Where to Legally Watch Anime Online in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I treat any Animax exclusives as if they were unlicensed, and I bet I'm not the only one who does. So from that point of view, they are actively damaging the UK industry as people are choosing not to use the legal source.

@Grav - Great idea.

By the time Animax reveal a simulcast, and I use that term very loosely, I'm already two thirds through the shows they reveal. I'm certainly not going to then pay them for the privilege of getting to watch the remaining third of the season late, after I'm likely to have read spoilers on Twitter.

Speaking of Animax, 10 episodes of Overlord and 2 episodes of Rampo Kitan have 0 days left. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never actually used Animax. I really hope that 0 days left does not mean they're already unavailable for the unfortunate souls that pay for Animax.

Rui said:
So long as AL is trying to get all of their shows on as many platforms as possible I'm ok with it. It makes sense for content providers to try to get their stuff out there as widely as they can.

I really resent Animax getting exclusives when their free service is unusable by anyone not already deeply immersed in the industry with infinite free time to constantly check for updates, and their paid service is little better. It's the worst user experience of any digital media provider I've ever used, and while I resisted making fun of them for as long as I could (I even sent them constructive feedback back in 2013 when I thought they might listen), the way they keep licensing things and producing new content without addressing any of the gaping usability flaws in their site seems to be a non-verbal middle finger to the anime viewing market.

It's like they have never once in 2 years actually sat down and thought about how users interact with the site and why services like Crunchyroll are so much better. It really ticks me off. I wish they would open a dialogue with customers instead of acting like they already know what they're doing when it's abundantly obvious that they do not. If not for Grav's simulcast threads I seriously wouldn't know they had ever licensed anything at all in the last two years.

Sorry for ranting off the back of your post, Andrew, it has nothing directly to do with AL!

R

Totally get you on all points and don't worry - I didn't feel it was aimed at me :)! Nah it raises good points about engagement but the one thing platforms like Viewster have highlighted actually (as much as a learning curve as they have had) is that you benefit more from a UK-centric platform than a worldwide one for anime specifically in terms of content curation, communication and in terms of actual engagement really.

None of which Animax has particularly excelled in to date but you never know, that may be re-examined (who knows if it's too little too late there but everyone deserves a chance to correct mistakes there).

AP

st_owly said:
I agree with wanting to get your stuff out there as widely as possible. I just don't see the appeal of that service to the casual fan, especially now Crunchyroll is available on UK PS devices. I don't think many casual fans are going to go "Hey, look at all that content behind a paywall, and there's hardly anything available for free. I'm going to pay!" Nope. They're gonna go "oh, there's nothing for free here" and go elsewhere. I've tried sending them constructive feedback too, but I'd have been as well talking to a brick wall.

@Rui - Their free service is unusable to anyone period.

I think the system definitely needs some revisions - on a personal level I just like more interaction between system and consumer for an anime specific platform really though. Neither service has delivered that there to date which is, in my opinion, a huge failing as we're not Netflix - our industry is personal and whether it's 1,000 fans who use it or 100,000, there should be a connection there beyond an internet one to stream however good (or bad) the tech is.

That's my personal preference, regardless we of course can and do support where we can all key platforms Ad Supported and Subscription based (Animax, Crunchyroll, Netflix, Viewster et al).

AP

I wonder whether it's worth opening up a discussion here outlining what we all find annoying about Animax's service as constructive criticism (trying to minimise the negativity we all feel for the purpose of reaching out, otherwise the legendary 'bunch of jokers' thread would be appropriate). They ignore individuals sending in polite suggestions since they think they know it all already, but if they see several people explaining why they aren't interested in paying then perhaps something will eventually get through to them. They're obviously spending a lot of money running the service so it's utterly stupid that they're doing it in a way which pisses everyone off. Maybe Andrew can slip them a link during his next licensing deal :p

I have plenty of money and want to watch Rampo Kitan so it really annoys me that I can't because it's on such a crummy service.

I'll try throwing something together.

R

One thing that Animax does that I like, is their late night anime slot.

Although having it on Scuzz for a few weeks didn't seem to go down so well on social media, I wonder if it created any new fans...

From what I've gathered about Animax, it seems that the UK division is only a very tiny part of their wider global operation. For example, they're really big in Asia (ie. Philippines, Malaysia, places like that) I think. From my experience, when a streaming company is operating on a global level like that, if they happen to get rights for other territories, they'll just switch the service 'on' for those territories, but beyond that will make very little effort.

So from our perspective, it looks like they don't really care and are close to closing up shop, but it might be merely that there never was much of an operation here in the first place and we're just getting the dregs of a wider picture. I think someone even commented that their app was just a slightly re-skinned version of the web client adapted to work in app-format.

Let's be honest, these companies probably don't have much cash to work with, and from having worked in a streaming company myself, it can take months if not a year for serious improvements to get implemented, especially if you only have one or two app developers to hand.

The reason Animax is big in Asia is probably because their service is actually good there. Real simulcasts, a television tie-in and local websites which seem aimed at the community rather than a non-existent market of avid Bleach fans who have somehow yet to watch Bleach (as far as I can tell this is their entire business plan).

Even if their apps aren't that good it would still have cost them a fair amount to develop and release them. There's so much they can do to improve, even if it's just to clean up their attitude whenever they interact with the fans. Viewster is making a mockery of them already even though they still don't have premium services and I'm not that keen on the loot crate idea.

R

I haven't been keeping up with the thread lately, but is there a reason why all the Manga Entertainment streams have been removed from the list?

Edit: Nevermind. On closer inspection, I see that, while they still have some individual episodes left, most of their content is down.

I believe this was down to when Manga were sold by Starz - essentially all the Manga content disappeared. Their distribution is now handled by Platform Entertainment, ie. the renamed Anchor Bay.

I just hope that One Punch Man will be available on Crunchyroll next season - i want to be able to stream it on my PS4 in the highest quality available

Actually it was co-licenced by Daisuki and Viz Media Europe (and Viz Media), so is likely to be shared by Animax and Daisuki. I'm guessing this rules out the possibility of a Crunchyroll delaycast too.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but i just looked on Netflix and Aldnoah.Zero Eps 1-12 (Japanese audio w/ English subs) are now on UK Netflix.

Thread Updated.

Section L can't fit into Post 1, so it's been moved into Post 2. Dat 60000 character limit. :lol:

New Additions:

A-K:
- Aldnoah.Zero - Netflix (S1)
- Anime de Training! EX (Anitore! EX) - Crunchyroll
- Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon (Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai) - Crunchyroll
- Aria the Scarlet Ammo AA (Hidan no Aria AA) - Animax UK
- The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) - Crunchyroll - Daisuki
- Attack on Titan: Junior High (Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou) - Animax UK
- Basquash! - Viewster
- Beautiful Bones -Sakurako’s Investigation- (Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru) - Crunchyroll
- Beelzebub - Crunchyroll
- Black Butler (Kuroshitsuji) - Netflix
- Bleach - Netflix (S1/S2/S3)
- Blood Blockade Battlefront (Kekkai Sensen) - Animax UK
- Brave Beats - Crunchyroll
- Bottom Biting Bug 4 (Oshiri Kajiri Mushi 4th Season) - Crunchyroll
- Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis (Cardfight!! Vanguard G: Gears Crisis-hen) - Crunchyroll - Daisuki
- Comet Lucifer - Viewster
- Concrete Revolutio (Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou) - Daisuki
- Dance With Devils - Animax UK
- DD Fist of the North Star: Strawberry Flavour (Hokuto no Ken: Ichigo Aji) - Crunchyroll
- DD Fist of the North Star II (DD Hokuto no Ken II) - Crunchyroll
- Diabolik Lovers II: More,Blood - Crunchyroll
- Fafner: Dead Aggressor: Exodus S2 - Crunchyroll
- The File of Young Kindaichi Returns 2 (Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns 2nd Season) - Crunchyroll
- HackaDoll the Animation - Crunchyroll - Daisuki
- Haikyu!! Season 2 - Crunchyroll
- Hakone (Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan) - Crunchyroll
- Heavy Object - Animax UK
- Is the Order a Rabbit?? (Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka??) - Crunchyroll
- JK-MESHI! - Crunchyroll
- K: Return of Kings - Viewster
- Kagewani - Crunchyroll
- Key the Metal Idol - Viewster
- Komori-san Can't Decline (Komori-san wa Kotowarenai!) - Crunchyroll

L-Z:
- Lance N' Masques - Crunchyroll
- Lovely Muuuuuuuco! (Itoshi no Muco) - Crunchyroll
- Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic - Netflix
- Magical Somera-chan (Fushigi na Somera-chan) - Crunchyroll
- Miss Monochrome -The Animation- 3 - Crunchyroll
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (Kidou Senshi Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans) - Crunchyroll - Daisuki
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED Destiny) - GundamInfo Official YouTube
- Monogatari series: Owarimonogatari - Crunchyroll - Daisuki
- Monster Strike - Monster Strike Official YouTube
- Mr. Osomatsu (Osomatsu-kun) - Crunchyroll
- Noragami Aragoto - Animax UK (S2)
- One Punch Man - Animax UK - Daisuki
- The Peeping Life TV Season 1?? - Crunchyroll
- The Perfect Insider (Subete ga F ni Naru) - Crunchyroll
- Seraph of the End (Owari no Seraph) - Viewster (S2)
- The Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Taizai) - Netflix (Available November 1st)
- Shomin Sample (Ore ga Ojousama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Gets♥Sareta Ken) - Animax UK
- Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note - Crunchyroll
- Teekyu 6 - Crunchyroll
- The Testament of Sister New Devil Burst (Shinmai Maou no Testament Burst) - Crunchyroll
- Utawarerumono: False Mask (UTAWARERUMONO -Itsuwari no Kamen-) - Crunchyroll
- Valkyrie Drive -Mermaid- - Animax UK
- World Trigger: Fugitives from Another World (World Trigger: Isekai kara no Toubousha) - Crunchyroll
- Young Black Jack - Crunchyroll
- Yuru Yuri Season 3 (Yuru Yuri San☆Hai!) - Crunchyroll

Once I saw the news about Seven Deadly Sins coming to Netflix in NormanicGrav's latest reply, I let out a gasp of excitement and my colleagues at work now think I'm a complete nutter

I think the biggest surprise about Seven Deadly Sins is that Netflix aren't getting mauled for the ridiculous delay, like any other provider would have been...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back