what's thee most important thing in the world to you

Rui said:
Ok, I've always wondered about this and it sort of bothers me even though I know you're speaking mostly in jest here. Why do people say girlfriends cost so much? I'm genuinely curious. I spend money doing things with my other half too, but it's stuff I'd want to do anyway, and he's certainly no worse off financially for being in a relationship.

R

I think it goes back to that stereotypical caveman way of dealing with things.... the man is the provider and the woman gives him children, its moved on from them basics over the hundreds of years... men must be gentlemen and open doors, help seat the woman to a table, pay for the meals still, treat them well.

Personally i like to treat my missus to a meal or a night out because i like to see her smile, we both know its not a case of i HAVE to pay, i just pay because its a treat. She pays for my meals when i go round hers (whether that be a take out or food for us to cook.... she's actually in ASDA's right now picking up food for dinner tonight lol)

I don't really care too much about it, i payed over a £1,400 for both of us to go to Egypt in july, 2 weeks all inclusive. Reason i payed? its her birthday and i had the spare money to spend. So thats her birthday present, she knows it won't be happening again every year but thankful that i've done it. She treats me to stuff too so as i said in another thread, love is a balancing act (for the most part its an easy thing to balance for me and kayls)

But if you're balancing it, then it would all come out in the wash surely, and it wouldn't be expensive? I might pay for a meal here and there for my husband, but if he is doing the same for me, overall we have spent the same as we would have done anyway.

I personally like to think of myself as an equal to a man, so it would bother me very deeply if I was treated differently. I have a job and an income so if I came across a post by my husband teasing that I'm expensive to care for I'd feel somewhat ashamed.

I can see how the provider model makes sense when one of the pair is staying at home to care for children etc, but when both are able to work it doesn't feel right.

R, who holds doors open for men and women

Rui said:
But if you're balancing it, then it would all come out in the wash surely, and it wouldn't be expensive? I might pay for a meal here and there for my husband, but if he is doing the same for me, overall we have spent the same as we would have done anyway.

Yeah, what i was saying was (may have come out jumbled) but basically i treat her because i like to do so every so often, for the most part we both pay out equal amounts, if i pay for a meal when we go out, she pays for food or a take out when we stay in. overall were spending the same amount.

Rui said:
I can see how the provider model makes sense when one of the pair is staying at home to care for children etc, but when both are able to work it doesn't feel right.

Yeah i know, its like i said befor ethough. that way of thinking goes back as far as caveman times, its grown further since then (instead of just providing for the woman, a bloke has to be a gentleman and help whenever possible) Its a Naive way of thinking, that women need men. But sadly thats not going to change anytime soon (hell the way of thinking has been around for thousands of years now)

Lawrence said:
Tachi- said:
Yeah i know, its like i said before though. that way of thinking goes back as far as caveman times, its grown further since then (instead of just providing for the woman, a bloke has to be a gentleman and help whenever possible) Its a Naive way of thinking, that women need men. But sadly thats not going to change anytime soon (hell the way of thinking has been around for thousands of years now)

I disagree, if women really needed men, do you think there would be so many single mothers in this country or better still do you think there would be so many lesbians?

Chivalry is important in society but it should go both ways for each sex, if you can hold a door for a woman, you can hold the door open for a man as well.

Stu, do you actually read anything i post or is this some sort of half assed man hunt? trying to read into things that aren't there.

re-read what i wrote ¬___¬

Lawrence said:
Tachi- said:
Yeah i know, its like i said before though. that way of thinking goes back as far as caveman times, its grown further since then (instead of just providing for the woman, a bloke has to be a gentleman and help whenever possible) Its a Naive way of thinking, that women need men. But sadly thats not going to change anytime soon (hell the way of thinking has been around for thousands of years now)

I disagree, if women really needed men, do you think there would be so many single mothers in this country or better still do you think there would be so many lesbians?

I also disagree, if women really needed man, then she wouldn't have found such good substitutes such as quorn. See man can spoil quickly no matter how much water you may give it, it needs high levels of angst and liquorice allsorts. Quorns able to take on the flavour whatever you cook it in. I myself am going to boil a pot with some Mio Akiyama, to it tasting like my waifu

Rui said:
Ok, I've always wondered about this and it sort of bothers me even though I know you're speaking mostly in jest here. Why do people say girlfriends cost so much?
Because of the extra cost involved? >_>

Back