Your viewing journal

I'm up for a Macross-a-thon now I have the time again. It will be my first run through though (I just wish I had the technology to upscale R1s, it's put me off watching any for a while).

ayase said:
I just wish I had the technology to upscale R1s, it's put me off watching any for a while.
The solution to this is both affordable and effective. All that is required is the use of a small screen as opposed to a large one. With such measures in place, differences in resolution between various media become negligable. One can but admit that this suffers drawbacks, though it is a solution to the issue at hand nonetheless.

My small screen went to the tip when I upgraded to an HDTV Zin5ki. I neither had the space for it, nor the inclination to keep it after a strange blue glow appeared on the screen.

I could use my laptop, but the native resolution of its 17" screen is in fact higher than that of my 1080p television...

Zin5ki said:
ayase said:
I just wish I had the technology to upscale R1s, it's put me off watching any for a while.
The solution to this is both affordable and effective. All that is required is the use of a small screen as opposed to a large one. With such measures in place, differences in resolution between various media become negligable. One can but admit that this suffers drawbacks, though it is a solution to the issue at hand nonetheless.
But having a smaller screen would require a new set anyway and why not getting the means for upscaling instead of a new set?

What I really want is a standalone R1 DVD/RA Blu-ray player to go alongside my PS3, which will kill two birds with one stone and allow me to import US BDs as well as upscale US DVDs.

ayase said:
What I really want is a standalone R1 DVD/RA Blu-ray player to go alongside my PS3, which will kill two birds with one stone and allow me to import US BDs as well as upscale US DVDs.

This is the solution I resorted to so I could watch US Funimation Blu-ray collections.

For today so far:

Prism Ark - Episodes 11 & 12

I plan to watch Ghost in the Shell 2.0 on Blu-ray tonight.

ayase said:
This site sells multi-region modded BD players, if you're interested. Alternatively, if you can find a Tevion DVD1100UKT still on sale in Aldi, it's remote-code-able to make it multi-region, and I've been quite happy with mine so far.

Welcome to the NHK 20-end

Good stuff. At some point I started loving the second ED and now I've bought it on iTunes, so I can feel miserable yet hysterically hopeful at the same time wherever I happen to be. The series was strong throughout and I liked the end even with the change in tone in the later episodes. That was the weakest spoiler ever - being careful!

Neo Angelique Abyss 1-4

Err...so far the most attractive and interesting character is actually the main girl, which is a bit of a problem in a bishounen harem show. There's no character development at all (ok, it's only 4 episodes in but it's a very short series!). I have high hopes for the flouncy green haired chap in the next episode preview but this show so far hasn't been very good at all. I optimistically bought the second season as well so let's hope it improves.

Strike Witches 1-8

My husband's watching this. Unfortunately, my desk is in the same room as the TV, so I am suffering through it too. It's even more absurd and dumb than expected, though it is providing us with a lot of laughs as we make fun of everything.

Slayers Revolution 1-4

We're watching this together so it's slow progress. Love it so far! I was a pretty ferocious Slayers-otaku back in the day so had some concern this might not have the same spark at first, but it's actually perfect. The sequel will be preordered in my next big purchasing session.

Kujibiki Unbalance 1-12

The next episode previews were always better than the episodes themselves. This show wasn't actually that bad despite the horrible character designs and pointlessness of it all. It was a joke carried on far longer than was necessary though and I really didn't care about anything that happened. Solidly "meh".

Gundam 00 second season 1-7

I was meant to be waiting on the Beez release until I suddenly cracked and bought R1. It's important to me to see as much 00 as I can before my trip this summer as I'll be on the merchandising trail for it and want to limit spoilers. I know a lot of people ignore 00 now it's out in R1 and fashionable to hate on it but as Neo Angelique Abyss sadly shows, pretty faces aren't enough to hold my interest alone. The new, older character designs are stunning and the plot so far is great. Sergei is moe now. Season 2 is doing a superb job of picking up on loose ends from the original run and giving them a tug, so it doesn't feel horribly bolted on like Gundam Seed Destiny did.

The second volume isn't out for a while yet and I can't stand it. I'll switch back to Beez's version if they catch up by the time I'm back from my holidays.

R

Last edited by a moderator:
Rui said:
Gundam 00 second season 1-7

I was meant to be waiting on the Beez release until I suddenly cracked and bought R1. It's important to me to see as much 00 as I can before my trip this summer as I'll be on the merchandising trail for it and want to limit spoilers. I know a lot of people ignore 00 now it's out in R1 and fashionable to hate on it but as Neo Angelique Abyss sadly shows, pretty faces aren't enough to hold my interest alone. The new, older character designs are stunning and the plot so far is great. Sergei is moe now. Season 2 is doing a superb job of picking up on loose ends from the original run and giving them a tug, so it doesn't feel horribly bolted on like Gundam Seed Destiny did.

The second volume isn't out for a while yet and I can't stand it. I'll switch back to Beez's version if they catch up by the time I'm back from my holidays.

R

I should warn you, I felt the second season went a bit downhill around the mid-point ish, only Ali's return and That whore Nena's death kept me going. It wasn't terrible, but as slightly inferior second seasons go I preferred Code Geass R2

Last edited by a moderator:
Rui said:
I know a lot of people ignore 00 now it's out in R1 and fashionable to hate on it
Really? :( I can only put this down to "it's fashionable to hate on everything".

Glad to hear you're secretly enjoying Strike Witches. :p

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:
I know a lot of people ignore 00 now it's out in R1 and fashionable to hate on it
Really? :( I can only put this down to "it's fashionable to hate on everything".

I was under the impression that everyone didn't care about 00 because it was in the way of Code Geass R2 and the latest Gundam since the ill-fated Gundam Seed Destiny.

Finished Neo Angelique Abyss season 1 last night. It remained steadfastly mediocre and shallow, though the character designs are at least very pretty. I'll take a break before starting season 2.

ilmaestro said:
Rui said:

Argh, four more episodes left ;p

It might be bearable if the whole pants thing was removed (poor choice of wording here by me) and the focus was entirely on the older, less annoying girls.

We've also started Lucky Star, which is better because the characters wear clothes more often. I'm not too sure about it in general yet though. A few more episodes are needed to form a solid opinion.

On 00, I checked out the review for the volume I watched the other day on ANN - second post started, "A B+ for this heap of disappointing and messy faecal matter?". I don't get it either, but there's a certain class of anime watcher which seems to immediately feel the need to hate on things as soon as they are "popular" without bothering to explain why.

Even if 00's quality drops for the rest of season 2, I felt the first volume more then gave me enough value to continue buying. Annoying that the movie is due out in September rather than August...grr.

R

I just quickly posted this on my friends MAL account about the latest FMA episode (54). Spoilers for the ep, obviously.

Well, that is why I'm ******* watching Fullmetal Alchemist. 54 was something special. It's lacked that emotional resonance for way to long, and Envy of all people brought it out. That entire sequence was perfect. Envy shouting desperately to these people, knowing he was going to die soon and everyone wonderfully staying absolutely silent. No music, no quick cuts, no speech. Just Envy shouting for his life. Magnificent.

The rest was pretty cool as well. Their sensei reappearing and Alex being strong again. Also thought the ending was pretty inspired.

And, the OP, okay, I know its been used a few times but damn me to Hell if that isn't one of the saddest openings you have ever heard. Not even because of the animation or the song, its both of them put together with the fact this epic journey is almost at its end.

Ah~~ Good ep, yeah. I'm missing Winry like crazy as well.

Basically, I'm happy to see the show is back on track and hope it can last.

Back