Your viewing journal

Solid State Society

Fantastic installment to the Stand Alone Complex story and I predict this will have a very high rewatch value. It was an excellent follow up from the end of the 2nd Gig and fleshed out the characters a little more and as always in SAC did it with subtlety and class. I enjoyed seeing more of Togusa's family involved in the plot and background characters were being used more (Saito and Azuma). As well as the strong writing there was also a decent amount of action spread throughout the movie to keep the sci-fi action buffs happy.

I was however let down by the English dubbed version. It seemed to lack a lot compared to the series, the deliveries for the most part seemed lazy and completely forced. The dub for the series wasn't perfect but I was expecting something more than what I heard. Definitely one to watch in the original Japanese. The dubbed voice for Togusa's daughter was awful, really. Would it have been so hard to get an actual little girl to do her lines and not some woman doing an 'oh so cutesy' voice?

It seems like this may be a lead into a 3rd Gig and if the writing remains as constant as it has been throught these two seasons and movie then I have no problems with it going on. There is a lot of life left in the characters and I look forward to seeing more.

Turn A Gundam - up to 43. Finally got my Machiavellian plots, :D . the switching places have also helped. Really liking the series, and hoping tjhey don't blow in the last few episodes.
Naruto Shippuuden 19.... sorry did anything actually happen in that episode? I mean there was shouting and some running fights, but did we learn anything new? Or was there some monument event or revelation that slipped past me?
Hayate no Gotoku!- 1-6 - Read the manga and while the adaptation is quite faithful didn't really think much of the manga either.
Seto no Hanayome-1-13 ... Damn, was hoping for a nice sweet rom com, and end up getting a very silly slap stick harem. Had high hopes for it until about episode 5/6 when it decended into mindless farce. Which is why l like...
Nagasarete Airantou 14- while there is as much slap stick in this show you can see genuine mutual affection between the two leads. And it's a slow growing affection, rather than the wham bam love at first sight you tend to get a lot of.
El Cazador de la Bruja 13-14- while a lot was confirmed still more questions to be answered. Nice to see the plot moving finally.

hopeful_monster said:
Turn A Gundam - up to 43. Finally got my macheavellian plots, :D . the switching places have also helped. Really liking the series, and hoping tjhey don't blow in the last few episodes.

Turn A has one of the better endings in Gundam. Just finished Gundam Wing, my 2nd least fave so far just ahead of Gundam F91 (the F91 itself was nice but the movie sucked).

Well, having not watched any anime for about 2 weeks, I decided to break back into a habit and start off with Paprika, and it was ******* awesome.

Nobody else can make something that good, yet still make it **** with your head. :p

Not sure if it was just me, but a few certain scenes reminded me of Paranoia Agent; anyone else? :?

Awesome piece of animation though.

Necromancer said:
Turn A has one of the better endings in Gundam.
Turn A Gundam completed. Best of the 3 Gundam Endings i've seen but very surprised that Loran ended up with Diana, as there was little romantic interaction between them. Mutual repsect and admiration, yes, but i thought he was going to end up with Sochie (?Sophie?). Serves her right of being a Tsundere.

Last edited by a moderator:
More Kino's Journey - DVD/Vol.3 - more intriguing little tales to ponder over.
The title tune of this just gets catcher the more times you here it.

More Death Note - up to ep.20 - more twists and turns.
Listening to the title tune of this (the softer one, not the Slipknot-style version) can't help but think of the theme to NANA :shock: - or is this just me?

Denno Coil 1 - Absolutely Kickass; definitly going to keep watching.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai 1- Never even heard of this until this morning, so I thought I'd give it a try; never again. The first episode had me looking at random crap on my desk after about 6 minutes. Dropped.

Code Geass 1 - No idea why I put off watching this for a while, but it's clear from the first episode that the rest is great. It might just be me, but it felt like they crammed a lot of stuff into the first episode, not that that's a bad thing though. o.o;

Denno Coil 1 - Absolutely Kickass; definitly going to keep watching.

Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai 1- Never even heard of this until this morning, so I thought I'd give it a try; never again. The first episode had me looking at random crap on my desk after about 6 minutes. Dropped.

Code Geass 1 - No idea why I put off watching this for a while, but it's clear from the first episode that the rest is great. It might just be me, but it felt like they crammed a lot of stuff into the first episode, not that that's a bad thing though. o.o;

Hyaku said:

That could be because it's the sequel to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry).

Hyaku said:

Yeah its a great series, and i'm glad they are finally going to air the last two episodes of the first season on the 28th this month..finally can see whats next.

Today i have planned, GitS:SAC 2nd Gig vol 2 + 3 and Claymore 15

DaNiMe said:
Hyaku said:

That could be because it's the sequel to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When They Cry).

Are you pointing out my ignorance there, or reaffirming the strong belief that 99.99% of sequels are miniscule when compared to the original?

Watched End of Evangelion again because I hadn't watched it for a while and I was bored.

So... Eva-01 has sex with Rei, the human race gets turned into slush and then sieved through a giant egg.

( Not at all as bizzare as the ending of that other series then. Eh? :wink: )

I also rewatched it afterwards with the commentary track on, ( as I said, I was bored, ) and I never realised untill they mentioned it, that during the bit where Misato gets blown up, if you slow-mo it you see the body fly in one direction and the legs fly off in another, how sick is that. :twisted:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back