Your controversial anime opinions.

I'll throw one in just for now.

Psycho Pass is not good, it's not a look at some dark brilliant dystopian future with some deep meaningful questions about morality and the psyche as recommended, it's a show that thinks it's a look at some dark brilliant dystopian future with some deep meaningful questions about morality and the psyche. Just because you throw around names of philosophers and/or literature excerpts doesn't make you deep. Utterly Pretentious.

I totally get what you mean by that last bit. This is a common thing in many forms of media, where it is believed by creators that name dropping or quoting an intelligent person somehow makes their own work more intelligent. They don't seem to understand that in order for something like that to actually be intelligent, it has to be engaged with in a meaningful fashion. If not it's just pseudo-intellectual pandering. I liked Psycho-Pass, but I would never describe it as a particularly deep or intelligent show. It's just a fairly decent sci-fi police procedural.

1. World Trigger is a good shonen. All of you are wrong. (And yes, I am talking about the anime.)

2. I'm with others, Psycho-Pass is crap. It's a bad rip off of Philip K. Dick works and adaptations. If I wanted a riff on Minority Report, I'd watch Spielberg's Minority Report. It also bugs me that the team is colossally stupid, the series has nothing to say and to top it off Akane seemingly does nothing but defer to the nearest man (and once the nearest woman) throughout the 16 episodes I stomached. I genuinely think I only stomached that many episodes because of the excellent Egoist ED.

3. Your Name is meh. I don't know what everyone sees in it. It's a perfectly good film, that wants to say things but doesn't. I have no idea why everyone likes it so much, and I disagree with the idea that the romance is good, it did absolutely nothing for me. I enjoyed Shin Godzilla way way way more. (It's hitting home video in Australia soon, I'm strongly considering importing.)

4. I care not for artbooks, chipboard boxes or digipacks. Very rarely do I want anymore than the show itself.

5. Evangelion 1.11 is a bad film. It makes no sense without having previously seen the series, feels incomplete and is essentially an entire film of beginning, with a bit of middle and no end. It's a fun watch, but it doesn't even really constitute a film.

6. Concrete Revolutio is a good (not great) series, but it's not smart. If you can't make your point without the majority of the audience needing to scour through three or four different Japanese history textbooks, you should probably consider a new career. (It was co-financed by Daisuki, so I can only assume it was intended very much with an international audience in mind.)

I was not aware that Shinji had such range. Such a cautious half smile. :D
That's what passes for bliss in Shinji's range, believe it or not! :D

Your Name is meh. I don't know what everyone sees in it. It's a perfectly good film, that wants to say things but doesn't. I have no idea why everyone likes it so much, and I disagree with the idea that the romance is good, it did absolutely nothing for me.
I can only recycle my earlier comment directed at @Buzzkillington:
You must have a concrete block in place of a heart or something! :p
I thought Shinkai was heading for a replay of the ending of 5 Centimetres per Second ...
... but thank god he decided to give us a happy ending this time. I think I would've been left crawling out of the cinema on my hands and knees sobbing otherwise!
I care not for artbooks, chipboard boxes or digipacks.
= scandal.
Evangelion 1.11 is a bad film. It makes no sense without having previously seen the series, feels incomplete and is essentially an entire film of beginning, with a bit of middle and no end. It's a fun watch, but it doesn't even really constitute a film.
Evangelion 1.11 is the first in a series of four films, so it's no wonder it feels incomplete! I'm sure you know already, but its Japanese title is Evangelion shin gekijouban: Jo. Jo means "prelude"; the film is intended as a prelude to all that will follow, so it is indeed "essentially an entire film of beginning". That was the intention.

Evangelion 1.11 is the first in a series of four films, so it's no wonder it feels incomplete! I'm sure you know already, but its Japanese title is Evangelion shin gekijouban: Jo. Jo means "prelude"; the film is intended as a prelude to all that will follow, so it is indeed "essentially an entire film of beginning". That was the intention.

You can have an entire film of beginning that still feels like a film with its own distinct beginning, middle and end. Just look at Kill Bill, Vol. 1 and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the first parts in multi-part series, yet neither fails to work as it's own standalone piece of work, Eva 1.11 feels incomplete, it has no arc, no real resolution, stuff just kinda happens, and that's not good enough.

Then, it resolves the film using the appearance of a "character" who the audience has not been introduced to, yet is somehow expected know and expected to understand exactly why this appearance suddenly changes Shinji's mind, which is criminally bad writing.

And if it was intended as a miniseries, Anno should probably have finished it by now, but most importantly, they probably should have released it as a theatrical miniseries, not a feature film. As they did so, I can only assume it was intended to stand on its own merit. Sadly, it does not.

^ This is also mostly how I feel about Kizumonogatari (the first film, the only once I've seen thus far). I really enjoyed it, however, I think that it's a bad film. I finished it thinking "okay, that was nice, where's the rest of it?"

Compound that with the absolutely extortionate prices AoA are charging for each "film", but that's a whole other topic...

I get that with Kizumonogatari. At SLA, they showed parts 1 & 2 together as a double bill, which I think was entirely the right decision. Had I just watched 1 on its own, I'd have had exactly the same complaint.

Considering it was written as one book, trying to get three films out of it, each with a satisfying ending isn't going to happen. I totally agree that Part 1 alone isn't very satisfying, but I don't think it's meant to be, if that makes sense. Feel as if you're supposed to watch them back to back, or at the very least not months apart.

It's the only scene in anime that actually gets much worse when you know the context.
You mean the fact that they're siblings?

You can have an entire film of beginning that still feels like a film with its own distinct beginning, middle and end. ... Eva 1.11 feels incomplete, it has no arc, no real resolution, stuff just kinda happens
Mnh... Are Eva 2.22 or 3.33 any different in terms of "completeness", though? I mean, you couldn't ask for a more inconclusive ending than 2.22's! And, to me, if you're talking about an instalment that "feels incomplete, it has no arc, no real resolution, stuff just kinda happens", that's 3.33 to a tee, surely! :p

To me, both 1.11 and 2.22 feel like complete films in their own right. I couldn't say that about 3.33, though.
Then, it resolves the film using the appearance of a "character" who the audience has not been introduced to, yet is somehow expected know and expected to understand exactly why this appearance suddenly changes Shinji's mind, which is criminally bad writing.
Suddenly changes Shinji's mind about what, dude? Have I missed something? Shinji doesn't even know Kaworu exists until 3.33.

Mnh... Are Eva 2.22 or 3.33 any different in terms of "completeness", though? I mean, you couldn't ask for a more inconclusive ending than 2.22's! And, to me, if you're talking about an instalment that "feels incomplete, it has no arc, no real resolution, stuff just kinda happens", that's 3.33 to a tee, surely! :p

To me, both 1.11 and 2.22 feel like complete films in their own right. I couldn't say that about 3.33, though.

Suddenly changes Shinji's mind about what, dude? Have I missed something? Shinji doesn't even know Kaworu exists until 3.33.

I haven't seen 2.22 or 3.33 because I was so perturbed by 1.11 and haven't seen the main series.

And I meant Adam. Adam appears in 1.11 and suddenly changes Shinji's mind about fighting in the final battle. But who the **** is Adam?

Last edited:
That's not Adam, dude.
It's Lilith, the Second Angel.

In 1.11 a character, who is referred to Adam, regardless of whether that is actually their name (and I haven't seen 2.22 or 3.33, so a far as I know it is his name), is used as motivation for Shinji in the film's last battle, despite the fact the audience has no clue who on Earth Adam is.

If you haven't seen NGE that scene is just really poorly written, and given this is (marketed as) a remake of NGE, for it to require knowledge of NGE is absurd. I guess most people have seen NGE, so it doesn't matter. I hadn't so it made no sense.

Last edited:
Katanagatari ending is awful. I mean like really bad. People seem to overlook this despite it making zero sense probably due to it being a very good looking anime and who the author is. Other issues are the ninja's are pathetic and are taken from a Saturday morning cartoon and are nothing more than canon fodder. The old lady narrator make me want to rip my ears off.

In 1.11 a character, who is referred to Adam, regardless of whether that is actually their name (and I haven't seen 2.22 or 3.33, so a far as I know it is his name), is used as motivation for Shinji in the film's last battle, despite the fact the audience has no clue who on Earth Adam is.

If you haven't seen NGE that scene is just really poorly written, and given this is (marketed as) a remake of NGE, for it to require knowledge of NGE is absurd. I guess most people have seen NGE, so it doesn't matter. I hadn't so it made no sense.
You know, I've saw 1.11 a few times and for the life of me I can't figure out who you're talking about. :/ I mean obviously Adam, but I don't remember Adam being in 1.11, or any of the other Rebuild movies coming to think about it. Which scene is he mentioned in?

When Remiel is attacking Tokyo 3 shinji won't go back in the Eva so randomly Misato shows why they've got to stop Remiel getting into NERV so she shows him ADAM

When Remiel is attacking Tokyo 3 shinji won't go back in the Eva so randomly Misato shows why they've got to stop Remiel getting into NERV so she shows him ADAM
She shows him Lilith, and having just checked my BD she is referred to as such, so can't be that.

Not sure how much point there is in spoilering that, but I will anyway....

Back