Your Top Ten: How Many Do You Own?

Aion

Time-Traveller
Out of curiosity, I want to know: What are your top ten titles and, more importantly, how many of them do you own on DVD?

Due to me having hunted for some pretty profile images awhile back, I'm going to C&P my top ten part of my MAL profile. :D

-------

[1] Gankutsuou
gankutsuouanime1.jpg

I hunted for the whole series; way before the re-release. I got bits and pieces from everywhere--eBay (I got lucky!), DVDPacific, SecondSpin...

It cost a lot, but it was worth it!

[2] Death Note
deathnoteanime.jpg

I recently completed my R2 'singles' (five releases) after The Hut *FINALLY* became the first store to drop their prices. I wish I'd waited for the box set, with its nine thinpack cases and cheap price, though... :/

[3] Code Geass
codegeassanime3.jpg

I got the first two R1 sets together on eBay for £20, and I then paid around £20 for the final set new. I plan on re-watching the series when/if I get R2.

[4] Berserk
berserkanime1.jpg

As soon as I saw PlayUSA selling the 'remastered' set for £18, my pre-order was in. A great deal for a wonderful anime!

[5] Macross Zero
macrosszero1.jpg

I got REALLY lucky with Zero: some guy listed his five mint Japanese volumes on eBay, and I got them for £9. I was very happy since there's little chance it'll get released in English, though it is a bummer that there aren't any Engrish subs on the DVDs...

[6] Now and Then, Here and There
011wp.jpg

I won a sealed, full-sized (not the re-release) set on eBay for under £10 because the seller listed it wrong. :D

[7] Gungrave
033f.jpg

The R1 thinpack was one of my first anime purchases. I over-paid - spending something like £50 - AND got stung for about £20 by customs. I was under the impression DVD Pacific marked down packages after they had done so previously, but...

[8] Welcome to the NHK
044fa.jpg

This is the only title in my top ten I'm yet to complete. I own volumes 1, 2 & 4, and I should soon own the third volume. I got the first volume for free and the others for $3.19 each.

[9] Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
022pu.jpg

One of my early anime purchases was the R2 'Samurai X' box set. All the Kenshin OVA releases are included.

[10] Claymore
claymoremanga1.jpg

I pre-ordered all three Manga R2 releases in order to support their then new double-disc releases.

(Long story short: I own 9/10 in full.)

...So, yeah, what about you?

1. Full Metal Panic - I own all 3 seasons as single volumes but TSR is R1 and first season & Fumoffu are R2.

2. Slayers - Unfortunately, no. I have seen a good deal on UP1 for the R1 of the first 3 seasons which I intend to buy when I have money.

3. Chobits - As with FMP, it's all singles and it's R2.

4. GitS Stand Alone Complex - Own both 1st and 2nd Gig R2 thinpak boxsets.

5. Perfect Blue - Another I don't have due to Play.com mucking me about.

6. Devilman Lady - Got the R1 boxset. It makes me smile to look at it.

7. Martion Successor Nadesico - Got the R1 thinpak boxset for this. It's suh-weet.

8. Aquarian Age - Got this as soon as it was released in R2 and the 3 discs came in a case the size of a normal DVD volume. Result!

9. Berserk - Got each single volume of the R2 release. My first copy of volume 1 had a messed up menu but the episodes play fine.

10. Witchblade - Still waiting on a R2 boxset.

So 7/10 owned for me.

I last did a top ten list about this time last year, so I'll use that (despite some having dropped off it and new ones taking their place)

1. Hayate the Combat Butler - I own all US DVDs released, all US Manga released, the JP OVA on Blu-ray, several Tshirts, a figure, some phone charms, posters, and a previous year had the calendar.

2. Angelic Layer - I own the UK DVDs for this one, with vol2 signed by Monica Rial - voice of Tamayo.

3. Aria - I own all of the DVDs that have been released in the US, along with an Orange Planet Tshirt.

4. Shugo Chara - I own all US released manga.

5. Clannad - I own all four US DVD sets (including After Story)

6. Cardcaptor Sakura - I own the two sub-only collections, plus the two movies. I also have four CCS figures, not including the CLAMP chess set from Clamp no Kiseki.

7. Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - I own both US released series, plus four figurines and a handful of posters.

8. Kanon - I own the US DVDs (the singles plus artbox)

9. Hidamari Sketch - I own the US DVD for the first series, and have the second preordered.

10. My-HiME/My-Otome - I own the UK DVDs of Hime, and the US for Otome and Otome Zwei.

9/10 for me, and the one I don't own isn't released.

In no particular order:

1. Utena - I own it all (R1). Would upgrade to blu-ray in a heartbeat.

2. Sailor Moon - I own all that was released in R1 on DVD. Am going to finally snap and buy Stars as R2J this summer in the hope that the news of the upcoming sets will lower the used prices on the singles. I've seen it all on VHS but need to finish it on DVD. Of course I'm missing one episode and the specials which didn't make it to R1 as well, but not sure I care that much.

3. Slayers: I have everything from R1 with Revolution on preorder (Evolution-R will be preordered when it's listed). Tempted to upgrade my terrible old DVDs to the Funi ones.

4. Twelve Kingdoms: I have the R1 economy sets. If I'd know in advance how great this series would be, I'd have bought the singles.

5. Satoshi Kon movies: I have all of these and seem to be in a permanent cycle of upgrading them even since the VHS days (currently moving up to blu-ray for them). They're worth it though and make great hand me down presents.

6. Gankutsuou: Bought the lovely Geneon artbox set when it came out. It was expensive. It still looks awesome.

7. Hare/Guu: I have all the singles. Except they cancelled it before the final OAVs came out because nobody bought it, so I have never seen those.

8. Fruits Basket: I have the four original Funimation singles.

9. Now and Then, Here and There: I have the original singles, which I think means I missed out on the special disc with the set. Grumble grumble.

10. FLCL: I have all the R2J DVDs and volume 1 of the UK release too (for showing friends as volume 1 of the R2Js had no subs, not that it matters greatly with this show).

R

1. Ghost Hunt - Own R2 half season sets from Manga

2. Welcome To The NHK - Do not own as I rather not collect R1

3. Samurai Champloo - Own the R2 box set from MVM

4. FMP (all 3 series) - Own Series 1 and Fumoffu on R2 but not TSR

5. Cowboy Bebop - Own the Remix box set from Beez

6. Planetes - Own the half season box sets from Beez

7. Last Exile - Own the ADV box set

8. Ah! My Goddess - Own the box set from MVM

9. Satoshi Kon Films - Own all to date

10. Elemental Gelade - Own the box set from MVM

So 9/10 for me

Hmm. This may not go well.

Dominion Tank Police – I have the whole thing on VHS, but I've been putting off acquiring the DVDs as I wasn't sure which audio tracks were on them. I have, however, been reliably informed that both dub and sub tracks are present on the R2 release so acts 1-4 are high on my 'to buy' list.

City Hunter – I have the first series on the R1 ADV half-season sets. I'm not sure if ADV actually covered the entire thing on DVD or not, but most of the sets seem to be pretty cheap now so I'll get round to the rest sooner or later.

Castle of Cagliostro – I have the old VHS and recently got the R2 dvd as well. Again, I put off buying the DVD simply because I wasn't sure which version of the dub was on it, but happily it's the same as the VHS. They've even restored the proper opening credit sequence, which is nice.

Space Adventure Cobra – Alas no. The TV series has never had an official English release and I don't see it getting one any time soon. There is a very nice Japanese boxset which includes the English-dubbed pilot episode and comes with a little model psychogun, but I think it's pretty expensive now.

Galaxy Express 999 – Funi have the US rights for streaming distribution, but it was region locked last time I checked and, again, there've never been official DVDs in English.

Patlabor – I have the first two movies on VHS and I'm eyeing up the R1 DVDs for the TV series. The box art is horrendous though...

Genshiken – I have the R1 box set of season 1, but I don't think there's a box for season 2 yet.

Genesis Climber Mospeada – Nope. ADV did a decent enough R1 box which I'll pick up sooner or later but, as with City Hunter, it annoys me that they used 'clean' opening and closing sequences with English credits subbed over the top. It's not the end of the world, but I would have liked to have the original credits as an option.

Bubblegum Crisis – I have an incomplete set of VHS singles, still not gotten round to picking up the DVDs.

The Big-O – Sadly not. The R1 discs seem pretty expensive now.

Fourish out of ten.

This appears to be a capital way for us to compare and contrast our tastes.

1. Metropolis — Imported the pricey R2 Japanese version. (English editions lacked the epilogue image at the end of the credits, so I'm told.) Admittedly, my initial naiveness resulted in me purchasing a bootleg. I soon rectified this however.

2. Voices of a Distant Star — Purchased the R2 Shinkai collection. Due to its comparative recentness, such a release did not include 5cm/s. And so:

3. Five Centimetres per Second — Imported one of the last R1 copies available from Otaku. In light of its subsequent rarity, I'm quite pleased with such good fortune.

4. Kanon — Imported the R1 Funimation thinpak, which took quite a while to arrive.

5. Elfen Lied — Purchased the R2 Thinpak.

6. The Place Promised in our Early Days — Part of the aforementioned R2 collection.

7. SaiKano — Purchased the R2 boxset from a high-street outlet (a rarity for me.)

8. Akira — Received the two-disc R2 release as a gift.

9. Key the Metal Idol — Imported the single R1 volumes from various Amazon Marketplace sellers. One of them was second-hand.

10. Air — Imported the R2 Funimation thinpak along with Kanon. (It was the first to arrive out of the two.)

Professor Irony said:
I have, however, been reliably informed that both dub and sub tracks are present on the R2 release so acts 1-4 are high on my 'to buy' list.
The R2 volumes of Dominon Tank Police I purchased are dub only. They bear the 'Animazing' logo. Though I have yet to confirm this myself, sources suggest that R1 release was dual-audio.
Both have been out of print for quite some time.

Ahh damn.

1. Clannad after story.
2. Clannad
3. Kanon (2006)
4. Air
5. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya <just ordered.
6. Higurashi no Naku koro ni
7. Bakemonogatari
8. Death Note
9. Code Geass
10. Lucky Star

1 / 10. Physical copies that is.

Once Clannad is released in the UK i will buy both series, same for Kanon and Air and... well all of them.

Virtual copies acquired through dubious means? (10/10)

Full on series-wise (In a rough order and with some equals omitted):

Yu Yu Hakusho - Bought the 2 disk sets, I then proceeded to sell them to my brother and started getting the newst releases. I have only got 2/4 of them so far, though.

Dragonball Z - Own all of the "Orange Bricks".

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - ADV R1 Original thinpack.

Bleach - Just the first series, R2.

Full Metal Panic - Original ADV R1 thinpack.

Tennchi Muyo GXP - Viridian Collection R1, although I might get the full boxset R1, as this thing is FLIMSY.

DearS - All four R1 volumes with collection box, snapped this up as soon as I heard Geneon were going down.

Ouran High School Host Club - Not as of yet. This one is of much annoyance for me as I would like to get an R2 boxset when one is enevitably released, unfortunately the R2 releases thus far do not include on-screen text subtitles. The American Blu-Ray wont play in my PS3...so I am biding my time on the matter.

Desert Punk - Waiting on a R2 release, must then check for on-screen text subs, as I do with all of Mangas releases now.

Digimon/S2 - I have the recent R2 set of the first 20-odd episodes that was released last year or so. I am constantly tempted by the rather good looking R1 bootleg sets aswell. But I know if I get them, Disney will finally get around to releasing them officially. >.>

Woe is me....

Let's just use the top 10 from my profile otherwise I'll never get around to this, since there are so many other series that could really make my top 10:

1 Dragon Ball Z - all the US DVDs up until Funi started going nuts. Now buying the Dragon Box sets and will buy Kai. Own all the Japanese manga.

2 Gankutsuou - R1 artbox + singles, bought as they were released.

3 The Place Promised in Our Early Days - R2J DVD, R1 DVD, Japanese BD.

4 Mobile Suit Gundam - R1 movie set.

5 Genshiken - R1 season one artbox + singles, and the R2J season two artboxes + singles, and the R2J OVA DVD. Own all the Japanese manga.

6 Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Own all the R1 singles + LEs where appropriate, both seasons.

7 Neon Genesis Evangelion - R1 brick of some sort, R1 Platinum release artbox + singles, R2UK movies. R2J 1.01 DVD, Japanese 1.11 BD.

8 Paranoia Agent - R1 artbox + singles, as they were released.

9 Card Captor Sakura - The two boxset sub-only R1 release, R1 Movies. Did own the Japanese hardcover edition manga, went missing in a box of stuff I had shipped from Japan a couple of years ago that was lost somewhere.

10 Mai-HiME - R2J DVD singles for HiME, Otome, Otome Zwei, S-ifr, Japanese BDs that have been released so far lined up in an order, all the Japanese manga variations.

1. Mai-Hime (for the 4th year running)
2. Card Captor Sakura (New Entry)
3. Gundam 00
4. Code Geass
5. Full Metal Panic
6. Tenchi Muyo
7. Lucky Star
8. Utawarerumono
9. Lucky Star
10. K-on

Haruhi dropped out thanks to the good ol endless 8

and Naruto and bleach fillers are annoying me to much

1. 5 Centimeters Per Second - I own the Japanese special edition box.

2. Ghost in the Shell - I own the films and series on DVD. Making a selection on which is my favourite would be difficult though.

3. Spirited Away - Studio Ghibli Collection edition.

From here on, the ranking gets a little hazy.

Mushishi - Own all the UK singles in the 'Starter Set' artbox.

She And Her Cat / Tooi Sekai - Two of Shinkai's early short animations. She And Her Cat is an extra on the Shinkai Collection. Unfortunately I don't think the latter has ever been properly released.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - The two original OVAs are available in the original japanese; but they're very expensive. Hopefully one day I'll get round to purchasing them.

Fullmetal Alchemist - Have all the UK singles.

Voices of a Distant Star - Shinkai Collection.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days - Shinkai Collection.

Diary of Tortov Roddle - Just snuck onto the list. And the second one which I don't own. Hopefully I'll be able to track down an R2 copy, if it were even released on DVD.

Zin5ki said:
The R2 volumes of Dominon Tank Police I purchased are dub only. They bear the 'Animazing' logo. Though I have yet to confirm this myself, sources suggest that R1 release was dual-audio.
Both have been out of print for quite some time.

Ah, you've just saved me some trouble in that case, as the ones I was intending to buy do have the "animazing" logo on the back. According to amazon, the earlier R2 release is a dual audio disc, but the cover image is exactly the same as the later one, so I'm not entirely convinced.

An Amazon marketplace seller is, however, listing the R1 disc at the moment which does say "dual language" on the front, so I'll probably opt for that instead. It does appear to be a relatively early DVD though, so I just hope 'dual language' wasn't a fancy way of saying 'Japanese with English subtitles'.

Rui said:
3. Slayers: I have everything from R1 with Revolution on preorder (Evolution-R will be preordered when it's listed). Tempted to upgrade my terrible old DVDs to the Funi ones.
How much improved are the new boxsets?

1. Death Note - Bought the region 2 boxset on release last year.

2. One Piece - I've got the first four boxsets on region 1 DVD, but it will be awhile before I watch them as the fansubs are so far ahead.

3. Love Hina - Bought the region 1 volumes and the boxset of the specials. Volumes 1-3 I bought in 2002 and the remaining volumes in 2006. XD

4. Ranma 1/2 - Bought the first set in 2002, and all the remaining boxsets to celebrate escaping from a scary monster (an ex gf).

5. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1st/2nd Gig - Bought every volume in special edition with all the extra CDs, figures, etc, making it the most expensive series per episode in this top ten.

6. Naruto - I've got all the special edition boxsets up as far as Shippuden, which I received the first boxset of the other week.

7. Dragonball Z - Full set of boxsets on my shelf. Full set of GT. Dragonball in progress, pre-ordering them as they are released.

8. Gundam Wing - Both region 1 boxsets sit cosily on my shelf.

9. Slayers - Got the old region 1 boxsets back in 2002. Tempted to upgrade, but 'd have to know they the new ones were noticeably better to consider it.

10. Amaenaideyo - Previously I thought it had not been released outside of Japan, but upon googling it to check I had spelt the name cofrrectly, I found out it is now released as Ah My Buddha. Going to go look it up on DVDPacific now.

9/10, but soon to be 10/10

Professor Irony: I have the US Manga Corps (?) versions of both, R1, and both series are dual language I'm pretty sure. I'll check for you later if you are still in doubt :)

Mutsumi said:
Rui said:
How much improved are the new boxsets?

I believe they have improved video/audio quality as well as actual chapter stops (rather than the old school 1-2 per episode) and the restored missing scene from season one which is missing on my original DVDs. Some of the later pressings of the original series had this restored in the extras IIRC. Mine does not.

I semi-recently popped in my old Next discs to rip the opening and ending animations for my iPhone and the video quality was very poor by today's DVD standards. Slayers was never the most beautiful show of all with its charmingly budget-looking animation but the primitive DVDs at the time really didn't help. Perhaps I'll upgrade at Christmas this year for a treat after checking out some comparison shots.

R

Kurau Phantom Memory - The four R2 singles which were released. Will probably buy the final two R1 volumes, but the difference in cover art is annoying (and the R2 covers are much better)

Haibane Renmei - Full size R2 boxed set.

Patlabor - Proud to say I own it all. Both OVA sets and all three TV boxes in R1, the big special edition R2 boxes of films 1 & 2 and the WXIII R1 special edition.

Ghost In The Shell
- Original film on R2 DVD, Innocence & 2.0 on UK BD. Both TV series' on R2 DVD in the metal boxes, SSS in the HMV exclusive steelbook.

Bubblegum Crisis
- Ah, no. I want it, but I want it subbed on BD. Buying the DVDs now would feel a bit redundant.

Urusei Yatsura - I started and gave up. The pound failed and shortly thereafter I rid myself of the few single volumes I'd collected. I have all the films and OVAs on R2 though, and would love nothing more than for the TV series to be collected into much easier and cheaper to collect boxed sets.

Kino's Journey - R2 singles.

Evangelion - Original R2 tin (the one with a digipack inside instead of thinpacks).

Planetes - R1 Anime Legends collection. At the time, the price difference between R1 and R2 was far too wide for me to consider the UK releases.

Dirty Pair - Everything which has been released with subs on R1 DVD, which is to say the film and OVA sets. I still live in vain hope that the TV series will be released one day.

Rui said:
Professor Irony: I have the US Manga Corps (?) versions of both, R1, and both series are dual language I'm pretty sure. I'll check for you later if you are still in doubt :)

Ah, that would be most awesome of you, thanks very much. According to amazon there were two releases of the original Dominion and I'm not sure if there's any difference between the earlier and the later edition aside from the box art, but it's this one I've ordered anyway:

fotos+213.jpg

What I'm really trying to check is if the disc has both the Japanese language track with the original music and the dub with the replacement music. Being the obsessive nut I am, ideally I'd like to have both for the sake of comparison.

ayase said:
Dirty Pair - I still live in vain hope that the TV series will be released one day.

You and me both, brother.

Black Jack (2004 series) download

Rescue Wings - download

Coyote Ragtime Show - R2 dvd

Black Jack (movie) - R2 dvd

Cowboy Bebop - stored on Sky planner since Anime Central days

GITS SAC 1st & 2nd - stored on Sky planner since Anime Central days

Metropolis - R2 dvd

Kaiji Ultimate Survivor - download

Sky Blue -R2 dvd

Time of Eve - streaming

So own 4/10. Just ordered Trigun& Samurai 7 box sets together for 33 quid off a Play.com market seller. Reckon they are legit?? Would Play likely be associated with bootleggers, or I suppose they wouldn't know?

Back