What manga are you reading now?

The Tales of Marielle Clarac volume 9 (LN) is another excellent volume, but now we're back to being caught up with Japan, so waiting for a new volume will be painful! 😭

Loner Life in Another World volume 6

My Hero Academia: Vigilantes (complete) - Not super impressed with how this one wrapped up. I enjoyed the final arc, but then that final chapter undermines everything it had been building to. I'm especially disappointed that Crawler and Pop didn't get together after all that, given that was the central theme of that arc. It doesn't even seem like they talk to one another anymore??? Definitely a letdown given how good the series has been overall.

Seaside Stranger volume 3 - I can see what you mean @Sarah when you say these chapters have been quite random. I like the underlying themes the author is trying to address, particularly with Mio's growing understanding of who he is and Shun's feelings about their relationship but there's this overriding sense that everything is a bit disjointed in the storytelling department. Hopefully, it comes together a bit better in the volumes to come...

Recently started watching Kaiji and fell in love with it so I had to pick up the manga. In the middle of reading the first volume right now and I can't get enough, even though I've already seen this so I know what's going to happen, experiencing it in manga form is just as exciting. I love this mangaka's style and it suits the characters perfectly, I don't know why it seems to be so offputting to others just because it's atypical.
The series is just so fantastically human and keeps you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next, or how will he get himself out of this situation. Kaiji himself already scores a spot in my favourite characters and looking forward to complete the manga.

My Dress-Up Darling volumes 4-5 - All caught up now!

Ayashimon (complete, WSJ) - Another series ended before its time.

The Otherworlder, Exploring the Dungeon volume 2 (LN)
The Dark History of the Reincarnated Villainess volume 5
Horimiya volume 5
Girlfriend, Girlfriend volume 5

Lots of volume 5's! 😆

TenPuru vol 1
Just checking to see if I want to continue, as it's in a coin back event.
A harem manga set in a convent! There's 3 sisters and a few other girls living there and so far the comedy is mostly generic harem fair, a bit of slapstick, misunderstandings and the classic accidental groping!
Not the funniest thing ever, but the main girl is cute (haven't really got to know the others too well).

Finished The Graveyard Book, really enjoyed it, now listening to The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, as read by Jim Dale (the narrator from the TV series Pushing Daisies) :)

Hanamonogatari LN
Really enjoyed this one. Kanbaru is my favourite character is the series so to have a story told from her point of view is great for me.

And some comics:
The Modern Frankenstein
The perils of ego and a man who thinks he can save the world no matter what lines he crosses
Beneath Us 1
A tsumani ravages an island nation but also brings forth creepy horrors from the depths!

Ninja Girls vol 1 (dropped)
Thought I'd check this out whilst the rest was still in the coin back event.
Despite the tags it's not particularly funny and the story doesn't know if it wants to be serious or not, also despite the preview pages it's not particularly ecchi and 1 of the 3 girls in the harem turns out to be a bloke, so it should have had a BL tag as well the way he's trying to seduce the MC, really not my cup o' tea!

Ninja Girls vol 1 (dropped)
Thought I'd check this out whilst the rest was still in the coin back event.
Despite the tags it's not particularly funny and the story doesn't know if it wants to be serious or not, also despite the preview pages it's not particularly ecchi and 1 of the 3 girls in the harem turns out to be a bloke, so it should have had a BL tag as well the way he's trying to seduce the MC, really not my cup o' tea!

Does anyone else have a more favourable opinion of this? Sounds kind of interesting if it's a harem with girls and guys :)

Happy Sugar Life vols 9 & 10 (complete)
Fly away.
Seems the anime adapted all of the manga, I had wondered if the ending was different because the decision making was a bit dumb, but you could say within character. The ending could have been more moving if I was more invested in the relationship, but the MC is a psychopath and a murderer so I couldn't really root for her, but she was still a compelling character, and the other one is a child! The other characters are all different kinds of broken people and it was a tough read at times, but again they were, mostly, interesting.
The art wasn't much different from how I remember the anime, but being in black and white lent a bit more atmosphere to the darker moments.
Probably give it the same as the anime:
7/10

Lost Lad London #1 by Shima Shinya - Yen Press (and yes, it is set in London!) Intriguing murder mystery. Review to follow.
Viewfinder #11 by Ayano Yamane - SuBLime (print copy at last!)
Yarichin Bitch Club #4 by Tanaka Ogeretsu - SuBLime (print copy at long last + very nice art booklet)
Our Colors by Gengoroh Tagame - Pantheon Press - review to follow.
Servamp #16 (not sure if I mentioned this earlier?) by Strike Tanaka - Seven Seas, which finds Maharu and his Servamp Kuro still in London, trying to work out how to defeat Tsubaki back in Tokyo.
what did you eat yesterday? #18 Fumi Yoshinaga - Vertical. More delightful slice-of-life tales of cooking with recipes for avocado tuna cheese toast and tempura soba (amongst others).

Good to hear that you enjoyed it! :) Just wondering if it would be an idea to have a separate thread on here for audiobooks, especially as there are now a growing number of light novels available in this popular format?

I don't mind either way but I can understand why you're suggesting it - I find it easier in a way to just post all my reads and listens here, but one advantage of a separate thread would be more discussion specifically with other audiobook listeners who frequent this forum. In my Audiobook library, I have all or most of the Nisioisin Monogatari ones they've released, the first three Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the first Spice and Wolf one and both versions of Vampire Hunter D Novel 1 (full cast dramatization with sound FX and music and single reader unabridged) :) There was a thread for other non-LN/manga books but no-one posts there much so when I do read other novels I just mention it here, self-fulfilling prophecy maybe? I'm also not always the best at writing down in depth analysis even though I'm perfectly capable of it in my mind and not sure what others might expect (that's a me thing though tbf, just as in I would like to take part in more discussion of all types of books and media on here if others want it too but I guess I'm not very confident and somewhat inconsistent cuz of how much time it can take to do things with my health problems, sorry I'm rambling a lil bit now). Who else here likes/listens to audiobooks? :)

I don't mind either way but I can understand why you're suggesting it - I find it easier in a way to just post all my reads and listens, here but one advantage of a separate thread would be more discussion specifically with other audiobook listeners who frequent this forum. In my Audiobook library, I have all or most of the Nisioisin Monogatari ones they've released, the first three Legend of the Galactic Heroes, the first Spice and Wolf one and both versions of Vampire Hunter D Novel 1 (full cast dramatization with sound FX and music and single reader unabridged) :) There was a thread for other non-LN/manga books but no-one posts there much so when I do read other novels I just mention it here, self-fulfilling prophecy maybe? I'm also not always the best at writing down in depth analysis even though I'm perfectly capable of it in my mind and not sure what others might expect (that's a me thing though tbf, just as in I would like to take part in more discussion of all types of books and media on here if others want it too but I guess I'm not very confident and somewhat inconsistent cuz of how much time it can take to do things with my health problems, sorry I'm rambling a lil bit now). Who else here likes/listens to audiobooks? :)
I'm really interested in the growth in popularity of audiobooks in general atm - although I don't - yet - listen to them myself.

And I'm fascinated to learn that you've already gone for some of these titles (how great to have sound FX, full cast and music!). :)Even a line or two is helpful for other potential readers/listeners/watchers if you've enjoyed something, I think - if I see someone recommending a title, it always makes me interested to find out more about it! :)

The Whole Of Humanity Has Gone Yuri Except For Me
I got this after it was reviewed here as it sounded interesting and I really enjoyed it. I liked the way the mystery unfolded. The art was good and I really like the main pair.

And a western comic
Samantha F*cks The World
AI sex robot gets online and conquers humanity. Hilarious and ridiculous.

Good to hear that you enjoyed it! :) Just wondering if it would be an idea to have a separate thread on here for audiobooks, especially as there are now a growing number of light novels available in this popular format?

There was a thread for other non-LN/manga books but no-one posts there much so when I do read other novels I just mention it here, self-fulfilling prophecy maybe?
Tbh I'm the same. Be it manga, LN, audiobooks of LN or comics I just post here. It's quite nice to have everything in one place.

If someone made a thread to discuss audiobooks of LN I would join in. Having only discovered them recently I have enjoyed the few I've listened to. Overlord 1 and 2 and Reincarnated as the Last of my Kind 1.

Back