Where to Buy Anime in the UK (was Anime Online Retailers)

Tind said:
Someone who ordered from Rightstuf before, please tell me what does Rightstuf use to fulfill international orders? Courier or postal service?

They use a freight forwarder called Brokers Worldwide who drop things into the US postal service, at least to the UK. BW may use different forwarding rules for different destinations.

When the package enters the UK it's either delivered by Royal Mail if it's small/light/low value (we are not sure what the exact criteria are) or Parcelforce's international courier service if it's seen as more important.

For special items (e.g. the Fate/Zero set where you have to pay a $10 surcharge overseas) Rightstuf use Fedex.

R

Sweet! I asked them for that and they said they would look into it, but I didn't realise they'd gone ahead.

R

Maybe I've been spoilt by budget releases but... those Dennō Coil prices. DVDs just seem so worthless now that BD exists. On the plus side, Honey & Clover and Nana seem more reasonable.

"Is this item cheaper on our USA website?" Why, yes it is. Am I supposed to tell them so they can put the price down on the UK site or what?

I imagine that if you buy from the US site you're liable for import duties, but from the UK site they're shipped by Royal Mail here. Never tried the former, though.

R

Yeah, I'd imagine that's the case. Just wondering why that statement is there on the UK site if so - Also why the prices would be different anyway. UP1 are British, yes? Surely if they've any sense of patriotism they should be equalising the prices to bring them down for us and passing the costs on to the Yanks...

I assume they keep stuff in a warehouse there and are happy to sell it to the locals if they want it so much, rather than it sitting there unsold. I don't know why they have the line there on the site though. Perhaps for the huge market of anime-buying Brits who have US houses too to hold their parcels...

R

Hmm. Might drop them a line and see if customs charges can be "avoided". £65 for Dennō Coil is bearable (by *my* standards I hasten to add, pre-empting WTF comments from both ends of the wealth spectrum as seems to be the normal reaction these days) but £75 is pushing it.

ayase said:
Hmm. Might drop them a line and see if customs charges can be "avoided". £65 for Dennō Coil is bearable (by *my* standards I hasten to add, pre-empting WTF comments from both ends of the wealth spectrum as seems to be the normal reaction these days) but £75 is pushing it.

Don't you mean £79.50 (38.00x2 + 3.50 p&p)?

Note - the high prices for the dvds probably includes any import duties (the same as for R1 dvds) although it would probably help to confirm it.

They don't offer any discounts for the Australian DVDs, except for one, which perhaps suggests they couldn't get the sort of wholesale discounts they can for their US and UK releases.

DVDs are expensive in Australia (try to find a retailer offering 20-40% off like Amazon and co. do here) and the AUD has been kicking the GBP's **** for a long time now. Taking all that into consideration, the prices aren't bad. I wonder if they'll stock Madoka...

Oh, and those are good prices for Nana and Honey & Clover. I paid a fair bit more for the US sets.

Just Passing Through said:
The prices do need to come down a tad. If I buy from Devoted DVD, add postage and the customs charge, it's still cheaper than UP1 at the moment.
I just took Usagi Drop to checkout and the total was £25 + £5 postage. If the package fell into the hands of customs that's £5 on top, plus £8 for the Royal Mail, taking the full reaming to a whopping £43. But a few people have reported that their packages from Devoted escaped unscathed, so it may be a moot point.

At UP it's £39.50 including postage.

I figure UP1 knows that some people will be willing to risk a potential tax hit weighted against possibly getting through unscathed and cheaper?

I'm cool with UP1 getting Aussie Imports, hopefully at least I can order Usagi Drop and Digimon Collection 2 sometime soon and hopefully in the future they can increase their catalogue :)

I'm kind of hoping to see Aussie Madoka & K-on! releases appear on there but considering other sets have been on there for a while I won't be building my hopes up too much!

Unless it shipped already just email them and point it out, they have discounted money from orders for me before in similar situations.

Are 1UP good, never ordered from them before but seeing the Digimon Collection has made me want to give them a try.

Back