Your viewing journal

DECA-DENCE ep 12 (complete)
Final showdown. I don't know if they were references or not, but parts of this episode reminded me of other things. For example Kaburagi talking with the system reminded me of Neo and the Architect and the giant Gadoll reminded me of the giant weapon in Nausicaa.
An entertaining show with likeable characters. Had an interesting twist early on which caught many by surprise.
The battle scenes were well animated and the designs were quite different, both human and android especially, to other shows.
8/10

No Guns Life
s2 e12 (complete)
The monster I have to face.
More focused than the first season, but ultimately I don't really care anymore. Juzo seems to be an interesting person, but
they've not delved into his pre-war backstory at all. From reading the premise back when the first season aired I thought that's what we were going to get. "Huh, interesting. So he lost his memories when he was modified against his will (I'm sure that last bit was in the original premise, but MAL have rewritten it). Sure sounds like it'll be interesting to find out if he can get them back"
and it did seem at the end they were going that way (when Pepper told him about his partner's whereabouts), but it may not get a third season.
6/10

APPARE-RANMAN!
ep 13 (complete)
The final stretch.
Another show that didn't live up to its premise. Want sounded, and even initially seemed to be after meeting our wacky MC, like a race anime in which meet a load of wacky characters across America. But it stalled on the start line, finally set off, but then crashed fairly soon afterwards, before limping home.
Some of the characters were interesting and some were even a little wacky, but the racing part only filled about 5 episodes after spending 4 episodes introducing said characters and before meeting a generic outrageously OTT villain, who was easily defeated.
Some of the characters had good moments, but ultimately it was a little dull and actually the MC was more annoying than anything else.
6/10

Balance: UNLIMITED
ep 11 (complete)
Case closed.
Started off a bit dull with the rich dude swanning in and solving the case with money, but the next few cases were interesting/fun and the relationship was good to watch at points. Then it got all serious with the cold case, which had a bit of a WTH twist ending plus an out of nowhere funny moment right when the tension was highest!
7/10

A Certain Scientific Railgun T episode 25 (Complete. For me this has been the strongest Railgun season so far with some great storylines that made solid use of the world and it’s characters.) 4/5

APPARE-RANMAN!
episode 13 (Complete. I came into this series expecting it to focus on the various weekly racing hijinks that would surround the initial premise, but instead got a more character-driven narrative that worked fairly well for me overall.) 3.5/5

Fire Force Season 2
episode 37 Burning eye.

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! episode 12 (Complete. A decent comedy anime that worked best when showcasing the bond between the leads. I’ll likely watch season 2.) 3.5/5

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
OVAs 1-13 (Complete. 0083 was a mixed bag for me. The conflicts and skirmishes within the story were fairly solid but the story was let down in parts by the relatively bland leads, Kou and Nina, and their relationship. It felt undercooked, culminating in some frustrating actions on Nina’s part, especially during the final episode.

Some of the action was still good spectacle though, and there are elements of the series that entertained but this is one of the weaker Gundam series I’ve watched so far.) 3/5

A Certain Scientific Railgun T (English Dub) Episode 20

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! (English Dub) Episode 3

A Certain Scientific Railgun T Episode 25 (Complete. Another decent continuation with more of the same that also delves into more of the darker side of Academy city. Overall it was another solid season.) 3.5/5

Fire Force Season 2 Episode 37 Secret Connections.

Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fifth Plate Episode 13 (Complete. By far the weakest season of all thanks to what happened with the mangas ending. At the very least the food battles were enjoyable enough.) 2/5

Rent-A-Girlfriend Episode 12 (Complete. This was by far one of the more unusual anime's I've seen with it's unique story concept. The first half was pretty decent, on the other hand the second wasn't thanks to a certain individuals constant interfering. Overall it was alright but could have been better, I'm hopeful season 2 fares better.) 3/5

Super HxEros Episode 12 (Complete. A fun ecchi romp for a series that manages to push boundaries with it's ridiculously presented story concept.) 3.5/5

Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Episode 12 (Complete. Teasing shenanigans with a likeable cast of characters. The relationship banter between the two MC's was fun to watch. Overall this was my favourite anime of this season and hopefully season 2 can bring more of the same.) 3.5/5

Poco's Udon World 8/10
Really recommend this to fans of shows like Barakamon, Usagi Drop etc Made me tear up a few times.

It's on Crunchyroll

Just wondering have you seen Sweetness and Lightning? As that looked to be in a similar vein. Barakamon is one of my favourite shows! :)

I finished Chobits and I'm really glad I did, and a certain scene got me emotionally in a big way, it was also good food for thought. Now watching Amagi Brilliant Park :)

The Misfit of Demon King Academy (English Dub) Episode 4

Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time (Uncensored) Episode 12 (Complete. Solid fanservice fun that doesn't fail to disappoint despite the half episode runtime.) 3/5

The Misfit of Demon King Academy Episode 13 Mastermind and Transformation. (Complete. A solid fantasy series with a fun cast of characters that makes good use of it's concept idea. For me this has definitely stood out from others like it by trying something new and different. Overall this was worth the watch.) 4/5

Macross Delta [Rewatch]
With the franchise being such a legal mess outside Japan it's great that Bandai included English subtitles on this release. Mecha fights are awesome, romance is great and the soundtrack is boppin'. It's no Frontier but Delta's definitely a favourite of mine. Definitely looking forward to the second movie whenever it's released.

Last edited:
The Misfit of Demon King Academy episode 13 A solid finale. (Complete. A fun series that plays around with the cliches that would be associated with the storyline and provides a lot of humour whilst balancing it out with likeable characters.) 3.5/5

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
OVAs 1-7 (Complete. A follow-up to CCA that revolves around Laplace’s Box which is allegedly a means to turn the tide of war. Asides from the lead Banagher being a preachy whiner at times, and how antagonist Full Frontal is heavily modelled on Char Aznabal, something the series does address, this was a solid entry into the UC timeline.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
With Tales of Xillia 2 now sorted and out of the way, I'm hoping to try and finish off the remaining shows (except for Great Pretender because the second half isn't out on Netflix outside of Japan yet) before the end of the month.

The Misfit of Demon King Academy (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-9
Rent-A-Girlfriend (Japanese audio) - Episodes 7-9

AnimeEp.Notes
Great Pretender5 / 23Netflix
Only 1-14 are available
Japan Sinks 202010 / 10Netflix
Finished
The Misfit of Demon King Academy9 / 13Crunchyroll
Finished airing, 4 eps left to watch
Monster Girl Doctor6 / 12Crunchyroll
Finished airing, 6 eps left to watch
Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time4 / 12Crunchyroll
1 week delay for Great Philosopher's Version
Finished airing, 8 eps left to watch
Rent-A-Girlfriend9 / 12Crunchyroll
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 112 / 13Crunchyroll
On-going Simulcast
Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Part 211 / 11Crunchyroll
Finished
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!6 / 12Funimation

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 167 Recovering.

Monster Girl Doctor episode 12 Gifts. (Complete. A fun series that just about treaded the line between fanservicey antics and telling a decent story each week.) 3.5/5

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Operation Meteor
OVAs 1-4 (Complete. Recaps of the series that are more of a completionist reason to watch than anything else. I largely skimmed through these to remind myself of the ins and outs of Wing’s plot in preparation for Endless Waltz.) 3/5

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
OVAs 1-3/Movie (Complete. EW offers an aftermath to the events of the series with insights into what the leads have been up to before the universal peace is torn apart by a new threat who kidnaps Relena, setting off events that include betrayal and more political scheming. I thought this was a decent that capped off the Wing storyline pretty well.) 3.5/5

Monster Girl Doctor (English Dub) Episode 7

Monster Girl Doctor Episode 12 (Complete. A very solid fantasy about a human doctor who treats monster girls. This series makes excellent use of its scenario and how it presents it by going into detail describing each patients cause of ailment and treatment. For me, with it's really broad and likeable cast of characters this is definitely my anime of the season. I'm hopeful we can get another season of this soon.) 4/5

The God of High School Episode 13 A fighting finale. (Complete. A solid martial-arts based series that showcased some really impressive dynamic fights with its cast of characters and animation.) 4/5

Super HxEros (Blu-ray Uncensored) Episode 1

Monster Girl Doctor (Japanese audio) - Episodes 7-9
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! (Japanese audio) - Episodes 7-9

AnimeEp.Notes
Great Pretender5 / 23Netflix
Only 1-14 are available
Japan Sinks 202010 / 10Netflix
Finished
The Misfit of Demon King Academy9 / 13Crunchyroll
Finished airing, 4 eps left to watch
Monster Girl Doctor9 / 12Crunchyroll
Finished airing, 3 eps left to watch
Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time4 / 12Crunchyroll
1 week delay for Great Philosopher's Version
Finished airing, 8 eps left to watch
Rent-A-Girlfriend9 / 12Crunchyroll
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2 Part 112 / 13Crunchyroll
On-going Simulcast
Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Part 211 / 11Crunchyroll
Finished
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!9 / 12Funimation

The God of High School episode 13 Sealed. (Complete. A decent tournament/fight-centric anime series with likeable characters and some expansive and spectacle-filled fights. I’d be interested in watching where the story goes next.) 3.5/5

Mobile Suit Gundam 00
episodes 1-11

Last edited:
Blue Comet SPT Layzner - Episodes 13 - 21 (Blu-ray)

Episode 17 was a really standout episode as Eiji and co are hunted down by the terrifying Skull Gunners.

Mirai (Blu-ray)

As a father who's children have seemed to have grown up in a blink of an eye and watching my eldest grandson go through this with the arrival of his younger brother I found watching Mirai quite an emotional experience. It isn't perfect, the third quarter of the film is sluggish, but I thought it captured the feelings of parenting and role and lives of our family generations really well, it had an excellent first half and the final 15-20 minutes were incredibly poignant.

Monster Girl Doctor ep 12 (complete)
Feast for all.
A rather tame harem (zero fanservice and the only ecchi-ness was that in each episode a different girl would moan when the good doctor examined them) in which none of the girls particularly stood out, maybe monster girls aren't my thing.
6/10

Super HxEROs
eps 10-12 (complete)
Day out, fireworks and the end of the threat?
Was pretty fun, the story was certainly a different take on an alien invasion.
Definitely not tame, but even the "uncensored" version was censored. So if you like a trashy ecchi rom-com with sci-fi and harem elements (other girls try, but our MC only has eyes for one of them) maybe wait for a properly uncensored version.
7/10

Rent-A-Girlfriend
ep 12 (complete)
Confrontation.
I don't know what to say about this. There's a lot of similarities to Bunny-Girl with the characters all fairly realistic with lots of banter and some quite funny moments (and an OP by the peggies), but apart from Chizuhara the girls either don't have enough screentime (Sumi) or are annoying (an obsessive and a manipulative b***h). Also the male MC is a moronic jerk most of the time. The OST is weird as well.
6/10

Last edited:
Back