Which animes really stands out to you

Animefreak17

Godhand
Ok recently i feel iv been watching the same anime over and over again you know a guy is on a quest and meets up with other people on hes journey and joins him or he faces off against a stronger opponent each ep or they have a secret power they don't know til they first ep starts or they have to rescue someone ect ect ect you know the same formulas. Anyways iv been really bored with the same senarios,

But there are some anime series thats diamond a anime that really sticks out from the rest I have a list of series that really got my attention and loved-

Desert punk * recently watched it's awesome the characters and story
HOTD * only watched disc 1 and I'm hooked it's awesome awesome the hole thing stands out
One piece * it's awesome the style and story
Trigun * classic and awesome characters and style
Kintaro *story and characters
black butler
Lucky star
Blue gender
Welcome to the nhk
Ouran high school
Baccano
Kino journey
Gurren largann
Giant robo
Mushi shi
Bamboo blade
Excel saga
Raman fighter Kiki
Hetalia
The count of monte cristo
Ghost hunt
Tokyo god fathers
Ergo proxy
Holic xxxx

There's a few more I should rewatch to give more which ones in my opinion and a lot of backlogs to go though * no I haven't seen death note yet* it's in my back logs with loads of others.

Anyways most of these are my fav and a few that isn't but has been noticed for being really good series by me.

I really should rewatch some of my already watched animes but I'm watching my backlogs so if I'm lucky there's a few gems in my backlogs that'll stand out like hotd desert punk hetalia ect ect ect ect.

i know theres more then this but like i said i need to rewatch my already watched series and movies to say which ones stand out

it can be the style the story the characters anything that caught your attention that made them stand out

Evangelion stands out for me because that was the first anime I watched. That was what opened the floodgates for me.

Gurren Lagann was gloriously over the top, Hetalia did something I thought the Japanese wouldn't do (make fun about the war), Ouran High School Host Club is one of the funniest anime I've seen so far, and Aria is so wonderfully tranquil.

Here's a list of anime that really stand out for me:
- Sound of the Sky. For me to have reviewed this and given it a 10/10 - a score I hate to give, you know it must have hit the right notes with me.
- Fullmetal Alchemist (+Brotherhood). These two series' are quite honestly, what shonen should aspire to be. The story is as exciting as it is heart wrenching.
- Toradora. Has a show ever been able to not only make me re- evaluate aspects of my own life, but also remind me of why doing so would be a bad idea? (The whole thing with Taiga and her dad is so similar to that of me and mine).
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica. What can I say really? It's a beautiful tragedy with, despite its prominent magical girl theme, has a core message that anyone can really relate to ("Kindness sometimes leads to even greater tragedy" - Homura Akemi).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouran, TWGOK & Fruits Baskets, i can watch both of them over & over & over again. I'm such a girl xD
Practically every Studio Ghibli & Satoshi Kon release.
Axis Power
Hellsing OVA

Glad to see the love for Ghost Hunt ....I was surprised by how much i enjoyed that, it was like episodes of CSI, i just couldn't stop watching. Plowed through that it in 2 days.

Just finished high school of the dead and it was awesome it was so fresh and feels original * in anime * to me this series really stands out I know we see zombies in other animes like hellsing and a few others but this anime really works them in

Haruhi was the first series I watched, and it's pretty much imprinted in my mind.

Princess Mononoke is a fantastic movie, with a beautiful story. I'd say it's my favourite standalone anime movie.

Rumbling Hearts was a series that kept drawing an emotional response out of me. I felt legitimately angry after some episodes.

Finally I'd say FLCL. I only watched it fairly recently, but it was one hell of a ride. The series unfolded in a bizarre way, but almost every minute was enjoyable in a very in-your-face way.

Grave of the Fireflies. Forgot to mention that one...so powerful.

VoxPhantom said:
Rumbling Hearts was a series that kept drawing an emotional response out of me. I felt legitimately angry after some episodes.
I love this series so much. I know what you mean about the anger - I still think Mitsuki is an absolute bitch. "Best friend in a coma? I'll just sleep with her boyfriend!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Death Note stands out for me, because it's such a simple concept executed so well. Also because of how relatively un-anime it is in terms of all the classic robots/ pantsu tropes.

Perfect Blue also stands out for me as a film that blew me away. I cannot express how much love I have for this film, it practically changed the way I watch and appreciate movies.

@Sparrowsabre7

Death Note is in my backlogs im making my way to it

@Joshawott

I know i know i feel that way too but on the other hand she gave up on her dream to help him, i know but i really really wish they'd put the other endings with it so we could have our own endings i feel ya, and yes Fullmetal Alchemist (+Brotherhood) is a awesome awesome series that does stick out but for some reason Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood felt a bit off dont get me wrong i like the series both of them but when they got to fort briggs it felt a lil off or maybe im comparing it to the 2003 version to much

VoxPhantom

i do agree Haruhi is a good series that does stand out from other series and is unique, i just wish they'd continue the manga it wasn't that long away from finishing
and Princess Mononoke is probably my * sorry for saying this * favourite next to spirited away yes spirited away got a oscar and such but for some reason i liked Princess Mononoke better

@Dannielle yeah ghost hunt is awesome, and me & my little sister likes Fruits Baskets she even cried asking me is there a season 2 which i wished there was

animefreak17 said:
Princess Mononoke is probably my * sorry for saying this * favourite next to spirited away yes spirited away got a oscar and such but for some reason i liked Princess Mononoke better

I perfer Mononoke over Spirited Away too. In terms of Ghibli films the one that sticks most in my mind is Pom Poko. Any PG film in which features cops being crushed to death by raccoon testicles has to stick in your head.

Hmmm, my list of anime that hit me, so much I wish I could forget them and watch them again with the same new eyes as the first time round:

Toradora
Spice and Wolf
Beck
Whisper of the Heart
Welcome to the NHK
Kanon

Out of this list, I'd say Welcome is the lowest down. It's good...the others are better.

I'd also agree with Death Notes inclusion in the list, if only for the first half of the show.

Foremost my 'Trilogy of Madness' as I once described it:

Paranoia Agent
Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei

These hit home because they always have me thinking. It is really an exercise for the mind. None have much in the way of action, and in Lain's case it doesn't look great, but I am still watching these three series today and picking up new things about them even years later.

Others of a similar ilk, not perhaps so groundbreaking include Noein, Patlabor 1 and 2, Anything by Satoshi Kon.

Elsewhere Anime that do things which are different. This goes from the epic (Princess Mononoke, Metropolis, Mushishi) to the fun but different (R.O.D, Dominion Tank Police, Spice and Wolf, Whisper of the Heart) to the absolutely crazy (Excel Saga, Dead Leaves)

Of course a few which I perhaps should like never took - Fullmetal Alchemist is the main one. I read an outline of the story before I watched it and it came over as a very dark, clever and serious story, but when I actually watched it it was presented far too often as a comedy which ruined it for me. Shame, but still plenty of other stuff to like.

Warmaster said:
Foremost my 'Trilogy of Madness' as I once described it:

Paranoia Agent
Serial Experiments Lain
Haibane Renmei

These hit home because they always have me thinking. It is really an exercise for the mind. None have much in the way of action, and in Lain's case it doesn't look great, but I am still watching these three series today and picking up new things about them even years later.

Others of a similar ilk, not perhaps so groundbreaking include Noein, Patlabor 1 and 2, Anything by Satoshi Kon.

Elsewhere Anime that do things which are different. This goes from the epic (Princess Mononoke, Metropolis, Mushishi) to the fun but different (R.O.D, Dominion Tank Police, Spice and Wolf, Whisper of the Heart) to the absolutely crazy (Excel Saga, Dead Leaves)

Of course a few which I perhaps should like never took - Fullmetal Alchemist is the main one. I read an outline of the story before I watched it and it came over as a very dark, clever and serious story, but when I actually watched it it was presented far too often as a comedy which ruined it for me. Shame, but still plenty of other stuff to like.

Mmm, I was debating including Paranoia since it's my favourite, but to me it didn't "stand out" as much as Perfect Blue did for me. i can't stress enough how surprised I was by that movie. I'll have to give Lain a look now though =P

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Mmm, I was debating including Paranoia since it's my favourite, but to me it didn't "stand out" as much as Perfect Blue did for me. i can't stress enough how surprised I was by that movie. I'll have to give Lain a look now though =P

Not maligning Perfect Blue, it is a great film (Everything Kon did is stand out) but it isn't my fave thing he did. My fave film would likely be Paprika (Though Millennium Actress is close) but all are great stuff. I am a sucker for letting stories 'breathe' mind (2 hours is often far too short to tell a story) which is probably why Paranoia ranks as the best of his for me.

Lain is a difficult one. I know a lot of people write it off as it does look a little rough around the edges. Get past that and you are in for something really clever and thought provoking.

Most of the series I would class as standout have already been mentioned, but here is a few more

Tatami Galaxy
House of five leaves
Trapeze/Kuchu Buranko
Arakawa under the bridge
Gankutsuou the count of Monte Cristo

and I think that's about it although there are a lot of other great series Ive watched I think those are what you would call stand out

Personally, for something to stick out in the anime genre as a whole for me would have to be ironically, 'unanime-like'.

A good example is Perfect Blue as previously mentioned. It feels like as if it could have been translated easily into a live-action film by the way the story is paced and the realistic movements of the characters. I await the day that it's available on Blu-Ray in a region other than Japan!

Warmaster said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

Not maligning Perfect Blue, it is a great film (Everything Kon did is stand out) but it isn't my fave thing he did. My fave film would likely be Paprika (Though Millennium Actress is close) but all are great stuff. I am a sucker for letting stories 'breathe' mind (2 hours is often far too short to tell a story) which is probably why Paranoia ranks as the best of his for me.

Lain is a difficult one. I know a lot of people write it off as it does look a little rough around the edges. Get past that and you are in for something really clever and thought provoking.

Oh, I agree. It's not my favourite either (I'd say Paranoia, Paprika, Perfect, Millennium, Magnetic Rose, Tokyo is my order) but it's the one that I feel was the most interesting structurally and in terms of direction. I also feel that Kon's films never feel rushed, even though they are all less than 1 hour 28 minutes (Tokyo is the longest by a nose, Perfect is the shortest at 1 hour 20, just checked the DVD backs)

neptune2venus said:
A good example is Perfect Blue as previously mentioned. It feels like as if it could have been translated easily into a live-action film by the way the story is paced and the realistic movements of the characters.

If I remember rightly, Perfect Blue was intended to be a live-action film originally, but the budget was cut and it turned into an anime production instead.

Professor Irony said:
neptune2venus said:
A good example is Perfect Blue as previously mentioned. It feels like as if it could have been translated easily into a live-action film by the way the story is paced and the realistic movements of the characters.

If I remember rightly, Perfect Blue was intended to be a live-action film originally, but the budget was cut and it turned into an anime production instead.

just watched it a while ago and it still holds up

Professor Irony said:

That's interesting. Could be why it has that film quality 'feel' to it which I rarely find in anime.

animefreak17 said:
just watched it a while ago and it still holds up

It's a classic! Even Hollywood has borrowed elements from Perfect Blue. For example in Black Swan there are more than a few similarities in my opinion - but that could be wishful thinking on my part!

Back