Your viewing journal

Music Girls ep 7
First half beach episode, second half dra...(oops I ran out of budget to finish that sentence 😔). It must be real tough being an idol if a photo of you with your brother threatens your career! I'm sure Hanako will fix it.

Harukana Recieve ep 7
The tropes are strong in this episode. Lonely idol wanting friends and after school club needing 1 more member to become official.

Hanebado! ep 8
So many people with so many hang ups. At least they started having fun after the first set.

Island ep 8
Twisty-turny. And it sort of makes sense, if you squint.

Black Butler (English dub) - Episodes 19-24 (Complete)
Black Butler: His Butler, On Stage (English dub) - OVA

Two cour shows:
  • Claymore
  • Gundam Reconguista in G
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • Outlaw Star
One cour shows:
  • Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
  • Lord Marksman and Vanadis
  • Love Live! Sunshine!! Season 1
  • Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
  • Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers-
  • Spice & Wolf Season 1
  • Spice & Wolf Season 2
Movies:
  • The Anthem of the Heart
  • Beyond the Boundary -I'll Be Here- Part 1
  • Beyond the Boundary -I'll Be Here- Part 2
  • The Case of Hana & Alice
  • Children Who Chase Lost Voices
  • Gurren Lagann the Movie: The Lights in the Sky are Stars
  • In This Corner of the World
  • Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin OVA 1
  • Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin OVA 2
  • Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin OVA 3
  • Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin OVA 4
  • Psychic School Wars
  • Sword Art Online Extra Edition

Gurren Lagann the Movie: The Lights in the Sky are Stars (Japanese audio) - Film

Finally got through the Gurren Lagann compilation films, they had been in my on-disc backlog since October 2014. I still don't like the ending of the franchise though (the final battle was great, it's the bit after that that bugs me).

Two cour shows:
  • Claymore
  • Outlaw Star
One cour shows:
  • Spice & Wolf Season 1
  • Spice & Wolf Season 2
Movies:
  • The Case of Hana & Alice
  • Psychic School Wars

Free! Dive to the Future episode 7 A lot of moping this week due to last episode's fallout. The latter part of the episode shifted into gear with the freestyle at least.

Rideback episodes 1-12 (Complete. A fun little series with mech motorcycles and a decent selection of characters. It's an anime that feels like it could have used more episodes to flesh itself out, but does alright with what it has.) 3.5/5

Angels of Death ep 7
Sometimes you can tell what type of adaption you're watching by what happens. This episode felt very gamey in parts.

Cells at Work ep 7
Interesting stuff. I didn't think the body itself was capable of defeating cancer. The probability is low as the cancer cells are made from the same DNA and thus the immune system doesn't react, but a new-ish treatment called immunotherapy attaches foreign cells to the cancer alerting the immune system.
Also interesting to learn why some of the facts I already knew come about like, feeling tired all the time because the cancer is ordering all the nutrients and laughter is good for you!

Planet With ep 7
Backstory and setting up the next conflict.

Drifters (Re-watch) episodes 9-12 - Complete. While this series does have it's issues with it's pacing that really isn't enough to stop this from being one of my favourite isekai series. The soundtrack, art direction and characters made this show worth the watch. Time for the OVAs next. 8/10

Hanebado! episodes 5-8 - While the drama does come pretty heavy at times this is still a pretty decent series with great animation and characters. Demon Ayano was an unexpected but pretty cool development

Happy Sugar Life episode 6 - I may just put this on-hold for now and go for the manga. May finish this at the end of the season when I have time.

Revue Starlight episodes 5-6 - Re-watched ep 5 since they added the song lyrics.

Pastel Life episodes 4-6 - Complete. A short series that's fun if you're familiar with the characters. 7/10

BanG Dream! Girls Band Party!☆PICO episode 8 - Seeing as this was a cross-band episode focusing on the drummers it would be fun to see if they continue this format with other members in the following episodes.

Chio's School Road (English Dub) Episode 5

Hanebado! (English Dub) Episode 5

Harukana Receive (English Dub) Episode 5

On disc backlog
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1st Gig (English Dub) Episode 1 - 7
Having recently picked this up on blu-ray and with my cousins staying who like their futuristic sci-fi shows, I decided to return to my anime origins and decided to introduce them to this (to my surprise they had never seen) in the end it turned into a viewing party. By the end of the night they seem to of thoroughly enjoyed what they saw from what I could tell.

Only Yesterday (dub)
The next Ghiblicast is up.
Although I said I would watch all these subbed, the dub hasn't been out that long and I've seen the sub so many times. Definitely agree with the podcast that the dub doesn't work as well dispite it being good, although it is weird hearing Daisy Ridley doing an American accent whilst Dev Patel does an English one! It would be OK if all the countryside people were English accented, but they're not.
Still love the film though and I still can't put my finger on why. Perhaps because Taekos nostalgia is done really well and the subtle romance.
10/10

Steins;Gate 0 ep 16
Great episode. Powerful stuff.

Attack on Titan s3 e5
Another great episode.

Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion ep 7
Some more interesting tactics. And it seems to have taken a bit of a swerve into alternate history now.

Last edited:
The Case of Hana & Alice (Japanese audio) - Film
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (Japanese audio) - Episodes 1-6

The Case of Hana & Alice is a surprisingly enjoyable film, it does have some flaws here and there (animation can drop in quality at some places, and the story has some pacing issues here and there) but overall it's worth checking out.

Nozaki-kun is just great fun.

Two cour shows:
  • Claymore
  • Outlaw Star
One cour shows:
  • Spice & Wolf Season 1
  • Spice & Wolf Season 2
Movies:
  • Psychic School Wars

Back Street Girls episode 8 Further filming of the Gokudolls leads to humorous situations.

Banana Fish episode 8 The traitor is revealed and that family visit from earlier bites everyone in the rear.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations episode 70 The second in several side-character orientated arcs. Apparently Mitsuki has one soon so I'll push on through this okay-ness.

Rokka: Brave of the Six Flowers episodes 1-12 (Complete. A fantasy-themed mystery series? It's a great concept though the execution here is a set-up in need of further seasons in order to explain and expand upon what was established. I enjoyed the narrative and guessing what would happen next, but the "read the LN" implications within the ending didn't please me much.

I also found everyone's quick accusation of Adlet and subsequent actions a bit haphazard at times. It did make it hard to like or relate to most of them.

After finishing this I decided to locate summaries of said LN volumes and hoo boy it would make for an interesting set of seasons, especially developing these characters beyond one-track mindedness so I hope we see it eventually.) 3.5/5

Last edited:
How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord (English Dub) Episode 5 (Uncensored)

How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord (Sub) Episode 8 (Uncensored)
Really good episode. Both fight scenes were really intense especially the fight between Diablo and Chester, at least Keera go what was coming to him. The final scene between Sylvie and Diablo was pretty funny, at least he got his reward of "Reaching the Promised Land".😉

Seven Senses of the Re'Union (Sub) Episode 8

Kill La Kill (sub) eps 1-4
Thought I'd give this a watch as its leaving Netflix soon (although will probably be back within months).
I have to say it's absolutely bonkers, even more so than Gurren Lagann. The only problem I have is with the subtitles and the background blending a lot, but Netflix don't have the dub so I'll have to put up with it.

Banana Fish (Japanese audio) - Episodes 6-8
Harukana Receive (Japanese audio) - Episode 8
How Not to Summon a Demon Lord (Japanese audio) - Episode 8

Back