Your viewing journal

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
Girl Who Leapt Through Space 5-9

Still feel about as meh about this show as I always thought I would, though at least it has lots of nice shots of Itsuki's thighs. Ishida Akira was a nice surprise, even if he barely had any lines.

Fate/Zero 2

Iskandar is cool. Gilgamesh is awesome again and next week cannot come soon enough. And I was treated to even more Ishida for the day! I hope Aniplex do a KnK on the upcoming sets for this, otherwise I'll R1 it when the inevitable time comes. Enjoying it so much more than Fate/Stay Night.

Edit: Squeezed in Persona 4 episode 1 too on AoD

Hmm, I haven't played a Persona game since 2 on the PSX. I really enjoyed the series back then but haven't really had time to commit to following it since. The Persona 4 anime sounded brilliant as a way for me to take a peek at how things have come along, but having seen the first episode, I have mixed feelings. The pacing felt a little off; a lot happened but at the same time it felt slow and uneven. I also think the main character could use some fleshing out as he feels sort of distant and shallow (even taking into account the RPG roots and all that entails). The other characters seem decent. The art style in the anime is strange too; at times it looks fantastic like the games and concept art and at times it looks almost bland. Hoping that this one is a slow starter and I get more into it gradually.

R
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Max Takeshi

Great Teacher
Rui said:
Edit: Squeezed in Persona 4 episode 1 too on AoD

Hmm, I haven't played a Persona game since 2 on the PSX. I really enjoyed the series back then but haven't really had time to commit to following it since. The Persona 4 anime sounded brilliant as a way for me to take a peek at how things have come along, but having seen the first episode, I have mixed feelings. The pacing felt a little off; a lot happened but at the same time it felt slow and uneven. I also think the main character could use some fleshing out as he feels sort of distant and shallow (even taking into account the RPG roots and all that entails). The other characters seem decent. The art style in the anime is strange too; at times it looks fantastic like the games and concept art and at times it looks almost bland. Hoping that this one is a slow starter and I get more into it gradually.

R
I've just seen this myself, the difference being I have played and finished the game.

Must say I am torn. Liked how they practically used the game's conventions for scene links, and the use of the OST. Hearing the main character speak felt odd, as did the fact that this twenty minute episode was the game's first hour and a bit condensed. That would be the pacing problem. I did enjoy it, but ultimately it felt hollow.

Though I'm still wondering how they are going to go about Rise's particular story part.

Also (sort of) watched Higurahi No Naku Koro Ni Kira: OVA 1.

Sort of watched it because I feel asleep during the first half (only having watched the opening scene), but picked it up during the second. Was very much firmly rooted in the 'Funny Higurashi' section with some rather sweatdrop inducing moments. Good to see the return of the Soul Brothers, though.

But overall this is where Higurashi's creepy factor really starts to eat away at me. At its heart the universe is a horror/mystery affair, with the occasional goofball moment for pacing and well, uh... humour. Yet the Sound Novels are very creepy experiences (especially Onikakushi), but sometimes everything decends into ridiculous slapstick. In many ways I find that fact even creepier than the proper horror parts.
 

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
Rui said:
I hope Aniplex do a KnK on the upcoming sets for this, otherwise I'll R1 it when the inevitable time comes. Enjoying it so much more than Fate/Stay Night.
Are they doing something special for the release, or do you just mean when it comes out on BD as normal?
 

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
Kami-sama Dolls ep 7 - This series had been passing by fairly inoffensively, on the back of some endearing 90s sensibilities and stylings, but this was the balls-to-the-wall episode it needed to really move into a higher gear. Past "arcs" are usually pretty good for that, and this was no exception, with some actual emotional motivation for at least one of the characters!

Usagi Drop ep 9 - I was tearing up as Daikichi was speaking with Kouki towards the end of the episode, and I couldn't even specifically tell you why. This is a simply beautiful show, but I'm not really sure what to expect in the last two episodes.
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
ilmaestro said:
Are they doing something special for the release, or do you just mean when it comes out on BD as normal?
I believe it's going straight to cour sets, with extra scenes and cleanup, which is a very tempting prospect for me (especially if they stick the NND subs on the set too). I find it easier to pass on singles than sets even if the total price is comparable ^^;

Sets also made it sound more USA-palatable to me, so I have fingers crossed.

(Source: http://muhootsaver.tistory.com/1426 )

R
 

MercenaryRaiden

Great Teacher
Idolm@ster ep 13

Could go on about this ep for a while but I won't. Fantastic stuff with both new songs being excellent. I hope they aren't dlc for the ps3 ver cause I could see myself buying those!

Also...Miki, Makoto and Hibiki as a trio huh...Hmmmmmmm....

Persona 4 The Animation ep 1

As someone who absolutely adores the game I quite enjoyed this! I was suprised that most of the bgm was from the games, although having The Poem For Everyone's Souls as the first piece? Brilliant.

I appreciate some of the stuff that they had to cut down for the anime though but my fanboy side is a bit irritated at some things. Creepy guy talking to Yukiko outside of the school being cut made me more angry then I should be. It's important but it can be put in somewhere else easily...Also I really wish Awakening was used as the BGM when Yu's persona awakened but oh well. This is just me being *really picky* though! I do appreciate that the fairly long introduction was cut down in favour of reaching a good point for viewers to get hooked.

Really looking forward to what they do with the rest and whether they'll reference some new stuff for The Golden port to PSVita.
 

Sparrowsabre7

Za Warudo
Gundam 00 S2 Episode 8 Rewatch

WAIT! Regene Regetta is a MAN!? WHAT!? I don't even... Oy...

I also rewatched Evangelion 1.11 and enjoyed it much more the second time round. I've also rented MD Geist so I'll be watching that later, along with Bakuman 2
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
MercenaryRaiden said:
This is just me being *really picky* though! I do appreciate that the fairly long introduction was cut down in favour of reaching a good point for viewers to get hooked.
Hmm, that's a good point, I guess they felt they had to zoom through things to have a typical action-packed ending to the episode. If that's the case, I hope they pace things better for the next few episode now that we've tasted the cool stuff.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
WAIT! Regene Regetta is a MAN!? WHAT!? I don't even... Oy...
Rofl. If it makes you feel better I think the Innovades are fairly flexible about their genders >_>;

R
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Gundam 00 S2 Episode 8 Rewatch

WAIT! Regene Regetta is a MAN!? WHAT!? I don't even... Oy...
Ahh mistake 101. In anime everyone must be automatically assumed to be male, under no circumstances let your guard down, or you will up confused and bewildered.
 

Sparrowsabre7

Za Warudo
vashdaman said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Gundam 00 S2 Episode 8 Rewatch

WAIT! Regene Regetta is a MAN!? WHAT!? I don't even... Oy...
Ahh mistake 101. In anime everyone must be automatically assumed to be male, under no circumstances let your guard down, or you will up confused and bewildered.
I thought I'd been watching long enough to spot the difference but I guess not. I... cannot become a Gundam... VEEEEEEEEEEDAAAAAAAAAAA! etc. :p

I guess I figured since there were two of each hair colour that there was one male and one female. Considering each were voiced this way and appeared this way visually I thought that was the case...
 

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Sparrowsabre7 said:
vashdaman said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Gundam 00 S2 Episode 8 Rewatch

WAIT! Regene Regetta is a MAN!? WHAT!? I don't even... Oy...
Ahh mistake 101. In anime everyone must be automatically assumed to be male, under no circumstances let your guard down, or you will up confused and bewildered.
I thought I'd been watching long enough to spot the difference but I guess not. I... cannot become a Gundam... VEEEEEEEEEEDAAAAAAAAAAA! etc. :p

I guess I figured since there were two of each hair colour that there was one male and one female. Considering each were voiced this way and appeared this way visually I thought that was the case...
I know, trust me. I think the makers of these shows actually enjoy messing with our heads this way....
 
ilmaestro said:
I think you have missed the real lesson to be learnt from that... you are now armed with the excuse of "oh... er... I thought it was his sister!", so you only need to be half as cautious!
Well... she only showed up once more, in the final episode, which was kind of disappointing. On the plus side this second and final appearance involved her breasts being exposed by Kanako, who obviously thought she was Mariya.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Moderator
Sky Blue

A watchable Korean CGI animation about a post-apocalyptic freedom-fighter trying to topple an oppressive city-state. Given the visual design and general theme, it feels a lot like a lightweight predecessor of Ergo Proxy. I don't see it being especially memorable, but it certainly held my interest and the direction showed a bit of flair too.
 

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
MercenaryRaiden said:
Also...Miki, Makoto and Hibiki as a trio huh...Hmmmmmmm....
I think you mean... HNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG. :p

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Gundam 00 S2 Episode 8 Rewatch

WAIT! Regene Regetta is a MAN!? WHAT!? I don't even... Oy...
No, YOU wait... didn't you say "rewatch"?! :lol:

As Rui covered though, pigeonholing Innovades according to human gender conventions is merely a convenience for when they are trying to pass as human.
 
Top