' death), but the action has been so intense during all the drama that I've been unable to not enjoy it. I'm actually feeling depressed that I can't finish it; anime onry story or not.

The one thing I will add is that the mangaka/whoever put his interview on the fourth DVD is a dick. In the interview, the mangaka goes, "Yeah, he's my favourite character... but I still killed him." Way to spoil a future manga AND anime death!

I've seen enough of Gantz to know that the manga has a good chance of being a favourite of mine. Without the slow-motion animation, designed to let the characters speak during enemy attacks, I think it'll be a lot better. Things like Battle Royale, Bokurano, Eden and Gantz are appealing simply because, unlike 99% of the titles out there, the authors all ballsy enough to kill off everyone other than the lead characters. The likes of Bleach and Naruto, where all the good guys survive (unless they're old!), just don't cut it anymore.

The only manga downer is that, with so few volumes released in English, I think the anime has burned through most of the buyable content. ;____;

..oh, and I've also watched Tokko 6-9. It's ******* ****. Because the manga ended unfinished, 80-85% of the content is filler - bad filler at that; bad filler combined with very poor visuals and a truly terrible soundtrack. Where as time sped up when I watched Gantz, the opposite occurred with Tokko. It's got a rare 3/10 from me, four episodes before the end - it's THAT good.

I might "sample" a couple of volumes of the manga to see if I like it better than the anime. The cheap animation and terrible direction were two of my biggest issues, and obviously they won't be a problem with manga. I do like the concept and general viciousness of the plot.

But it seems that the material covered in the second anime series takes place in volume 8 or 9 of the manga, so unless a lot was cut out, I expect the pacing to be similarly slow. And I'm not sure how much lasting appeal a series like Gantz can have.

Going on what the ditzy actress said in her 'interview' with the mangaka, a fair amount was cut. She made a point of saying she assumed anime fans would be left confused by developments not getting included.

I think 8-9 220-30 page volumes is pushing it for what's been shown so far. 6-7 would be more fair if there hadn't been cuts.

It sucks TBD have no 10% off code, and that a few volumes are £6-7. I might go ahead and order what's available anyway, depending on how I feel after the first few volumes, though I may wait for my big CC bill first. >_<

You should look into A) trying to get BR for £30 on eBay or buying the ultimate, hardback editions. It'll be easier; BR being complete and all.

Halo Legends: Origins part 1

This was quite a good episode i will say. Studio 4C decide to go with a fairly daring episode i guess, because up until now, the forerunners have never been covered, so to try and actually create the story of the history was always going to be of interest, and they did it well. I look forward to part 2 in a couple weeks.

Desert Punk episodes 1-2

what can i say? possibly the funniest thing i've had the pleasure of watching since Seto no Hanayome (Full Metal Panic jumps from funny to serious loads)

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - Star Crossed Anime Blog has mentioned this in the top ten of the year and I decided to give it a shot, considering it impressed me by synopsis alone.

Great first episode, plus I'm a sucker when it comes to siblings being portrayed, because they tend to have the best development and compliment each other.

Since I've last posted I've seen:

Bubblegum Crisis OVA's
Princess Nine
Dirty Pair Flash
Detonator Orgun
Kiddy Grade

Watching Darker than Black now.

Back