Your largest collection of one specific series

Aion said:
There are pleny of former Narutards (myself included) who feel that way. Back when the first anime reached the Valley of the End fight, I thought of Naruto as one of the best creations in existence. I loved watching it weekly and it reached its peak with the Naruto vs. Sasuke showdown that ended the first half of the story.

...then the two year filler hell kicked in. And when the anime did resume the proper story, the studio did a **** job of adapting a story on the way down. It just wasn't the same - neither the quality of the production or the story were at the same level as before. I quickly tired of the anime and dropped. I did follow the manga for a lengthy period but, after the showdown of the brothers turning out to be a bit anti-climatic, I lost interest.

I'd never sell my manga collection, though, and I do plan on buying the series in full. The only reason is tempts me to get rid of my Naruto box set is because the velcro hell I've endured since owning it.

It's the same sort of story with Bleach - it was excellent to watch weekly until it entered filler hell, and when the anime resumed the proper story it just wasn't the same anymore. It seems to be downhill from the SS arc.
Filler was the reason I stopped watching the anime of both Naruto and Bleach (though I admit, I did enjoy the Bount arc). Even after it resumed the proper story it was just poor and the episodes were clearly padded out with little development.

After playing catch-up with manga, I did follow it for a quite a while though I havn't bothered since, probably, not long after the start of this year.

Oh and on the subject of velcro hell; I've got the original wooden box which, fortunately, arrived to me undamaged. It'd be nice if not for the fact it's the first thing anyone notices when they see my collection as it stands out ridiculously.

Bleach - 20 volumes
FMA - 14 volumes

Haven't bought any of either in like two years. Don't even want to own Bleach anymore, **** sucks. Someone can have it, FOR FREE.

I imagine mine is Ranma 1/2, not least because I have all 38 volumes in Japanese and my husband has all the English volumes. Even without the duplication/cheating it's probably a frontrunner.

We also have 35 volumes of Inu Yasha and a lot of the usual long running Shounen Jump series. Lately I've just been collecting shorter stuff though (well, once Hana Yori Dango is over in English this year - a runner up at what will be 37 books).

R

ilmaestro said:
Thread also reminds me that I need to buy the Ippo manga.

It would be scary to own all of that, imagine the one long line on your bookcase. Same with Jojo's bizarre adventures.

What is the longest running manga of all time? I never actually went out my way to check. I get the feeling it is Jojo, but i remember my japanese professor telling me of a story that ran at east thirty years starting with a young girl becoming a grandmother and going every step of the way.

Kochikame is the longest as far as I know, with something stupid like 150+ volumes. And, I'm with Maltos and Aion with Naruto at 27 volumes. I don't intend to buy anymore, ever, though. I probably wouldn't even owned all of it if I didn't get the boxset. I would like to own all of Dragonball, though, if it ever does get release I'm happy with.

Yeah, I just looked it up and it's 160 volumes long, and is indeed the longest manga. That's... insane.
Not sure about longest running, though.

The longest running "regular" serialized manga is KochiKame, afaik. Something like Sazae-san may be longer running, but I would separate that the same way I separate Charlie Brown from Batman.

edit: lol, thought the last post on the previous page was the most recent post in the thread, apologies.

Sazazezer Mililipilipi said:
ilmaestro said:
Thread also reminds me that I need to buy the Ippo manga.

It would be scary to own all of that, imagine the one long line on your bookcase. Same with Jojo's bizarre adventures.

What is the longest running manga of all time? I never actually went out my way to check. I get the feeling it is Jojo, but i remember my japanese professor telling me of a story that ran at east thirty years starting with a young girl becoming a grandmother and going every step of the way.
And all that in real-time! I can't remember the name of that series for the life of me, but if memory serves me well, It's an absurdly japanese series. By that I mean, it's really difficult to follow if you're not really familiar with japanese culture and it's evolution in the last few decades.

Kochikame : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kochira_Ka ... Hashutsujo

Edited - didn't realized that as well and now that I've seen Ilmaestro mention of Sazae-san, I think that's the name of the manga.

Sazae-san is probably the longest anime, the manga used to be a 4koma or something so I doubt it even matches up to like One Piece or Detective Conan.

ilmaestro said:
Well, reading kana I'll agree with you, if you put your mind to it you can get it done very quickly. If you can learn the jouyou kanji perfectly in three months of general study I would say that was unusual. Especially if you could write them all perfectly as well. The more you limit what you consider to be "learning Japanese" then obviously the shorter time it would take. Not a lot of good being able to read the individual characters if you don't know the words they're in or the grammar surrounding them, though. So I stand by my comparison that learning the rules of chess and how the game is fundamentally played is a lot different from actually learning how to play chess.

The basic point I was trying to make is that learning Japanese is not as difficult as everyone expects it is. I didn't learn all the jouyou kanji in 3 months, but I learned about 50 or so which gives you a good feel for the characters and the general way in which they are drawn. Kana is pretty easy to learn, too.

o_O everyone has a hugeee collection!
to be honest my largest collection of one specific series would have to be pokemon xD - a lot of it from when i was younger, but i still love it.
i tend not to collect anime & manga as i can just watch / read it online, bahaha i'm a cheapskate >.<!

cozmosis said:
o_O everyone has a hugeee collection!
to be honest my largest collection of one specific series would have to be pokemon xD - a lot of it from when i was younger, but i still love it.
i tend not to collect anime & manga as i can just watch / read it online, bahaha i'm a cheapskate >.<!

Grrrrrrr :evil:

Back