Your viewing journal

The Pet Girl of Sakurasou episodes 19-24: Well, that's over. I enjoyed a lot about this series but there was also a lot I found irritating, mostly the shouty acting and the way they treated Mashiro like a painting robot.

Seitokai Yakuindomo the movie 2: Just as filthy as the previous series' and movie. What a surprise ending!

The Fruit of Grisaia episodes 1-4: I got the sequel to this in my Sentai mystery box, so I had to buy this as well. Interesting cast of characters and an intriguing story. The question is can they maintain the tension and come up with a satisfying conclusion.
I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 parts of Grisaia. Action parts, sad and disturbing parts and some comedy.
I'm a sucker for a man with a monotone voice. Ooh er, Madam.
Hope you find you want to get to the end.

In & Out - Rewatched this yet again on a date, had fun with it as always, Kevin Kline gives a fab performance and I enjoyed the way they contrasted the somewhat superficial acceptance of Hollywood with the small-town people being, for the most part, pretty accepting ultimately - not always true to life for sure (I feel the need to emphasise that sadly), but it puts across the point that being willing to learn and grow counts for as much as getting everything "right" on the first try. A lovely, warm-hearted film with some very funny moments (particularly the hilarious masculinity training tape that Howard listens to in one scene) and it has Macho Man by The Village people on the soundtrack :)

Little Busters EX (English subbed) - A nice wrap up for what is kind of a "lite" Key-game-based anime series, a bit less impactful and polished than the KyoAni adaptations of Clannad and Kanon, but still very enjoyable, cute, funny and at times appropriately tearjerking. Not sure how involved Jun Maeda was in the anime version of LB but I'd recommend it if you liked the aforementioned KyoAni shows and Angel Beats and I do like that there's a decent amount of it with series one, two and the OVAs to enjoy the world and characters, I do think it's better subbed though, the dub didn't really grab me though I probably should have tried putting it on again in the middle of a later episode of the series to see if it had improved :)

Nana (English dubbed) - Wow this show was a beautiful, profoundly moving experience, and the dub is excellent (way better than the dub for Honey and Clover), for sure one of the best shoujo/josei anime and I desperately wanted to see both Nanas find happiness and see each other again. Also a really interesting story about the social and societal pressures of compulsory heterosexuality (and arguably compulsory monogamy as well). I wish there was more of it! Could easily have watched way more episodes about this bunch of characters! Great music too, really gets across their passion for it :)

I am now watching Magic Knight Rayearth (English dubbed) and Patlabor TV (English subbed), really enjoying both so far :)

BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!
A fantastic start for a new era. The story takes a more serious tone, ditching the lovable goofballs of past seasons for more flawed characters and effective drama. They still have their quirks and Raana provides some good comic relief but for the most part MyGO!!!!! and Ave Mujica's members are the most hostile characters in the franchise. The music is raw, the angst is at an all time high and this is studio SANZIGEN in their best production yet. It's an ambitious approach and MyGO!!!!! absolutely delivers. Easily my anime of the season and (depending on how the Autumn season goes) a candidate for anime of the year.

Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead
Meanwhile this one I've dropped 6 episodes in. Outside of the fantastic first episode this series just hasn't interested me as much in the following episodes.

Kakuriyo episodes 10-13: Excellent, with a cliff-hanger ending for the end of the first half of the series. My only complaint is that the title clearly says bed and breakfast, but it's still just a restaurant (at this point).

Well, Sgt Frog seasons 3&4 has just arrived. I just need to find a spare 37 hours to watch it!

Kuromukuro - Episodes 1 - 13

I finished my books and wanted something for the flight home (and entertain me while my wife was having some treatments in the spa at the end of last week) so looked again at my watchlist on Netflix and I've had Kuromukuro on there for years so decided to finally give it a go. It's a real mash up of Evangelion, RahXephon, Samurai 7 (plus a few others) and features two characters that are definitely based on Mulder and Scully from the X-Files! It's a bit goofy at times, but the story is paced quite well and it builds a decent sense of intrigue as details are drip fed in, not a masterpiece but I have been entertained by this first have of the show.

My Happy Marriage eps 7-9
Lessons and nightmares.

The Reign of the Seven Spellblades ep 6
Plot twist out of nowhere. That felt a very rushed episode dealing with the end of the event started in the previous episode to a major event setting up the true nature of the story!

Horimiya: The Missing Pieces eps 7 & 8
More random fun from the quirky bunch.

Zom 100 eps 5 & 6
Hero to zero.

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
Episodes 1-25 (or 26-50 as it's the 2nd season)

Story continues from the 1st season with new characters getting introduced with a focus on magic, leading up to the big battle. Ending left it open for new episodes to get made if a 3rd season ever got the green light as the manga was ongoing.

Bungou Stray Dogs 5th Season episode 61 Trust. (Complete. Another strong season for one of my favourite ongoing stories.) 4/5

Reborn as a Vending Machine, I Wander the Dungeon
episode 12 Monstrous opponent. (Complete. Considering the ridiculous nature of the premise this was quite watchable and is even getting a second season.) 3/5

Undead Murder Farce
episode 12 Guardian angel.

GaoGaiGar The King of Braves episodes 10-22

Fate-athon (Running list, will be updated)

Part 1 - Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya [Up to date]
Complete: Seasons 1-4, 2 OVA's & 2 movies
Skipped: Specials
To Follow: Movie 3

Part 2 - Fate Zero [To Start]

Sgt Frog season 3 episodes 1-2: Easing my way into this. Who builds a robot with two switches - housework and takeover planet? Crazy frogs!

The Fruit of Grisaia episodes 5-13: lot of darkness as we find out the backstories of the cast. And then a real cliffhanger to finish the series (well, more a preview of what's to come). Still enjoying it and not angry with any characters ... yet. One problem I have is the bus crash happened six years ago, so Amane was 10? 12? Either her fellow students were all early developers or she was the baby of the group .. or she shouldn't still be in school.

Macross Delta Episode 1 (Rewatch)
Not doing a full rewatch but I figured I'd at least do the first episode to mark this 21st night of September. Still one of my favourite opening episodes in anime. Great introduction to the world and characters. Fantastic production by Satelight. Freyja is the best genki. Deculture!

Back