Your viewing journal

Katanagatari 12

I finally plucked up the courage to watch the last episode yesterday. It doesn't feel quite right to say I thoroughly enjoyed the series given how much bloodshed it included throughout, but I thought it was one of the best things I've seen in a long while. I'd have loved to see more of some of the characters, especially more on Maniwa Houou and Souda Emonzaemon, but teasing with just enough detail and letting me fill in the blanks myself is ok too. This series was a rare treat.

Bakemonogatari 11-15

I decided to finish this too while I was at it, just in time for the hype train to start up in earnest for the upcoming followups. I didn't like it quite as much as Katanagatari, perhaps contrarily, but Bakemonogatari was still a top tier experience in spite of all the hype. Really glad I got the CD editions now. And that last OP sequence was especially hot *_*;

I've seen far too many high quality shows this weekend, perhaps I should pop Dragonaut in next.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
sean morrison said:
I watched Gurren Lagann episodes 1-6 over the past few days and every episode seems better than the previous one and I can't wait to watch more.
Yeah. I thought it started to get really good after the recap episode.

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
Bakemonogatari

I didn't like it quite as much as Katanagatari
I'm wondering (in an attempted non-sexist way) if this is a girl thing.

Haha, I don't mind if it is. Though I think it's at least partly because I automatically give things with swords and ninja in a heap of bonus points for no real reason (which may admittedly be a girl thing) >_>;

Edit: Actually thinking more on it, I think I liked that the stakes in Katanagatari felt more serious as well, whereas the events in Bakemonogatari were more self-contained. If that makes sense. I liked all of the characters in both, unusually (even Mayoi, who I thought would irritate me when I saw her design originally, and Araragi, who was unusually cool for the type of character he was) but there were a lot more characters in Katanagatari to choose from, and because most of them got very little screen time there was more of a sense of mystery. I am also fond of the old fashioned formula of an episodic story with all of the ritual and rigidity that that entails, so the serialised monster-of-the-week format played right to my tastes.

R

Right, i won't add what i thought of each of these, will do so probably in the "out of 10" topic. But from the Scotland Loves Animation event:

Letter to Momo
Hotarubi no Mori E
Colourful
Votoms: Pailsen Files Movie
Mardock Scramble Parts 1 and 2
Tekken: Blood Vengence
Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror
Coicent
Towanoquon
Five Numbers

also got in Persona 4 episodes 1 and 2, which i'm really enjoying, and thankful to aniplex for since they are keeping it very faithful to the game

Mobile Suit Gundam Age - Episode 2

There are strong echos of MSG, and it is definitely aimed at a slightly younger audience, but is was good and the next episode looks interesting!

Rui said:
Edit: Actually thinking more on it, I think I liked that the stakes in Katanagatari felt more serious as well, whereas the events in Bakemonogatari were more self-contained. If that makes sense
Yes, definitely, Bake is done on a much smaller scale, I can see why some people would go for one or the other in that regard. I will award you one "gender neutral opinion" point in this matter. :D

girls high tomorrow

i couldn't watch girls high today cause my dad was dragging me around all day and it really pissed me off.

but tomorrow i will watch girls high but in the mean time il watch raman fighter miki on youtube and comment

Horizon ep 3 - Regained some of its form, by focusing on the better side characters (hey, it's the season of heterochromia, and also Seijun would have been an immense character even if Sawashiro Miyuki wasn't voicing her)

Working'!! ep 3 - Entertaining use of the sisters, good stuff as always.

C[Cube] ep 3 - The series has taken an appreciably dark turn, why they started with the ep 1 they did is anyone's guess.

Bakuman s2 ep 3 - Nakai, just so hardbody. Can't blame him though, Aoki-jou would get it all day, every day.

MajiKoi! ep 3 - Mmm, this has lost some of the crazy energy from ep 1, but remains entertaining.

Ben-to ep 2 - Quite spectacular, takes itself just seriously enough to not totally ludicrous, not seriously enough to ruin the atmosphere.

Phi Brain ep 3 - This is close to being dropped, the Deus Ex Machina just doesn't suit it. Proves beyond a doubt that a Layton anime would be top tier, though, imo.

Mirai Nikki ep 2 - Mmm, this one feels like it is still taking its time to come together, but there is an underlying sense of quality. Eden of the East vibes from this episode, more than anything else.

Ika-musume ep 3 - More consistent than last season, another very easy episode to watch.

Kimi to Boku ep 2 - Shun was actually kind of awesome, but those eyes are still haunting me.

Chihayafuru ep 2 - Definitely my surprise hit of the season, this is just unbridled fun to watch. The episode was kind of straightforward, but at least the resolution to Ta'ichi's underhanded bastardness wasn't entirely simplified.

Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam ep 1 - "Adrenaline fueled joyride" "Seat of your pants entertainment"... this would review pretty well in a tabloid film review section, although I don't mean that in anything like the facetious tone that it probably sounds. May have been the most entertaining ep 1 of the season.

NANA - Re-watching this series as I only ever got up to about episode 20 before. I love it!

Up to episode 19.
Ren and Nana have just been reunited - very touching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back