Your viewing journal

Squid Girl 11-12

Urgh...I was just reminded of why I find dolls absolutely terrifying. Ep 11 is definitely one to skip when I catch up with my little brother...the dolls would probably scare the hell out of him xD

I also can't be the only one who found it adorable when Squid Girl had her tentacles cut...

Persona 4 ep2

Bleh, just can't get into this despite the lovely artwork and flashiness. I'll stop watching it for now and pick it up again if I hear overwhelmingly positive things in the coming weeks. It took me ages to get through this one episode because I kept wandering off boredly ^^;

I think the lack of character development in the adaptation is killing it for me, as someone who didn't play the game. Might benefit more from marathoning it later.

Fate/Zero ep3

So much better! I loved this. Definitely buying the box sets as a priority when they come out. Archer remains as wonderful as ever and Rider continues to be adorable. Even Saber, who I didn't warm to in Stay Night, is much more likeable this time around. I'm interested to see how the whole Assassin thing is going to work.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-watched Eva 2.22. Any dub watchers of eva here? You find the dialogue really quiet in the mix compared to the SFX/ music? I found myself turning the volume up and down a lot. Up for quiet dialogue scenes then almost immediately down again because someone would be screaming/ helicopter taking off etc.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Re-watched Eva 2.22. Any dub watchers of eva here? You find the dialogue really quiet in the mix compared to the SFX/ music? I found myself turning the volume up and down a lot. Up for quiet dialogue scenes then almost immediately down again because someone would be screaming/ helicopter taking off etc.
You mean they actually kept the volumes at the correct levels. :eek:

Most anime is like that, or rather most Japanese cinema is.
Characters routinely speak from rear channels with the front for the main audio, the music.

Eva was always bad for characters being drowned out by helicopters etc.
Yes it's supposed to be like that, you've just listened to a lot of bad dubs (i.e ones that tried to be too creative, and make the audio mix more American) and have got used to it.

Horizon ep 2 - Well, that kind of fell apart at the seams. Maybe it's just that I can't stand Toori's face, maybe this episode was just legit terrible. Maybe both eps have been.

C [Cube] ep 2 - Where the heck did that come from?! The last ten minutes of the episode were fantastic! I apologize for dismissing this as purely a pantsu anime, top five-ish of the season after this week.

Bakuman s2 ep 2 - Takagi on the phone. Like a boss.

Reaper gI said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
You mean they actually kept the volumes at the correct levels. :eek:

Most anime is like that, or rather most Japanese cinema is.
Characters routinely speak from rear channels with the front for the main audio, the music.

Eva was always bad for characters being drowned out by helicopters etc.
Yes it's supposed to be like that, you've just listened to a lot of bad dubs (i.e ones that tried to be too creative, and make the audio mix more American) and have got used to it.

Oh really? I've never noticed that in any of the anime I watch subbed =/ but I guess being a cinema release there would be a larger difference in volume for better effect on surround sound etc. (I also fail to see how making voices clearer = a bad dub :p I would like to hear the voices over the ambient noise even if it meant tarnishing the original mix.)

Armor Hunter Mellowlink - Ep1

I probably shouldn't be so hasty to judge a series on the strength of one episode, but first impressions of this revenge tale set in the Votoms universe were rather underwhelming (not much helped by the woeful op theme).

The action is decent enough and the OAV production values are certainly evident, but it feels far more lightweight than the main series. I especially wasn't impressed with Mellowlink himself as a main character. It's understandable that they'd want to have someone very different to Chirico Cuvie, but I just wasn't sold on Mellowlink as a Rambo-style guerilla fighter; in war movie terms he's more like that kind but ineffectual young officer you wouldn't bet on suriving past the end credits.

Nevertheless, I was interested enough to want to continue with it and my gut feeling is that it might actually play quite well in an anime club environment.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Oh really? I've never noticed that in any of the anime I watch subbed =/ but I guess being a cinema release there would be a larger difference in volume for better effect on surround sound etc. (I also fail to see how making voices clearer = a bad dub :p I would like to hear the voices over the ambient noise even if it meant tarnishing the original mix.)
It's mostly a cinema only thing, TV anime is normally in stereo. Most 5.1 tracks are up mixes done for only the English dub.

Messing with the directors opinion on what it should sound like = artistically bad.
You can hear everyone speak just the SFX /music are supposed to be really, really loud in places. There's also background chatter that you aren't supposed to hear clearly anyway.

Reaper gI said:
You can hear everyone speak just the SFX /music are supposed to be really, really loud in places. There's also background chatter that you aren't supposed to hear clearly anyway.
Often, if I can't hear background chatter or it isn't subbed, for some reason it makes me want to know what the background people are talking about.

Back