What manga are you reading now?

@Peachy @Sarah I’m also interested in knowing if it’s a good spin off. 🤔 Jack Flash is a character from those light novels short story collections from awhile back, so if they’ve done the character justice that could be a lot of fun.
@Peachy: Is this Ancient Magus spin off worth the read? I see there's another one (set in France) publishing soon. (I'm a little wary of spinoffs... ;) )

I'd say its worth a read. It's fun, Jack especially is such an endearing character, (f there was ever an Anime I could see her being popular) I really like her personality. One of the better spin-off's I've read. Convinced me to try the one set in France.

Would you guys recommend the Ancient Magus' Bride manga even if I thought the anime was a mixed bag? (particularly the second half of it). Also I haven't read any of it in a while but I have a couple of more recent volumes of The Girl From the Other Side waiting to be read as I really enjoyed volumes 1-6. I'm thinking of picking up the Denpa release of Inside Mari as my next read cuz I love Shuzo Oshimi. Also keep wanting to pick Lovely Complex back up as I have the complete Viz singles, I liked the anime and I've been watching My Love Story which is making me want more lighthearted fun shoujo stuff to watch/read. I wish I read more manga these days it's just so hard to get myself fired up to do it (which tbh is one of many reasons I like Shuzo Oshimi's stuff you can easily read a whole volume in like half an hour or less) :)

I'd say its worth a read. It's fun, Jack especially is such an endearing character, (f there was ever an Anime I could see her being popular) I really like her personality. One of the better spin-off's I've read. Convinced me to try the one set in France.

Great, sounds like something I definitely need to pick up then. :D

Would you guys recommend the Ancient Magus' Bride manga even if I thought the anime was a mixed bag? (particularly the second half of it).

It depends why you didn't get on with the anime really, since it was a very close adaption of the manga. What I will say is that after where the anime ends the manga moves into a school arc, which is quite different. and might change your opinion somewhat. :)

@RadFemHedonist : I read the (ongoing) manga before I saw the anime (and reviewed it here for the site) - and I recommend it, especially as you've enjoyed nagabe's The Girl from the Other Side (which I also reviewed here). As @Demelza says, the latest arc of Ancient Magus might be of interest too (after the conclusion of the anime). Kore Yamazaki travelled to the UK to do research on several occasions and uses the folklore of these isles in an interesting and original way. I also felt that the anime, very beautiful as it is with its vivid colour palette and very lush score, missed something of the darkness in the manga; stark black and white is sometimes more effective in conveying the ancient 'otherness' lurking just out of sight in our everyday lives.

Tokyo Ghoul chs 79-82 (End of vol 8 & into 9)
Pretty sure we're beyond the first season now, but I also sure I remember some of what I read I've seen in anime form. So I'm guessing Root A isn't totally anime original?

If I Could Reach You volume 3
Man this volume was pretty heavy. A lot of good focus on Kaoru and a great ending. Really interested to see what happens next with Uta and Kaoru's relationship.

Burn the Witch ch 4 (Complete) Can't wait to see what season 2 has in store.

Humans are the Strongest Race ~Starting a Slow Life with an Elf Wife in a Different World~ ch 42

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 149.5 - 150

Wise Man's Granchild ch 53

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime volume 13

Sweat and Soap volume 3

Men's Life volume 4 (complete) - an okay read, got ended early because of the mangaka's health which is a shame. I hope they're feeling better now :(

Heroine for Hire volume 1

A Side Character's Love Story volume 5

Humans are the Strongest Race ~Starting a Slow Life with an Elf Wife in a Different World~ ch 43

I, a Demon Lord, took a Slave Elf as my Wife, but how do I Love Her? Ch 26

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch 133

Miss Caretaker of Sunohara-sou ch 52 - 54

The Rising of the Shield Hero ch 69

Seitokai Yakuindomo ch 572 - 573

Started Spy X Family, almost finished volume 4, will read up to 5 tonight. SO GOOD.
Burn The Witch (Complete) - Interesting, will continue.
The Way of the House Husband 4
Killing Slimes for 300 Years & Maxed out my Level 7 (LN)
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation 7 (LN)
Re:Zero EX 1 (LN)
So I'm a Spider, So What? 9 (LN)

Daytime Shooting Star volume 8
Weathering With You volume 1
Katanagatari omnibus volume 4 (complete, light novel)
Ascendance of a Bookworm volume 9 (light novel)
When the Clock Strikes Z volume 2 (light novel, complete)

Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 1 volume 6
A Sister's All You Need volume 7 (LN)
Koi ni Mudaguchi volume 2 (JP read)
Silver Spoon volume 15 (complete) - a very fitting conclusion to the series. It remained a solid story from beginning to end and I'm really going to miss it.

Fly Me to the Moon volume 2
Snow White with the Red Hair volume 9
Nosatsu Junkie volume 1 (JP read)
Witch Craft Works volumes 3-4

Been on a bit of a Ryoko Fukuyama binge lately. I miss Anonymous Noise and after reading the first volume of Koi ni Mudaguchi, I realised that it was worth taking a look at the rest of her works. Unfortunately none of her other works are available in English (some of Nosatsu Junkie is, but not all of it since it went down with Tokyo Pop), so using it as a good incentive to get more Japanese reading practise in instead. 😅

Back