Your viewing journal

ayase said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Has anyone else had issues with the Redline Blu-ray on a PS3? It's the only disc I own where the controller button shortcuts for pause/play (X) and rewind/fast forward (left/right on the d-pad) don't work.
Huh. I've always used "start" to pause and resume and L2 and R2 to rewind and fast forward... I successfully paused Redline once using the start button.
My thoughts exactly.

The other bit of advice I would give Fabby would be "don't watch movies in TV show episode-sized chunks". :p

fabricatedlunatic said:
Has anyone else had issues with the Redline Blu-ray on a PS3? It's the only disc I own where the controller button shortcuts for pause/play (X) and rewind/fast forward (left/right on the d-pad) don't work. Not only that, but resuming playback takes me right back to the start of the disc instead of where I stopped it. Most annoying.

As for the film... maybe I'm tired or getting old or dead inside, but beyond the technically brilliant animation I've not found much to appreciate in the first 25 minutes. I can't help but feel the overall experience would be greatly enhanced by mind-altering substances, of which I have none.

Wasn't The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya blu-ray delayed because of problems playing it on PS3s? Maybe there is a problem with Redline as well (I own the blu-ray but will be watching it at some point on my bd player rather than my PS3 so I can't comment on it myself).

mangaman74 said:
fabricatedlunatic said:
Has anyone else had issues with the Redline Blu-ray on a PS3? It's the only disc I own where the controller button shortcuts for pause/play (X) and rewind/fast forward (left/right on the d-pad) don't work. Not only that, but resuming playback takes me right back to the start of the disc instead of where I stopped it. Most annoying.

As for the film... maybe I'm tired or getting old or dead inside, but beyond the technically brilliant animation I've not found much to appreciate in the first 25 minutes. I can't help but feel the overall experience would be greatly enhanced by mind-altering substances, of which I have none.

Wasn't The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya blu-ray delayed because of problems playing it on PS3s? Maybe there is a problem with Redline as well (I own the blu-ray but will be watching it at some point on my bd player rather than my PS3 so I can't comment on it myself).
Indeed, Haruhi was delayed because it didn't work on PS3s. I assume MangaUK's testing is then is just putting it in and seeing if it loads up.

Well, okay, L2/R2 and the start button work for Redline. Much obliged. No idea why the d-pad and X button are out of commission for this disc and this disc only, but whatever.

There's still the issue of the PS3 dumping me back to the start of the disc, which I'll just have to deal with (I'm afraid my attention span doesn't permit me to watch a movie in one sitting--Haruhi should be fun).

I ordered the US version of Redline so I'll let you know if it's similarly afflicted. When it arrives. Though X is circle to me.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched a few more episodes of Shikabane Hime, decided to watch this to replace Princess Resurrection as that just didn't grab me, and this has been far more interesting.

Decent artwork, enough going on under the surface with the characters and plot to keep the attention, wasn't sure what to expect when I started but I'm pleasantly surprised by this one.

Also finished off Rin - Daughters of the Mnemosyne.
Definately a wierd one, and unfortunately, an OVA series that probably starts better than it ends.
That said it was cheap, and an interesting watch, at a whole £7 total, I really can't complain too much, even if I would prefer to remember it as the first 4 episodes more than the last 2.

@Sparrowsabre7

Having watched the first seven episodes of Ouran High School Host Club I have to say that I've really enjoyed it so far. Much better than most romantic comedies you see. I think it is because it isn't just fanservice, and when it comes to it is usually the men who go topless rather than Haruhi the female lead. There has been much to laugh at so far, mainly because of the differences between Haruhi's "poor", normal background and the overtly rich background of everyone else at the school. As someone who is British you can relate to it in a way because it has parallels with the subject of class (working and upper).

My main problem is that if you were to compair the host club to something in real life, the only thing I could think of to compair it to would be something like the Bullingdon Club - mainly very rich boys with nothing better to do - except they spend their time pleasing women rather than having dinner and destructive binges. However, the problem with comparing the the Host Club to the Bullingdon Club is that now I can't get the distrubing mental image of David Cameron, George Osbourne and Boris Johnson trying to be sexy out of my head (and now it will be in your head).

Still, I'll be watching episodes 8-13 today.

Ian Wolf said:
@Sparrowsabre7

Having watched the first seven episodes of Ouran High School Host Club I have to say that I've really enjoyed it so far. Much better than most romantic comedies you see. I think it is because it isn't just fanservice, and when it comes to it is usually the men who go topless rather than Haruhi the female lead. There has been much to laugh at so far, mainly because of the differences between Haruhi's "poor", normal background and the overtly rich background of everyone else at the school. As someone who is British you can relate to it in a way because it has parallels with the subject of class (working and upper).

My main problem is that if you were to compair the host club to something in real life, the only thing I could think of to compair it to would be something like the Bullingdon Club - mainly very rich boys with nothing better to do - except they spend their time pleasing women rather than having dinner and destructive binges. However, the problem with comparing the the Host Club to the Bullingdon Club is that now I can't get the distrubing mental image of David Cameron, George Osbourne and Boris Johnson trying to be sexy out of my head (and now it will be in your head).

Still, I'll be watching episodes 8-13 today.

Glad you're enjoying it, it's probably my favourite comedy anime. I really like how much the others exaggerate Haruhi's "poverty." I think it's also good because it has heart too. Haruhi-chan is a funny series but there's no real substance in terms of plot (not that that's always a bad thing).

@AF17 Yes, it's because I've seen it and liked it and wanted to know what you think.

Just watched the karas movie just about to watch the second one. The first one blew my mind with the art direction and visuals.It just looks increidle! Plot's not bad either!

Ian Wolf said:
However, the problem with comparing the the Host Club to the Bullingdon Club is that now I can't get the distrubing mental image of David Cameron, George Osbourne and Boris Johnson trying to be sexy out of my head (and now it will be in your head).
F--- YOU! xD

Whenever I try and think of them being sexy, my mind also jumps to these guys:
Shinryaku-Ika-Musume-S2-01-Cindy-and-the-three-stooges-american-people.jpg

Which in turn, makes me imagine the Three Stooges trying to be sexy.

@Joshawott Don't be stupid. They could never be from a sexy Bullingdon Club. I doubt they've ever had a black member.

Watching Ouran High School Host Club Episodes 14-20 today.

Back