What manga are you reading now?

Just read all of Boku to Kanojo no Koi Log. Despite the generic start, it's probably one of the best manga I've read in a long time. A++ imouto, would read again.

Also, the description doesn't do it any justice but I suppose that makes it better.

I'm now rereading Tsubasa Chronicles since I finally have all the volumes. Hopefully it'll make more sense this time. I've also started reading Faster than a Kiss by Meca Tanaka, it's cute so far.

@st_owly how is Are You Alice? I already have a Wonderland based series on the go so I'm just wondering if it seems worth the buy?
Also, well done for giving Tsubasa another shot :lol:

Haganai Vol 1 & 2 - love the massively distorted looks the characters get some times, something you'd never normally see happen to a main character in other books

I'm about to read "Horrific “Cults” and Comic Religion Manga after Aum" which is a paper your download here: http://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/en/publicati ... fjournals/ it's under vol 39. I think it mentions how things like death note and 20th century boys were all influenced in some way by the 'Aum incident'. To be honest I'm a bit burnt out on all this 'Aum' reading right now...but this one should be interesting.

Interesting, I guess you were only a child at the time of the sarin gas attack on the subway so you wouldn't have thought about it that much unless directed along those lines. That... makes me feel older than I should. :-/

Exactly, I was only about 5 or 6. To be honest, despite it being a pretty cataclysmic and notorious event for Japan, and me having an interest in Japanese culture, I had absolutely no clue about it whatsoever until maybe a year or two ago, and even then I only knew vaguely of some "subway gas attack by a crazy cult" and that was all. But I decided to do a project recently on the ramifications the 'incident' has had for the religious landscape of Japan, and so began reading up a lot about it. All pretty mental stuff. And Japan's relationship with religion is pretty troubled and contradictory to say the least!

There's also apparently some other Manga author Yoshinori Kobayashi (who himself was an early critic of Aum), who did some heavily nationalistic and revisionist manga that made direct reference to Aum. In fact according to author, Aum was the reason he turned to jingoism, as he saw that Japan's denial of patriotic pride directly lead to a weak minded population who could be swayed by Aum's 'mind control'. Completely baffling. Extreme nationalists did actually capitalise heavily on Aum's violence though, and that's actually one of the main points of the project I did. I can't believe it's now constitutional for school teachers to stand and sing the national anthem at ceremonies. Shocking.

Had a parcel with the Sacred Blacksmith Vol 1 sitting on the side for a few days, was pleasantly surprised to find it was a larger style book. Not that much different from the Anime thus far but I'm hoping it'll get past the point that the Anime stopped at.

Also Haganai Vol 3 - more good stuff (and now I have to wait till Oct for Vol 4)

st_owly said:
@PandoraHane - It's good. I enjoyed the first volume a lot. I'd say it's a "loose" intepretation of the story...

Loose is good :lol: thank you! I think I'll probably give it a shot then. I didn't want that lovely front cover to be the only reason I bought it.

Magic Knight Rayearth Omnibus 1

Now to read the second one! Not my favourite CLAMP series, but reading it shows me it really was just made to have an anime. I find it takes a while to get into it, but once you do it's pretty enjoyable.

Haganai v3. If there's a funnier manga out there at the moment (aside from I Don't Like You At All, Big Brother!) someone needs to tell me about it.

Rosencrantz said:
Haganai Vol 1 & 2 - love the massively distorted looks the characters get some times, something you'd never normally see happen to a main character in other books
YES! Itachi's "fast and loose" approach to character rendering is hilarious. The anime plays it boringly straight in comparison.

Yozora imitating Sena in v3 had me cracking up.

4EhkPTe.jpg

XrtNNAZ.jpg

Back