Your viewing journal

Bleach Volume 19. Okay but formulaic.

Darker Than Black Volume 6. An okay end to the series. The un-aired episode at the end was fun, though I am quite glad it was not inserted where it probably should go in the timeline as it was a comedy episode.

Moribito Volume 5. The Story is still ticking over quite nicely. The art as usual is beautiful except in one obvious CG moment during a market scene.

Ouran Host Club Ep.24-26

&

One Piece Ep.3-4
Decided to tackle this mahoosive series after long debate. Only another 400 episodes til i catch up :)

Did this thread not used to be stickied?

I have watched a relatively large volume of anime over the past couple of days. Operation Clear That Sodding Backlog is underway.

Urusei Yatsura 17-22 (rewatch)
Beck 19-24
Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVA episode 1

Slayers 11-20

Showing definate improvment. The more standalone nature of these episodes to the earlier ones, coupled with the inclusion of new characters and a greater focus on comedy is going a long way to endearing Slayers to me. Gourry & Lina are great characters no question, but there's only so much mileage can be had out of that double act. The inclusion of Amelia and Sylphiel, and the return of Zelgadis to the regular lineup is making me look forward very much to the 80-odd episodes I've got to go.

You wanna know something I really love about Slayers? These two pictures at the beginning of every episode:

screen-187581.png

screen-187691.png

If it's their deformed, amateurish nature or the fact they're such hilarious still images I don't know. They just totally crack me up.

Remind me at what episode the "save the world from the evil blind dude" arc ends? I hated that so much I dropped the series there and then. Slayers does not, in my opinion, have the characters to convincingly pull off "serious".

CloudedMinds said:
chaos said:
CloudedMinds said:
Some people are so obsessed about mention that particular "series" over and over again :p

He might have been watching Magical Girl Ai, Jiburiru or even Inyouchu for all you know ;)
it seems someone knows his hentai :p

I think someone else also knows his hentai too :p
Who me? nope. It's only for the sake of running a anime website... ;)

Anyway, I kid. I'm not into hentai. I'm afraid that once I start, I can't stop... =D

'The Pringles Effect', I see.

Today I rewatched Patlabor 2 the Movie with my younger sister. A second viewing does help to clarify dense stories like this, I find.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Remind me at what episode the "save the world from the evil blind dude" arc ends? I hated that so much I dropped the series there and then. Slayers does not, in my opinion, have the characters to convincingly pull off "serious".
Well how early did you drop it? It first ends at ep.10, but then at ep.18: He's baaack... Personally I think after the first arc (eps.1-10) they get better at integrating the comedy and drama to a degree where it doesn't seem too dramatic and you just want them to get back to the comedy. I was pretty caught up in the story by the end, once it left cliche-town and started doing it's own thing. (Bad guy who used to be a good guy resurrects ancient evil... How many times had we seen that before?)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the thing: I can't remember. I thought it was late teens but when you said that the episodes you'd watched were of a more standalone and comedic nature, I found myself adrift in a sea of confusion.

Slayers works pretty well as a comedy, even if they repeat the same jokes over and over, but not so much as serious business fantasy. Have you seen Rune Solider? That's almost entirely episodic and, in my opinion, much more amusing than Slayers.

Episodes 11-17 follow them on a rough journey while there's a bounty on their heads and they're being chased by a swordsman and a wizard. But this is pretty loosely told and leaves room for some comedy episodes like one where Lina agrees to a sham marriage and another where they fight a gay sea serpent while Gourry is in drag... Those episodes are pretty comedic.

Not seen Rune Soldier, no. I'll add it to the never-ending list.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Slayers works pretty well as a comedy, even if they repeat the same jokes over and over, but not so much as serious business fantasy. Have you seen Rune Solider? That's almost entirely episodic and, in my opinion, much more amusing than Slayers.
I'm on the fourth volume of Rune Soldier and so it's good, but slayers is hilarious in my opinion.

But, I've got Rune soldier without knowing anything about the show, simply because it's from the same people from Record or Loddos war.

I still need to track a copy of record of Loddos for me... =(

It has to be said there are some really good (and sometimes unexpected) moments of comedy in Slayers. One thing which made me laugh out loud last night was when, after walking down a never-ending staircase they come to an open chamber with a door on the far side of it, open the door and... more stairs. That's pretty funny in itself, but what got me was Lina then exclaiming "Why would anyone put a door here!?"

That does sound quite funny. Though I don't want to labour the point, it just makes me even more disappointed that the show feels as though it needs the typical "save the world from twisted baddie" fantasy guff.

chaos said:
I still need to track a copy of record of Loddos for me... =(
Man, the Lodoss OVA is awesome. I'm surprised that it's not been rescued yet; it seems perfect for ADV.

was bored the other day was thinking that i shoud probley catch up on some of the series so i decided to randomly decided to pick a boxset so went with Black Cat so in the past three ive watched all 24 eps.

I read 6 vols of the manga and i do prefer the manga over the anime series, don't get me wrong i really enjoy the series but the line between the serious parts of it and the comedy don't quite mix right, there is comdy bits where just don't seem to fit in.

Hmm wonder what i should watch next that i haven't started or finished

Started Fullmetal Alchemist a day or so ago; am up to episode 9. I'm 100% hooked on this. Better not take on any more series for a while now; I'm watching four just now, which is more than I've done before. 07-Ghost, Pandora Hearts, Samurai Deeper Kyo and Fullmetal Alchemist... but I want to watch Gundam 00 too... Ah, it'll have to wait.

Ouran High School Host Club - Watched the whole series over the last two weeks. Loved it and have no idea why I put it off for so long. Was one of those anime that left me wanting more. I noticed that if I watched the series for a long period of time, everything else I look at afterwards has a hint of pink. lol

Full Metal Panic! (rewatch) Ep1-6 - Got the boxset in the post the other week decided to watch the english dub after oly having seen the sub. (sub wins)

Tetsuwan Birdy Decode - Watched the first series over the last two nights (only 13 episodes like). I watched it thanks to Lupus and his MAL. Good series actually. Wasn't anything mind blowing but definatey worth the watch. I hear the second series is better. *rubs hands* =P

Back