Your viewing journal

Lupin III - Greatest Capers (1980)

Comprising episodes 145 and 155 of the red jacket tv-series, this double-bill is effectively Miyazaki's 'last hurrah' for Lupin, before he went on to do other things (I forget what they were). As you might expect, they're very good, but I was actually taken aback by just how much of a jump there is, not only the between other red jacket episodes I've seen, but also Miyazaki's work on the original green jacket series, nearly a decade earlier. The animation is absolutely superb - a massive step up from the normal tv level of the time - but the episodes are also shot through with a concentrated dose of Miyazaki's storytelling and directorial skill. They really are like two little movies condensed into half-hour segments.

Of the two, I'd say 145 is my own favourite, clearly revisiting the chic '60s Euro-caper vibe of Cagliostro and throwing in some great aerial action scenes for good measure. The more sci-fi oriented 155 is still a huge achievement (and a cheeky early appearance for the robot from Laputa), but you can really feel Miyazaki straining at the boundaries of what was possible within the franchise. If anything, much of the episode actually made me think more of Akira than anything else, and feels like a slightly curious note to end the series on.

I've been aware of these episodes for quite a while, but I'd always fought shy of watching them, as I thought the available subs were a bit iffy. Hence, finally getting hold of this old streamline dub was like Christmas come early. I know it's probably not the most accurate, but I think their scripts for Lupin were always witty, true to the original tone and excellently cast.

Now, someone help me look for a time-machine so that we can go back and make Miyazaki direct the other 153 episodes...

Professor Irony said:

before he went on to do other things (I forget what they were)
I believe he was involved in the second Air Bud movie, "Golden Receiver", but I could be mistaken.

Suisei no Gargantia 4 - I think this series is personally my favourite of the season so far, it has the right balance of everything i want from it, character development, world development, and Ledo/Chamber are a good combo. I have episode 5 to watch, but i'm looking forward to it.

Attack on Titan 4 - This was a little slower paced, but the end of the episode sets ep 5 up well. I'll probably get it in tonight when i get a chance, but it's certainly strong, probably third on my season list. So what's second?

Valvrave the Liberator 4 - Yup. Why? Simple. This series is crazy, hella crazy. Twists at every corner. It feels like the series sunrise have wanted to make it for a while. All their ideas thrown into this one series, each more crazy than the last. And you know, it makes it all the more enjoyable. I seriously have no idea what to expect from each episode every week, so it's the most anticipated show for me next to gargantia.

Majestic Prince 5 - While this is generic, it's not bad at all. The characters are enjoyable and it's not a bad story either. The main gripe i have with the series, is the character designs. I've never liked it since i saw them in Gundam Seed, and i still don't know. Urgh.

Watched the final disc of Pani Poni Dash. The ending was a bit meh, but the series overall was very funny.
Watched Ninja Nonsense. Line dancing Claymation Ninjas is all you need to know. Great fun.

Professor Irony said:
ilmaestro said:
Professor Irony said:

before he went on to do other things (I forget what they were)
I believe he was involved in the second Air Bud movie, "Golden Receiver", but I could be mistaken.

Was that it? I was guessing 'Ernest Goes to Camp'.
Goddamit, I had that lingering feeling that I was wrong. ;_;

i dont like where soul eater is going with its story i dont like it one bit, why? because its not following the manga, iv read the manga and its brilliant.

soul eater 42-45

tomorrow

Gun Sword - Episodes 25 & 26 [Final]

Gun Sword had been going well but it finished with a rather weak ending, and overall I think it is a distinctly average series and quite a disappointment.

Lupin III: The Return of Pycal (2002)

Oh boy. I've yet to see a Lupin film I couldn't watch, but the entertainment was more from laughing at this one than laughing with it. The animation is painfully cheap, so they've gone way overboard trying to stylise it by means of compensation. The results are amusingly bizarre. If you were to try and describe Dezaki's directorial techniques to a massively hung-over studio intern, this is probably what you'd get back.

Sadly the writing is not much better. The film runs for just short of an hour, during which nefarious magician Pycal attempts to get revenge on Fujiko and Lupin for stitching him up back in series one, but beyond that, I'd struggle to tell you what actually happens. Lupin looks for some crystals which do a thing, Goemon appears to be involved in a tournament that requires him to fight low-level villains from Fist of the North Star and Jigen attempts to stop his sneezing with music. None of this ever really combines into a coherent story, then it ends. Then it adds on several epilogues in an even more bizarre attempt to make it deep and meaningful, despite the earlier inclusion of a scene in which two young boys team up to take a photo of a lady's bare backside.

Pycal was quite a memorable villain in the original series, so I think this had potential to be a fun throwback for longterm fans, but sadly it's a cheap and sleazy little oav, with little to recommend it beyond sheer oddity value.

Back