your choice dvd or blu-ray

pneboy

Dandy Guy, in Space
if you had the choice to buy a 26 episode show on a set of 6 dvd's or 1 blu-ray disk with dvd quality picture

i know id choose blu-ray
btw is it possible to plug a blu-ray player into a crt tv or is the only output a hdmi

wel assuming i had already a blu-ray player and that the set had already been payed for by some one else, well then it would be blu-ray :p But seriously i would go with what ever is cheapest

I know the memory capacity on Blu-Rays is huge but would it even be possible to get a whole season on a single disc?

BlackWolf said:
wel assuming i had already a blu-ray player and that the set had already been payed for by some one else, well then it would be blu-ray :p But seriously i would go with what ever is cheapest

I know the memory capacity on Blu-Rays is huge but would it even be possible to get a whole season on a single disc?

well if you've ever looked on a dvd threw a computer you would see a episode on a dvd is 0.99gb so it seems there would be a great chance of it working

If I **** the Blu-Ray disc up bye bye 26 episodes, but if I **** up one of the 6 DVDs I still have 5 others to watch.

Blu-ray because it has massive interactivity and future applications.

DVD is outdated.

As for your second question, it makes absolutely no sense. If your TV has an HDMI cable, then it will work with your Blu-ray player.

DVD is fine by me. I've seen comparisons of the Paprika blu ray with the DVD version and really it's not THAT much of an improvement.

until blu-ray becomes maintstream, DVD.

it was exactly like this when dvd came out compared to vhs... ill wait two years thanks.

Nyu said:
it was exactly like this when dvd came out compared to vhs... ill wait two years thanks.
I see that as being extremely different. VHS to DVD was a massive step from a degradeable tape to a much longer lasting, if taken care of properly, disk format. The move from DVD to Blu Ray is tiny in comparison.

Probably blu-ray, though it all depends on circumstances. I like the idea of one disc and assumedly one cheaper purchase for a whole series, but would distributers really do that? The capacity is there, but whether they would ever consider it in the first place is another matter.

Either way, I won't be considering Blu-ray as an option until it becomes far more well established. And cheaper, I'm poor right now :(

Blu-ray but like you said only because you can fit so much on it.

Am i the only person who isnt really bothered about hi definition? Seriously with the size of blu-ray i'd rather have a good 10 films on one disc than 1 incredibly high quality film, if hollywood thinks im going to re-purchase my dvd collection on blu-ray they are sadly mistaken.

But will they release compilations like that? Hell no cause it simply doesnt milk the cow hard enough.

I'd buy the blu-ray because I have so many DVDs that any offer of saving shelf space is valuable. Also despite the scratch danger, I am led to believe that blu-ray is more resilient to damage than DVDs. The quality difference isn't massive, especially with the older shows I favour and their invariably grotty transfers, but when it works it really works. On a big TV you can usually see the DVD picture's flaws a little too clearly.

I hooked up my blu-ray player to my old CRT (RGB SCART) without a problem back in the day. Then I went out and bought a better TV so I could actually see the difference. But it worked - I've heard that some UK models require certain connectors though (SCART rather than composite or something) or they futz up the colours on purpose for daft copy protection reasons. I never ran into this but your mileage may vary!

R

It is possible to plug a Blu-Ray player into a TV that doesn't support HD (That's if the Blu-Ray player has SCART connections), but its really kinda of pointless as you'll just lose all the quality then anyway.

If your TV has VGA connection and the Blu-Ray player, there wouldn't be a massive loss in quality.

Though if the series is all released on the one Blu-Ray disc it depends if its region free or not.

NAO!!! Dont take my DVDs away!!!
I dunno... I think the 6 disk idea where only 1 messes up is kool, but the Blu-Ray disks aren't that much more expensive (as far as Play.com make them out on R1 disks.) But we need a player for that 1st, maybe a PS3?

DVD of course. And also agreeing with Maxon and Nyu.

It seems a bit silly to try and cram a whole series on a single blu-ray disk, even if they do have like 10x the storage capacity.

Sy said:
Nyu said:
I see that as being extremely different. VHS to DVD was a massive step from a degradeable tape to a much longer lasting, if taken care of properly, disk format. The move from DVD to Blu Ray is tiny in comparison.

I didnt mean it quality wise. it was the same problem with pricing. in the first 2 years of DVDS being released the players costed anything from £500-1000 and the DVDs were £26 a pop. now look where it is.

Blu-ray will be exactly the same, it will get cheaper over time.

Otaku-san said:
PS3!!! for blu-ray, plus it can play all the DVD's you got as well

I'm just making this obvious

it also costs £300 and is the cheapest blu-ray player on the market. thats how high prices are.

Ill buy a blu-ray player when I need to buy a new video player and all they have is blu-ray players.

That or Final Fantasy 13 turns out to be both good and not ported to the 360 (which is currently my default DVD player due to the shiny componant connections on my shiny tele)

Back