Your largest collection of one specific series

Sazazezer Mililipilipi

Completely Average High School Student
ooh, my first topic. Time for a pretentious effort of making my ego feel big through demonstrating my large collection of silly little comic books.

What's your largest collection of one particular volume of manga (can include reduxes of the series i/e Shaolin Sisters) and what made you collect that series for so long?

For me, it's Samurai Deeper Kyo, currently standing at 33 volumes and counting. sometimes i just don't get how this series doesn't have the fame of others like Naruto and Bleach. I'm hooked to the characters whenever i read it. the set of main characters has grown so big it's amazing to see them all fit in seamlessly. The fights are always wicked, even if they are all sword based.

Negima stands a close second at 25 volumes. Hilarious with good strong characters.

I've got Fullmetal Alchemist V.1-V.18.
I love the storyline and it has a way of making you care about the characters.
200+ days until V.19...

Good question :]

My longest series is probably Case Closed (Detective Conan) at about 13 volumes, which is paltry I know! :/ I have all 10 volumes of the Eva manga, too, which constitutes my second largest collection :]

Longest for me at the moment is Bleach at 23 vols then Shaman King coming in at 17 vols, i should really get more of both but you know :p Most other manga series i have are thankfully much shorter series...well they are currently

Urusei Yatsura @ 34 volumes. All in Japanese.

I beat you in the sad git contest Tasker. :p

However, I lose hard at English language Manga. That would be Yotsuba at, er... 5 volumes.

CitizenGeek said:
You're fluent in Japanese, ayase? :O
Far from it. I'm progressing well with the spoken language but hardly know any of the written language at all. But I do intend to learn and besides, it's nice to have all the artwork. ;)

ayase said:
CitizenGeek said:
Far from it. I'm progressing well with the spoken language but hardly know any of the written language at all. But I do intend to learn and besides, it's nice to have all the artwork. ;)

So ... you paid for 34 volumes of manga you can't read? :O

Japanese isn't so hard to read and write, to be honest. I more or less had it after about 3 months in college - it's just a case of vocab building and grammar enlightening after that :]

After three months? Sheesh. I studied at uni for three months, dropped out after losing it over relative clauses and spent the past three years trying to pick up the pieces afterwrads. Now i'd say i'm okay and passably fluent but i still find myself shying away from japanese manga because i feel it ruins how comfortable one is with the story when you're translating as you go.

CitizenGeek said:
ayase said:
CitizenGeek said:

So ... you paid for 34 volumes of manga you can't read? :O

Japanese isn't so hard to read and write, to be honest. I more or less had it after about 3 months in college - it's just a case of vocab building and grammar enlightening after that :]
Nice to see that I'm constantly surprising you there. Nothing to :O about in this post though. :p

I'm holding off learning the written language because I'm just learning the spoken language with the Pimsleur System at the moment. Doing it this way round makes a lot more sense, to me at least. Once you know what the sounds mean, if you learn what sounds the characters make, then you know what the written words mean (I'm imagining this will be harder for kanji though). I've even taught myself a few characters just by looking at the mangas because I know some of the common phrases and names.

Rurouni Kenshin 26 volumes
Oh! My Goddess 21 volumes
Ranma 1/2 20 volumes
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles 19 volumes
Negima 16 volumes
Blade of the Immortal 15 volumes
Love Hina 14 volumes

I have not included Gunsmith Cats/Gunsmith Cats Burst & Battle Angel Alita/Battle Angel Alita:Last Order. I count both as being 2 series.

CitizenGeek said:
So, learning the language is dead easy, it's just the words and how they're used that you have to work on?

/learns chess

/only needs to work on openings, pawn structures and end game

Dead easy this chess lark!

edit: as to the topic at hand, I have 53 volumes of One Piece. I keep meaning to buy JoJo's, which would trump it for at least a while, but I never get around to it.

Sadly (in my opinion, anyway), Naruto. 27 volumes. I don't intend to collect anymore of them as it takes me just up to the timeskip and the part of the story conviniently that rounded off the stage in my life when I thought Naruto was awesome. I would be inclined to sell them, were it not for the fantastic nostalgia I get from flicking through a randomly selected volume.

Similar situation with Bleach, actually; being 20 volumes and my second largest. Up to the end of the Soul Society ark and once again it acts as a lovely collection of nostalgia back to when I first got into anime and manga.

I think it'll be a while untill either of them are beaten. On the, of late, rare occaision when I do buy manga, i've been focusing a lot on the shorter series.

ilmaestro said:
CitizenGeek said:
So, learning the language is dead easy, it's just the words and how they're used that you have to work on?

/learns chess

/only needs to work on openings, pawn structures and end game

Dead easy this chess lark!

I was talking about writing (and by extension, reading) Japanese. I even said that in the quote you used in your snide reply. I was obviously talking about the kana and kanji, which only took me a few months to get to grips with.

Well, reading kana I'll agree with you, if you put your mind to it you can get it done very quickly. If you can learn the jouyou kanji perfectly in three months of general study I would say that was unusual. Especially if you could write them all perfectly as well. The more you limit what you consider to be "learning Japanese" then obviously the shorter time it would take. Not a lot of good being able to read the individual characters if you don't know the words they're in or the grammar surrounding them, though. So I stand by my comparison that learning the rules of chess and how the game is fundamentally played is a lot different from actually learning how to play chess.

Maltos said:
Sadly (in my opinion, anyway), Naruto. 27 volumes. I don't intend to collect anymore of them as it takes me just up to the timeskip and the part of the story conviniently that rounded off the stage in my life when I thought Naruto was awesome. I would be inclined to sell them, were it not for the fantastic nostalgia I get from flicking through a randomly selected volume.

Similar situation with Bleach, actually; being 20 volumes and my second largest. Up to the end of the Soul Society ark and once again it acts as a lovely collection of nostalgia back to when I first got into anime and manga.

There are pleny of former Narutards (myself included) who feel that way. Back when the first anime reached the Valley of the End fight, I thought of Naruto as one of the best creations in existence. I loved watching it weekly and it reached its peak with the Naruto vs. Sasuke showdown that ended the first half of the story.

...then the two year filler hell kicked in. And when the anime did resume the proper story, the studio did a **** job of adapting a story on the way down. It just wasn't the same - neither the quality of the production or the story were at the same level as before. I quickly tired of the anime and dropped. I did follow the manga for a lengthy period but, after the showdown of the brothers turning out to be a bit anti-climatic, I lost interest.

I'd never sell my manga collection, though, and I do plan on buying the series in full. The only reason is tempts me to get rid of my Naruto box set is because the velcro hell I've endured since owning it.

It's the same sort of story with Bleach - it was excellent to watch weekly until it entered filler hell, and when the anime resumed the proper story it just wasn't the same anymore. It seems to be downhill from the SS arc.

Back