Your best and worst of the Winter season

Winter wins just for having Laid-back Camp.

For real every season has had it's fair share of great shows but winter was something else that only the fall season has come close to beating.

Bunny girl has the tropey sister in it and meh animation and feels deriative of haruhi and monogatari. As I went in recommended it was it a surprise I’m disappointed as yes it’s vastly superior than its name and key art suggests but no I won’t be paying AoA prices for it.
This year my top stuff is Banana Fish, Tsurune and Sequels (SAO, Free). Admittedly I haven't seen Yuru Camp and place further (Though I do plan to watch place further when the BD comes out)

Last edited:
Sorry bunny girl is miles better than Haruhi, it's well paced and the characters well written. It also helps that it's has a female MC who's not a bitch. The art probably is a bit unambitious but I can overlook that.

It’s not. All the characters are just generic tropes. And the animation is average.Only the middle school woman seems interesting but her arc isn’t till the film so I’ll be waiting a while.
And the more I think about it it’s easier to compare it to monogatari. And monogatari is way way way way better imo anyway.

It’s not. All the characters are just generic tropes. And the animation is average.Only the middle school woman seems interesting but her arc isn’t till the film so I’ll be waiting a while.
And the more I think about it it’s easier to compare it to monogatari. And monogatari is way way way way better imo anyway.
In fairness you're a massive Monogatari fan so im not sure any show will match up to that in your eyes. I love Monogatari too but its certainly not perfect and the idea of it being way way better is an exaggeration.

Okay instead of catching up on the last few shows I’ll make this post first and the leftovers will be talked about in the viewing journal when I get around to them. I’ll keep this shorter than my other seasonal overviews.

Anime of the Season (and Year)
Laid-Back Camp - It's no exaggeration to say that this really could be one of my overall favourite anime series. The characters were great fun to watch and the laid-back atmosphere was executed really well with great use of soundtrack and background art. The educational parts of the show were introduced in a natural way and provided great insight into how to camp. Having now read the manga it's really clear just how much attention was given to making this such a great adaptation. I really can't wait for the SHINY DAYS to return with all the new projects announced.
Screenshot_20181121-000144_Crunchyroll.jpg
This interview with director Yoshiaki Kyogoku is also an interesting read into the making of this series.

Excellent
A Place Further than the Universe - Great fun characters and story have made this my pick for 2nd place for AOTY.
Violet Evergarden - Started a little slow but damn stories like episode 10 really made it worth the watch.
Mitsuboshi Colors - A CGDCT show with fun shenanigans and humour.
Pop Team Epic - It's so bad but so great.

Great
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (First Cour) - The return of the best psychic.
ReLIFE: Final Arc - A great ending, though it could use a few more episodes.
Darling in the Franxx (First Cour) - Strong first cour but big oof at the second.
B: The Beginning - Good supernatural crime series. Looking forward to the second season.

Good
School Babysitters - Cute SoL series with plenty of heartwarming moments.
Takunomi - A fun series of shorts.
Zoku Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru - The sword boys return.
How to Keep a Mummy - SoL with cute monsters.
Citrus - A bit too non-consensual at times but I still enjoy the garbage.

Eh
Overlord II - Looking back on it, this may be where my problems with the series started.
Fate/Extra: Last Encore - Looks cool but I don't really know what's going on.

Bad - (Land of spicy opinions)
Devilman: Crybaby - It just didn't click with me
Junji Ito: Collection - I think it's best Junji Ito's work stay untouched until a competent studio can do it justice.
Death March to the Parallel World Fantasy - I've honestly forgotten what happened in this series.

Best OPs
Laid-Back Camp
Junji Ito: Collection (Literally the only good thing about the series)
A Place Further than the Universe

Best EDs
Laid-Back Camp
B: The Beginning
Mitsuboshi Colors

Best Animation
Violet Evergarden

Best Soundtrack
Violet Evergarden
Laid-Back Camp

Best Characters
Violet Evergarden
Laid-Back Camp

Best Girl
Rin Shima - Laid-Back Camp

Best Boy
Keith Flick - B: The Beginning

Last edited:
Apart from a Movie (which is quite possible) they could pull a Non Non Biyori Repeat, and go over the same year, but see events and things that we didn't see, or things that were only hinted upon?
Seems like a better place here,

I wouldn't like that, part of what makes their journey interesting to follow is the emotional impact. That would be mostly lost.