worst/best films to come from a game

ridley

School Idol
i got this idea from ryo chans worst game thread.
what films based on vg do you think was the worst?

im gonna be the first to say the mario film agh

then you have the doa film

what films based on vg do you think were the best?

ill say silent hill and resi 1

Worst..
I havent seen it but it'd have to goto D.O.A

Best...
Only speculated but Metal Gear Solid if its ever made, but Resident Evil wasnt a half bad film.

Ryo Chan said:
Outlawstar said:
Street fighter was just terrible

doom was worse

What kind of complex plot were you expecting from a Doom movie :roll:

Meh, in my opinion, no video-game based movie has been amazing. Yes, that includes Advent Children, stupid fanboys...

Espy said:
Ryo Chan said:
Outlawstar said:
Street fighter was just terrible

doom was worse

What kind of complex plot were you expecting from a Doom movie :roll:

Meh, in my opinion, no video-game based movie has been amazing. Yes, that includes Advent Children, stupid fanboys...
Advent Children was just a 'look at what we can do with CGI' movie.

That other final fantasy video they had. I loved the film, i thought it was entertaining. But it had absolutley NOTHING to do with the final fantasy franchise, if they named it something else i think they would have gotten much better reviews as too many people bought it thinking they would see cloud and were dissapointed.

Almost every film Uwe Boll gets his grubby hands on turns to crap http://imdb.com/name/nm0093051/ One of the worst directors ever.

The best is easily Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie. I'd say the best live-action one though is Mortal Kombat. The first Resident Evil gets a special mention for not being utterly crap, and having the bit with the lasers :)

There are too many contenders for Worst that it doesn't bear thinking about. Super Mario Bros, House of the Dead, even the anime versions of Tekken and SiN. Shudder,

I think Advent Children is a special case though. Altough I'll be the first to admit it's horribly overrated, overhyped and utterly nonsensical if you never played Final Fantasy VII, it touched a spot with a lot of fans of the game (the ones that got every character up to level 90-something, beat all the Weapons, went through all that stupid Chocobo racing and eventually got the last summon). Maybe it was just the nostalgia taking root, but I enjoyed it for what it was - an indulgent reunion spectacle for the fans. Even if it was a slightly disappointing one.

I thought Advent Children was good, until I developed intelligence.

Also agreed @ Uwe Boll, that guy needs to try harder.

The way I see it, FFVII had a great plot that developed slowly.

AC was just a string of fights with no plot and you just KNEW Sephiroth would appear at the end with adequate explaination, just to please the fans. Every main character (which in FFVII had great stories and developement), bar Cloud and Tifa, had no relevance to the plot and was seemingly just thrown in as if their existance in the films is enough to please the fans.

What annoyed me so amazingly much was a lot of the more mature side of the fanbase calling it "a classic" and "Nomura's masterpiece".

Meh, give me a live-action trilogy based on the original game anyday. Yes, I think that could work.

McIcy said:
Nyu said:
McIcy said:
Worst.... Mario, Street Fighter Alpha

Did you just dis the Mario Brothers live action film? That was awesome in about eleventy million ways.

That had better be you attempting sarcasm Nyu..... Mario was an aweful movie.

:lol: half and half, i haven't seen that film since i was 8. Probably watching it now it will seem crap, but when i was that age it was better than sliced bread.

Doom was pretty crap too, i never even bothered to watch it. Resident evil was sub par and i haven't even bothered to check out the sequel.

Funny how games rarely make for good movies and movies rarely make for good games.
The main reason behind this is probably a little phrase called "cash in"

From what I've seen:

Best - Silent Hill, RE.
Worst - the rest: Double Dragon, Mario, RE:A, Street Fighter.

I don't count Street Fighter 2: Animated, since it's anime, and what I'm looking at is the American film industry's ability to adapt from games. In short, they don't know how to make the film resemble the source material in any way without screwing something up badly. Why half of the licenses were bought in the first place I don't know.

Silent Hill is different, the source material has been given a good outing. Even then, there are silly changes (the main being everyone describing Harry as being a female character). How is Harry playing a woman exactly, because he's looking for his child? What would be the 'manly' approach then? Sloping down to the diner, slapping the TV (which is disrupted by static) to watch 'the game', whilst slouching on a bar stool, belching and scratching himself? Cobblers.

The way the religion was explained away was considerably less sinister than the way the games did it, and Pyramid Head is taken completely out of context so his role is diminished to almost nothing. Nah, not quite, but still better than the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back