Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

I'm curious if this may be handy for Aniplex hauls, considering UP1 charges SRP with the handling fee often being the reason why UP1 prices are better than TRSI.
I spoke to UP1 about the changes earlier in the month and apart from EU changes they weren't expecting too much to change their end, they already are charged tax our end, so no different to before.

I spoke to UP1 about the changes earlier in the month and apart from EU changes they weren't expecting too much to change their end, they already are charged tax our end, so no different to before.
Yeah, but once the pandemic has been sorted, Rightstuf should in theory go back to their usual shipping selection (as they're stuck giving us their $30 FedEx option than their $12 option) and therefore would be cheaper to import through TRSI than UP1 for select titles like Aniplex. Pricing-wise right now it's $166 total (without VAT etc.) for 2 Monogatari volumes on both TRSI via FedEx and UP1, so it's still better for me to stick with UP1 in the meantime unless they want to lower the price a bit if the handing fee ain't an issue anymore.

Yeah, but once the pandemic has been sorted, Rightstuf should in theory go back to their usual shipping selection (as they're stuck giving us their $30 FedEx option than their $12 option) and therefore would be cheaper to import through TRSI than UP1 for select titles like Aniplex. Pricing-wise right now it's $166 total (without VAT etc.) for 2 Monogatari volumes on both TRSI via FedEx and UP1, so it's still better for me to stick with UP1 in the meantime unless they want to lower the price a bit if the handing fee ain't an issue anymore.
No idea going forward, we'll find out when things settle down a bit, TRSi are still over stretched, staff wise last I heard, so even if the pandemic was gone tomorrow it would be months before things even started to return to a "normal" state.
That's without even mentioning the logistics sector (couriers/postal)
I'll stick with UP until things become clearer.

No idea going forward, we'll find out when things settle down a bit, TRSi are still over stretched, staff wise last I heard, so even if the pandemic was gone tomorrow it would be months before things even started to return to a "normal" state.
That's without even mentioning the logistics sector (couriers/postal)
I'll stick with UP until things become clearer.
Yeah I don't expect the shipping situation to be sorted for at least the next six months, and honestly as long as the UK pound improves against the US dollar I don't mind sticking with UP1 for the long term.

Amazon Worldwide (including Global Store) has been added to retailers still shipping to the UK (it now states VAT, rather than import fees on checkout).

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but didn't overseas Amazon websites stop selling to Australia since they imposed a new GST law, and the only way the Australians can get US items is through the Global Store on Amazon Australia?

I could be wrong but isn't that for if your a business vs just a regular customer where you would obviously not be expected to do that. I took a look at the EORI link and it states

before you apply​

To apply you need your:

• VAT number and effective date of registration (if you’re VAT registered) - these are on your VAT registration certificate
  • National Insurance number - if you’re an individual or a sole trader
  • Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) - find your UTR if you do not know it
  • business start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code - these are in the Companies House register
  • Government Gateway user ID and password

meaning that having a business is a prerequisite

You still need one if you are an individual buying something to import into the UK as you need to pay the VAT up front instead of waiting for a ransom note from RM.

I only know because an an artist I bought something off emailed me to say they need my EORI number due to the changes and someone I know who uses the same US forwarding company informed me.

also once you have provided the parcel forwarder your Eori number do they then take the customs payment at the time you ask them to dispatch the item or is it case you have to login to a certain link and then pay the customs to hmrc?

I believe that orders that were placed before the end of the year are shielded from the new rules around VAT registration, so they probably don't need to adjust your old orders anyway. I hated the old Right Stuf shipping with tax on arrival anyway so might get me ordering from them again!

R
Just received emails from rightstuf that for orders shipping after 1st January that they will need to take the taxes and handling fees now via deposit.

Email says
Greetings from Right Stuf!

With the changes in the collection of duty and tax on UK orders that go into effect with the new year, we are reaching out to customers who have a current order which will not be shippable before January 1.

Recent tax law changes obligate Right Stuf, as the exporter, to collect UK VAT and Duty at the point of sale.

In order to address this change, we will need to inject into your order a deposit for the requisite Customs Duty and VAT that is due. Also please note that this amount will include a small credit card payment handling fee. This is to ensure that your product is delivered correctly without difficulty, and means this product will be delivered to your door without COD collection upon shipment. This is the Duty and VAT estimate provided to us and should be accurate. If for some reason this amount is in error, we will contact you to let you know why and address any difference.

Should there not be Duty or VAT applicable to your order, there won't be any fees added.

If you have paid with a credit card, we will simply add this amount to your order. If you paid by PayPal, we will be reaching out to you to deal with the collection of payment, as this is going to be a manual process. If you would prefer that we cancel your order and not address this change, please let us know as soon as possible. All previously placed orders going to the UK will be held until this process is completed.

Just received emails from rightstuf that for orders shipping after 1st January that they will need to take the taxes and handling fees now via deposit.

The very last clause of that document explains what I meant:

Goods sold before 1 January 2021
If the online marketplace receives payment for an order before 11pm on 31 December 2020 and dispatches the item after that time, these rules will not apply.

Therefore if TRSI was the VAT-registered party and making the filing and you paid up-front, your orders would be fine even if they shipped a little after the year end. But if they haven't actually processed the order yet it's technically an order from 2021 :(

R, whose day job might involve these rules lately as well

I'm not sure Rightstuf has properly sorted their new prepaid tax thing. I made a new order the other day with them that included the prepaid Duties & Taxes within the total, at check out and in the invoice, but then they only charged my Paypal with the subtotal that didn't include the Duties & Taxes. It has now just been sitting at 'Pending Approval'...

Sorry if I’m asking a silly question here but I’m finding all this import stuff a little confusing. It’s been quite some time since I’ve done it aswell. I’ve ordered a few items from Amazon via the Global Store... to the Uk... I’m right in thinking that there won’t be any charges as the take all that into account, Is that correct? And same with UP1?

Sorry also meant to ask if I order something from the US to here in the UK via Ebay that’s around £70 what charges can I expect to pay?

Sorry if I’m asking a silly question here but I’m finding all this import stuff a little confusing. It’s been quite some time since I’ve done it aswell. I’ve ordered a few items from Amazon via the Global Store... I’m right in thinking that there won’t be any charges as the take all that into account, Is that correct? And same with UP1?
Yes, what you pay on the what you see on the global store option is the payment total (though just check the delivery as it's not always shown on the preview search). No more, no less. As for the second question, if you go to the checkout and before the final payment, all will be shown in terms of delivery and import tax. So, if it's £70 there, thats all.

Last edited:
Back