What manga are you reading now?

Also listened to The Burning God by RF Kuang
Do you think you'll go on to read/listen to her latest bestseller, Babel? She's something of a phenomenon in SFF fiction atm, having achieved so much at a very young age. As an observer of SFF trends, I'm still wondering about the current popularity of grimdark and relentlessly bleak fiction like Kuang's. (And also wondering if you've encountered any of Aliette de Bodard's imaginative SFF fiction, in this case a writer with a Vietnamese/French background, who's very readable and somewhat less grim.)

Do you think you'll go on to read/listen to her latest bestseller, Babel? She's something of a phenomenon in SFF fiction atm, having achieved so much at a very young age. As an observer of SFF trends, I'm still wondering about the current popularity of grimdark and relentlessly bleak fiction like Kuang's. (And also wondering if you've encountered any of Aliette de Bodard's imaginative SFF fiction, in this case a writer with a Vietnamese/French background, who's very readable and somewhat less grim.)

I'm always open to suggestions but tend to just end up listening to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series again for a bit of levity when I want SFF mostly XP I will look up Aliette de Bodard :)

I may well give Babel a go eventually but not in a hurry to right now. I read the first 2 quite close together as really enjoyed the first one but the 2nd one got so bleak and the MC became really unlikeable, despite the fact what was happening to her should have made her more sympathetic, that I left a large gap before coming back to finish the last one.

I've never been super into grimdark stuff. I grew up on Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin who deal in comedic and surreal SFF. Currently I'd say Brandon Sanderson is my favourite author by some margin and whilst he can be serious its never grimdark.

I haven't come across Aliette de Bodard before actually but I'll keep an eye out and see what's on audible thanks!

I've never been super into grimdark stuff. I grew up on Terry Pratchett and Robert Rankin who deal in comedic and surreal SFF
On the comedic and surreal front, Pratchett fan here too - but it's been a while since I saw Robert Rankin mentioned! Do you like Jasper Fforde? (The Thursday Next books are old favourites.)

On the comedic and surreal front, Pratchett fan here too - but it's been a while since I saw Robert Rankin mentioned! Do you like Jasper Fforde? (The Thursday Next books are old favourites.)
Yeah Robert Rankin kind of disappeared but he's still active. I think his recent books have only had ebook releases which is a bit disappointing and meant I haven't kept up with them. I met him once when he came to my local book store (think it was an Otakars [sp?] at the time) for a signing of Waiting For Godalming and he was really nice and funny and told stories to the 10 or so of us who had turned up.

I don't know Jasper Fforde, another one for the list!

My favourite Discworld books of the ones I've read are Mort and Guards! Guards! :)
My favourite is Jingo. The Sam Vimes arc across the series is magnificent. Though in general I think his later books are his best overall. Starting with The Truth the was a shift in writing that cemented itself with Going Postal and they were all excellent after that. I haven't actually read his last book as I just can't bring myself for it to be over. I've read the first page several times and just can't do it. Terry Pratchett was such a big and formative part of developing my tastes for fiction during secondary school.

My favourite Discworld books of the ones I've read are Mort and Guards! Guards! :)
It's really difficult to choose a favourite, but anything with Sam Vimes or the witches is always good (I have a soft spot for Witches Abroad and Greebo, one of my favourite fictional cats. And of course, the Librarian!) Also, it's non-Discworld, but I also have a soft spot for The Bromeliad (Truckers, Diggers and Wings) with the Store and The Book of Nome. :)

Who Says Warriors Can't be Babes vol 3 (complete)
It had some funny moments, but unfortunately unfunny moments outweighed them. The titular Warrior gets treated as manly rather than a strong woman a bit too much. You can tell it was cut short as well as there's a jump in the, admittedly fairly loose, story between the penultimate chapter and the last one.
The art was OK, nothing special.
6/10

Glad to receive actual paper-and-print manga this week from Seven Seas!
THE ANCIENT MAGUS’ BRIDE Vol. 16 by Kore Yamazaki. Now we know that this arc is being animated, do I feel better disposed toward it? I still feel as if Yamazaki is a little out of her depth here: the main problem with writing a 'magic college' set story in London has been that there are way too many new characters and few of them have been given enough page time to make a lasting impression. This volume, however, begins to draw matters to a head, so is worth reading if you're a Chise and Elias fan (as I am).

SERVAMP Vol. 17 by Strike Tanaka has not been granted another anime TV series, sadly - and this, also, is building towards its grand finale/showdown with the Eighth Servamp Tsubaki whose plans have been revealed. With Mahiru and Sloth faraway in London (what is it about London?!) the last few remaining members of C3 are gathering in Tokyo to try to mount a counter-offensive.

And a rare paperback - and final volume - from Kodansha:
Knight of the Ice
Volume 11 by Yayoi Ogawa. Ah, this is such a heart-warming series! The ups and downs of the relationship of childhood friends as (secret otaku) Kokoro trains as a figure-skater to become her Knight of the Ice and diminutive but strong-willed Chitose who is his inspiration. Ogawa is a hardcore fan of figure-skating and her sketches and drawings are a pleasure to look at. This must be one of the few manga in which the mangaka makes herself a character (masked and in disguise, of course!) - the conversations between her and Chitose are really funny.

Glad to receive actual paper-and-print manga this week from Seven Seas!
THE ANCIENT MAGUS’ BRIDE Vol. 16 by Kore Yamazaki. Now we know that this arc is being animated, do I feel better disposed toward it? I still feel as if Yamazaki is a little out of her depth here: the main problem with writing a 'magic college' set story in London has been that there are way too many new characters and few of them have been given enough page time to make a lasting impression. This volume, however, begins to draw matters to a head, so is worth reading if you're a Chise and Elias fan (as I am).
Happy to hear things are picking up since like you (and as you know) I have been struggling to enjoy this arc since it departed from a lot of what made Ancient Magus’ Bride special. I’ve had volume 16 sat in my online shopping basket for awhile since I wasn’t convinced I wanted to continue on, but hearing your positive thoughts makes me reconsider that and I’ll probably pick it up in the near future. :)

Happy to hear things are picking up since like you (and as you know) I have been struggling to enjoy this arc since it departed from a lot of what made Ancient Magus’ Bride special. I’ve had volume 16 sat in my online shopping basket for awhile since I wasn’t convinced I wanted to continue on, but hearing your positive thoughts makes me reconsider that and I’ll probably pick it up in the near future. :)
I think it's still worth the read - though I understand your reluctance to go ahead with this one. I still think that the earlier volumes worked better and I'm not sure I like the way some of her character design is going; some seem just rather less elegantly drawn (or more crudely, to be blunt). I think you're spot-on in saying that this arc has departed from what made this series special in the first volumes, so I'll be really interested to hear what you think! :)

Back