Your viewing journal

Un-Go 3

Finally a case that isn't done in a single episode! I will be honest though, the whole Inga thing is getting pretty boring - I wish it would stop just randomly appearing when the story needs to get moving; for example, only appearing when the Defeated Detective is in a pinch after long detective work (Although there was more detective work in this episode...still needs more).

There's a follow up series to T.Blade too from memory, although I seem to remember it was rather different from the original in many ways. The name takes me back a bit, but beyond that I can't remember a huge amount of other stuff about it, beyond it being one of the earliest animes I saw any serious amount of.

I watched a fair bit of Anime (for me as of recent) today:
Canaan episodes 4-6
Planetes Episodes 14-17.

Both good series, Planetes is stronger though. Canaan is decent and the whole concept of synaesthesia is a fascinating one (fiction and non-fiction) but its not QUITE as good as good as I was hoping it was going to be based off the feedback I'd had before starting. Still good though, I've seen wayyyyy worse.

Mirai Nikki 1-2

Okay, that was a very interesting first episode. The second episode sure opens the can on the psychotic nutcases though. Considering the nutcases and the rather 'weak' main character, I can't help but think of Deadman Wonderland.

I heard a lot of talk about this show being one that could appeal to a more general market...as much as this show has interested me so how, I don't see it.

Bakuman 2 - ep4

It started off a little shaky but the end pulled it back I think. It's somewhat comforting watching this at the same time I'm preparing my dissertation, I feel like I'm similarly struggling with monumental decisions :p

Wolf's Rain Episode 1 -4

I started this show ages ago, but then my Mad Men Dvds arrived and I got distracted. I am planning on making it all the way this time.

I'm enjoying it so far, but it has a strange sad feel to it. I miss the days when you had 4 hot guys as the leads, if this was made today it would probably be 4 teen girls who had wolf ears and tails when in human form.

Corra said:
if this was made today it would probably be 4 teen girls who had wolf ears and tails when in human form.
/pre-orders

Determined to plough through the backlog, last night I watched the first four episodes of Jubei-chan. A dying Jubei Yagyu tasked his disciple with finding a successor with "plump, bouncy bon-bons" (this means exactly what you think it means), and 300 years later said disciple finds a ditzy 14 year-old girl named Jiyu Nanohana. Jiyu doesn't want anything to do with it but with fighters from a rival school of samurai coming out of the woodwork, she has no choice but to put on Jubei's heart-shaped "lovely eyepatch", transforming her into a fearsome warrior. Yeahhhh...

As you'd expect from Akitaro Daichi it's all very silly with just a touch of drama, though I'm not sure whether I should be amused or disturbed at every male character (bar her Dad, mercifully) obsessing over Jiyu's chest. Seeing as I rarely enjoy the mash-up of comedy and drama I'm not quite sure how I feel about these first four episodes, but with a few hints of darkness emerging I am interested in seeing where the show goes from here.

ilmaestro said:
Lawrence said:
vashdaman said:
Watched the first two episodes of Usagi Drops. Brilliant. Its funny, sweet and clever. The animation and art direction in particular are exceptional.

How have I not heard of this until now? Very pleasant surprise.

Sad to say, the anime doesn't adapt the full series, or so I am told.
Some would say "happy to say...".

....After reading this I also went and looked up the manga's ending......

GOOD LORD... What is wrong with these ********s who write this shite. Thats like practically his daughter... Why does it seem to come down to this kind of stomach churning ******** so often in manga or anime. I hope the police investigated the authors house after he put this out. Seriously.

I apologize for my outburst but I feel it was justified.

UN GO ep 3

I liked it and its good that this one is spread over two episodes it seems. I do also agree with Joshawott that it is a bit too much of a convenient plot device to simply get Inga to ask a question that seems to solve everything, as has been done so far. However this is countered for me by the fact that I find Inga, and whatever relationship she has with the detective to be one of the more intriguing aspects of the show.

Moribito 1-4

I can already tell that this is going to be something very special indeed. Flawless Production IG animation and character designs are always a joy to behold; the scenery is beautiful, the 3D animation is probably the most well integrated I've ever seen and the battle scenes are well choreographed and never over-long.

Strong, perceptive and intelligent, Balsa is exactly the kind of female protagonist I like to see. Indeed with those characteristics and that face it's hard not to see her as a distant ancestor of Motoko Kusanagi. And if there's anything anime needs badly, it's more Motoko Kusanagis. The young star-reader looks as though he could develop into an interesting character, as does one of the prince's conflicted pursuers. Also among the main cast are two seemingly intelligent and resourceful children, which is nice to see. But what's especially nice to see is that unlike most privileged fish out of water children, Chagum isn't a stuck-up little ****. Rather he's quiet and grateful for the help he is receiving from Balsa and her friends. I sense a series where I'm going to like all the characters, even the kids. Hooray.

When you're done with Moribito, ayase, be sure to check out Kemono no Souja Erin (available on CR), based on novels by the same author as Moribito. I went back to this recently on CloudedMinds' recommendation, and it is excellent.

alexrose1uk said:
There's a follow up series to T.Blade too from memory, although I seem to remember it was rather different from the original in many ways.

Yes, the sequel was Tekkaman Blade II a six part OVA that started a year after the TV series finished. I'm going to watch it straight after I've finished the TV series.

Star Knight Tekkaman Blade - Episodes 22 - 23

Episode 23 sets up episode 24 for a big reveal, can't wait!

vashdaman said:
UN GO ep 3

I liked it and its good that this one is spread over two episodes it seems. I do also agree with Joshawott that it is a bit too much of a convenient plot device to simply get Inga to ask a question that seems to solve everything, as has been done so far. However this is countered for me by the fact that I find Inga, and whatever relationship she has with the detective to be one of the more intriguing aspects of the show.
My hope is that as the series goes on, the cases get more complicated (hopefully ones where Inga can only produce an important clue rather than solve the case) and eventually there will be one that hits close to home and we actually learn what the deal with Inga is.

Corra said:
Wolf's Rain Episode 1 -4

I started this show ages ago, but then my Mad Men Dvds arrived and I got distracted. I am planning on making it all the way this time.

I'm enjoying it so far, but it has a strange sad feel to it. I miss the days when you had 4 hot guys as the leads, if this was made today it would probably be 4 teen girls who had wolf ears and tails when in human form.

I recommend to stick with it! Wolf's Rain is one of my favourite anime series. It's certainly a tear-jerker in places but I love the whole ethereal, dream-like quality of it.

Paradise Kiss - 8

Yukari: so cool. George: ... a bit of an ass, but rather lovely. Miwako: so cute. I love these characters!

Paradise Kiss - 9 - 12

And... it's over. What will fill the void now? :(

I really enjoyed the series - the ending brought a slight lump to my throat! The short '10 Years Later' scene seemed a little rushed and perhaps unnecessary but it was cute nonetheless. I think Ai Yazawa made a good choice in finishing it all off by sending George to Paris; it wouldn't have been quite so feasible had she given it a traditional Happily-Ever-After ending.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back