Y'know, at times, it sucks to be an anime fan in the UK.

RetroRainbow said:
unellmay said:
RetroRainbow said:
unellway; some of the titles you named aren't licensed, at all. Such as Gintama and Nodame. Even if Gintama was licensed, and brought over here, I doubt that it would sell well. The premise is too odd for the casual fan. GTO is much more accessible, and already has brownie points for being one of the most well known (actually decent!) school anime of our time.

And Crayon Shin-chan would have even less of a chance selling over here than something like GTO. Several years back, Shin-chan was aired over here in a children's block, around 11 am. If they released it over here I'm sure some people would think, 'oh god, I watched that when I was younger'. Same with Cardcaptor Sakura, annoyingly enough. They come off as childish.

And how do you know that GTO 'sucks'? Have you watched it?

1. gintama is on cruchyroll lots of people should have seen it by know its one of the most hilarious animes ever and could even recommend it to their friends.

2.I have and the anime version is not as good

[b]I know that it's on crunchyroll, but so what? Rubbish such as School Days is also on there, and I say that has just as much a chance of Gintama being licensed[/b]; not high at all. Plus, from my time on crunchyroll last year, it was made painfully clear that nobody there has any decent taste. The same inane topics were made ad nauseum, often with three of the same topics on the front page, each only worded differently. Titles like Code Geass and Shugo Chara reigned supreme.

Ah Lupus, one man's meat, and all that.

Have you finally joined NF, Aion? It's a decent community, surprisingly enough. Some top members there, and there's plenty to post about, even if one doesn't like Naruto all that much anymore.

I watched GTO on a low quality stream, but that didn't dampen my enjoyment of it. I've yet to read the manga, but going by my enjoyment of the anime, it's a series that I think deserves to be bought, and not lazily downloaded on a late night whim. With a recent sequel out, I'm rather impatient to get to it, but it'll just have to wait.

I basically cut out right where the bold is
First of all I liked school days the ending defiantly surprised me
and
second there is no way you actually believe that right?

Gintama has a phenomenally HIGH chance of being chance of getting
licensed in fact I would probably put it on a top 10 list with hitman reborn

It's just simply a question of who
my bets are on either funimation or Viz (maybe Bandai)
Hopefully viz as it seems like it would have a higher chance of being released here quicker

Plus I hate funimation for blocking me from their video service

Aion said:
Geez, you like picking faults, Ms. Nitpick. I was thinking of descriptive words for Horo (it can be 'L' or 'R' before you start!) and foxy (as in, sexy) and her being an animal crossed, resulting in foxy. Next you'll start the grammar Nazi routine.
It's Mr. Nitpick, thank you very much. :)

And it is Holo. All of the official sources agree that these days, with only the fansub community arguing. And I prefer grammar communism, we can all spot each other's mistakes for a much more orderly world.

I can understand if Daphne was available for cheap and they went for it, but licensing rubbish because it's cheap doesn't help anime in the UK - it makes the problem worse. More rubbish anime on UK shelves solves nothing.
But it sells. People clearly want rubbish like Daphne, or they wouldn't buy it. For the record, I quite enjoyed the series.

Well given that reasoning It seems much less likely :cry:
and now that I think about it

It's pretty likely that they put it on crunchy
so that lots of people would buy products from it
and that would generate money
(clever Idea honestly)

I think its kind of who know I think I saw stranger things licensed
that people said never would
I Just sort of holding out hope for this and setsoubou sensei

Well at least its free legally and everything :)

RetroRainbow said:
Yeah, I was going to mention Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, actually.

Although, strangely enough, I do think there's some hope for it. After all, on a Funimation licensing poll several months ago, that was one of the options. (But then again, filth such as Queen's Blade was also put down there, so who knows?)

I hate queens blade too
are you a girl or boy out of interest

Your avatar confuses me

and I wanna know it you found it offensive based on the somewhat hardcore nudity or the terrible writing

I'd buy Queen's Blade :)

I'd also lap up Zetsubou-sensei. The excellent manga is sufficing for now but I like it enough to buy both versions so long as someone gets around to releasing them. I voted for both in Funi's poll, as well as Basara, so there's some hope!

I always hope that when there's a translated manga in circulation the companies watch its performance closely. Particularly Viz as Gintama is exactly the kind of show they would release if the manga sales are strong enough. It must be a better gauge of whether something will succeed in a region than fansub popularity, which can be wildly misleading depending on the genre (poor Hare+Guu and Kodocha).

R

Rui said:
I'd buy Queen's Blade :)

I'd also lap up Zetsubou-sensei. The excellent manga is sufficing for now but I like it enough to buy both versions so long as someone gets around to releasing them. I voted for both in Funi's poll, as well as Basara, so there's some hope!

I always hope that when there's a translated manga in circulation the companies watch its performance closely. Particularly Viz as Gintama is exactly the kind of show they would release if the manga sales are strong enough. It must be a better gauge of whether something will succeed in a region than fansub popularity, which can be wildly misleading depending on the genre (poor Hare+Guu and Kodocha).

R

I thought you were a girl
Though I'm actually somewhat attracted to it now that I know aya hirano is in it (probably not by choice mind you)

Queen's Blade... My opinion of that show, although not having seen it yet, went thus (you don't even have to scroll down the page, the images you're greeted with suffice. Links obviously NSFW):

"Mm. Looking good. Wait... DO NOT WANT"

I wish they'd give us some polls for what we'd like to see in the UK. Both Manga and MVM would be prime targets for this, it might make sure they release stuff people want to buy from now on. MVM are good enough to give us those little opinion cards in each DVD but how many do you imagine get returned, especially since you have to pay for a stamp? Online opinion collection would make much more sense.

I'm happy with everything to do with the state of affairs pertaining purely to anime industries. My quarrel lies almost exclusively with Customs & Revenue- our limit is £18, whilst in places such as Australia it's A$1000. Make of that what one will.

unellmay said:
Though I'm actually somewhat attracted to it now that I know aya hirano is in it (probably not by choice mind you)

I have to keep Aion on his toes.

I like the aesthetic of Queen's Blade and a little pointless fanservice in between the heavier shows suits me. Especially when it has fantasy stylings and interesting character designs. I avoid cutesy fanservice shows and Key series but Queen's Blade looks more fun. I think R1 may be my only hope for the time being there.

Blame the years of dodgy Manga UK VHS sex and violence releases for making me what I am today.

:thumb:

R

Rui said:
unellmay said:

I have to keep Aion on his toes.

I like the aesthetic of Queen's Blade and a little pointless fanservice in between the heavier shows suits me. Especially when it has fantasy stylings and interesting character designs. I avoid cutesy fanservice shows and Key series but Queen's Blade looks more fun. I think R1 may be my only hope for the time being there.

Blame the years of dodgy Manga UK VHS sex and violence releases for making me what I am today.

:thumb:

R

Have you seen it?

RetroRainbow said:
I'm a girl. And how on earth does my avatar confuse you?

I didn't even watch Queen's Blade, so I was being completely biased when I said that it was filth. I'm just going on what I've seen from places like, yeah, Sankaku Com. From what I've seen, it's this warrior princess battle royale show, where one must come out top. Of course, in every episode several characters seem to misplace their tops, but I suppose that's what the fans wanted. It was popular enough to earn a second season, after all.

Oh, yeah, Sengoku Basara was licensed too, wasn't it? I highly enjoyed the first episode of that, actually. Seemed so ridiculous, but that's why I enjoyed it. Horse motorbikes, and 'OYAKATA-SAMA!' - 'YUKIMURA!' - 'OYAKATA-SAMA!' - 'YUKIMURA!'. It didn't seem to take itself seriously at all. I'll have to get back to watching that at some point. I've an awful habit of leaving things on my 'watching' list for months on end.

I agree, Ayase. It would be nice if they did something like Fumimation with the online polls. Even though our options would be even more limited, considering that we'd be cherrypicking from what's already on offer in region one.

It's usually a guy with a girls avatar it confuses me :?

going by the first ep I think it was the worse show this season or should I say last season?
This seasons worse show going by the first ep is needless

(such a fitting name for the show :lol: )

I only watched that cause someone said one of the characters was a reancarnation of kamina which I found rather untrue
kamina was awesome because of his love for his brother and his never give up attitude this guy was was just way overpowered like a saiyan =C

RetroRainbow said:
Well, I had a guy as my avatar for several months before this one. But, it doesn't matter now.

That's a rather silly way of identifying somebody's gender, anyway. Plenty of guys have other guys as their avatar, and plenty of girls have girls as their avatars.

Doesn't change the fact it confuses me

unellmay said:
Have you seen it?

Nope. Got some of the dodgy [and expensive] figurines/stickposters though. Echidna is watching me type this. I know I'll like it enough to buy it just from seeing the promotional art. I'm familiar with the original QB game. QB doesn't take itself as seriously as a lot of fanservice (it can't really) so it appeals more to me.

Sengoku Basara looks like great fun. Another I'm not expecting to take too seriously but definitely a day one purchase unless one of the UK companies pipes up that it's on the radar first. I'm also fascinated by the enormous quantities of BL that the original games generated in Japan.

I used to have a female avatar too. I find girls often do, though they tend to be less cutesy characters (RR's current one has a delightfully twisted vibe). I'm only being Viral because I'm too lazy to change after Gurren Lagann's themed fortnight ;)

R

Rui said:
unellmay said:
Have you seen it?

Nope. Got some of the dodgy [and expensive] figurines/stickposters though. Echidna is watching me type this. I know I'll like it enough to buy it just from seeing the promotional art. I'm familiar with the original QB game. QB doesn't take itself as seriously as a lot of fanservice (it can't really) so it appeals more to me.

Sengoku Basara looks like great fun. Another I'm not expecting to take too seriously but definitely a day one purchase unless one of the UK companies pipes up that it's on the radar first. I'm also fascinated by the enormous quantities of BL that the original games generated in Japan.

I used to have a female avatar too. I find girls often do, though they tend to be less cutesy characters (RR's current one has a delightfully twisted vibe). I'm only being Viral because I'm too lazy to change after Gurren Lagann's themed fortnight ;)

R

I just sort of assumed you wear a girl based on your husband comment earlier

And Queens Blade UGGH!!!
I really think you wasted your money
Iim not even agianst ecchi like at all But I think this may have been the worst I've ever seen beyond reticulas
Most if not all the woman have these giant oversized beyond ridicule balloon breasts one of them the wears glasses I think
has ones so large they make me physically ill

If you want some good ecchi most of don't have oversized at least not like queen blades

Then you should look up

To love ru (Quite funny I think)
Air gear (Totally awesome)
Tenjho Tenge
Ichigo 100% (heard its good)
Love Hina
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (it's kinda funny)
Rosario + Vampire (heard it's good)
Witchblade
Sumomomo Momomo (basing it on a couple pages I read it's kinda funny)

All of those totally kick queen blades ass in all areas
and many of them put the ecchi in with a little tact

SO PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON QUEENS BLADE
WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THESE INSTEAD AT LEAST YOU GET A HALF DECENT STORY WITH IT!!!!

some of them if not all the mangas better though especially air gear which starts getting real good right after where the anime ends

I hope this was somewhat helpful

RetroRainbow said:
I'm a girl. And how on earth does my avatar confuse you?

GOD DAMN YOU WOMEN

can't you specifically point out that your a girl before posting. It makes our lives so much easier to know

/witty wit

Lupus said:
Queen's Blade is better than like half of those, except OH! GREAT works. Queen's Blade was pretty bad though.

To be honest I've only seen the top 3
and the first 12 of witchblade

And OH! GREAT is pretty amazing
I think air gear was the first ecchi I sat all the way trough
He's basically the god of ecchi
and the art work is air gear the manga is so amazing that the anime doesn't do it justice

I feel sort of the opposite about tenge though there were various thing the anime clearly did better in

and ehh I think to to love ru is pretty decent
(I think the dvd version has quite a bit of softcore nudity which seems sort of out of place to me =/)

I think it looks prettier then queen blade hands down

I was gonna put negima too much the anime version isn't really ecchi
cept that ova of course
I think negima is pretty A grade when it comes to ecchi stuff
The thing I know is better is Air gear seriously how awesome is this thing
I hope they make another season O_O

Regarding Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, there's a rumour (just a rumour, mind) that Media Blasters have it. And also Moyashimon, which interests me more. We shall have to wait and see whether or not that Toon Zone poster was talking guff, I suppose.

unellmay said:

I think we have different taste. I would never pay for Love Hina and a few of the others (Witchblade, the Oh Great stuff and Dokuro-chan are the ones from that list I would rate). I already have the ones from that list that I would consider worthwhile so the rest I'm happy to pass over for a potential Queen's Blade release.

Also on the balloon breasts, I'm aware of the existence of Cattleya. I also bought and enjoyed the Eiken OAV ;). Ecchi stuff being obviously OTT and funny is a plus for me. Cattleya really isn't meant to be taken seriously.

I hope the MB rumour is true because both of those shows are on my wishlist. On topic the main problem with MB is that their niche stuff almost never gets sublicensed and released over here. In the case of Zetsubou-sensei and Moyashimon that's probably not surprising as they surely won't be able to fly off UK shelves and it would be financial suicide for a company to try to release them at the moment. Being proven wrong wouldn't be a bad feeling this time.

I would also like to see some Funi-style polls for the UK as was suggested. Traditionally the companies keep their plans well hidden to avoid the competition getting the upper hand but Funi has shown in the US that taking the occasional gamble can pay off and drum up quite a lot of enthusiasm. It's incredible how quickly they flew past the older companies to lead the pack. Beez seem to be picking up most of Bandai's marketable shows anyway. Manga UK and MVM are less predictable so I agree that some teasing/hyping fans in this manner might work well.

R

Rui said:
unellmay said:

I think we have different taste. I would never pay for Love Hina and a few of the others (Witchblade, the Oh Great stuff and Dokuro-chan are the ones from that list I would rate). I already have the ones from that list that I would consider worthwhile so the rest I'm happy to pass over for a potential Queen's Blade release.

Also on the balloon breasts, I'm aware of the existence of Cattleya. I also bought and enjoyed the Eiken OAV ;). Ecchi stuff being obviously OTT and funny is a plus for me. Cattleya really isn't meant to be taken seriously.

I hope the MB rumour is true because both of those shows are on my wishlist. On topic the main problem with MB is that their niche stuff almost never gets sublicensed and released over here. In the case of Zetsubou-sensei and Moyashimon that's probably not surprising as they surely won't be able to fly off UK shelves and it would be financial suicide for a company to try to release them at the moment. Being proven wrong wouldn't be a bad feeling this time.

I would also like to see some Funi-style polls for the UK as was suggested. Traditionally the companies keep their plans well hidden to avoid the competition getting the upper hand but Funi has shown in the US that taking the occasional gamble can pay off and drum up quite a lot of enthusiasm. It's incredible how quickly they flew past the older companies to lead the pack. Beez seem to be picking up most of Bandai's marketable shows anyway. Manga UK and MVM are less predictable so I agree that some teasing/hyping fans in this manner might work well.

R

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f-jGYAbjIOI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f-jGYAbjIOI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back