What manga are you reading now?

Today I started reading Kareshi Kanojo No Jijou after finding the first 6 volumes in a thrift store nearby. I will read thm and look for the rest online :) Pretty nice romance manga from the late 90s

I've only read the first couple of volumes but I have all of the manga and was a massive fan of the anime series, it was one of the first anime series to really get me into anime as I was branching out from Ghibli movies and various other interesting bits available in the UK at the time such as Akira and Makoto Shinkai's first two films, I have the complete US DVD singles set with the artbox. Welcome to the forum, is that your pet in your avatar? :)

A Lily Blooms In Another World LN
Really charming and adorable slice of life, fantasy adventure, yuri isekai love story. The main pair Mitako (the heroine) and Fuuka (the villainess) make for great protagonists. By giving us glimpses into both of their inner monologues it makes both of them really empathetic and sympathetic. The rest of the cast round out the story really well with many having direct links to theme if the book. Namely can 2 women find happiness together and is it OK for them to even try in a world where men make every decision.

It might seem like a heavy theme and the story certainly has its moments of high drama but by and large its a very positive and uplifting read. A story about overcoming the odds, proving oneself (to yourself and others) and fighting for the right to party...sorry, I mean right to be happy.

My only real criticism- if it even counts- is that I wanted there to be more artwork pages. There were chapters which would have made for some stunning insert art but alas only so many pieces could be made I guess.

Anyway if you like yuri, slice of life or gentle fantasy and are looking for an isekai which isn't about another OP dude getting into fights then I really reccomend this one.

Full Clearing Another World Under a Goddess with Zero Beliverers volume 2
A Man and His Cat volume 5

Boys Run the Riot volume 4 (Complete) - Not the worst ending all things considered. I think the LGBT themes were wrapped up well, but less so the rest of it.

Sabikui Bisco volume 1 (LN)
Dragon Daddy Diaries! A Girl Grows to Greatness volume 3 (LN)

Shino Can't Say Her Name
This was good but I'd say rushed. If it had been 2 volumes instead of 1 I think it could've been much better. About a girl who struggles to say certain words including her own name and all the self torment that comes with. It's by the author of Flowers of Evil and the afterword was very interesting and informative as they also have that form of stutter and it seems a lot of the story's incidents stem for actual things that happened to them.

Ryuko
This was excellent. Sexy, violent, gangsters, terrorists, government cover ups and a woman at the center of ot all who just wants to know the truth of her past and what it means for her future. Its 2 volumes and it tells a complete fast paced action story that manages to pack in several flash backs and arcs for multiple characters. It's just really exciting and gets a good blend of dark and hopeful.

I just finished reading My Brother's Husband

I really love this manga! I think the ONLY two themes in all literature is death and love, and this manga focuses on both of them.

I think it was a really good decision to approach Mike being gay through the eyes of a child. It's a very effective way to highlight how prejudices are learnt through society. The everyday lives (and difficulties) of the characters unfold naturally in a manner that is relatable and allows the message of the tale to resonate strongly.

Read the first volume of Lovesick Ellie.
I saw this one was printed in German (German and French have so many good titles that we need in English!) and really wanted it. Turns out it got printed in English recently and I didn't know about it until a month later. I try to stay on top of romance releases so I was really surprised! Of course, I ordered it immediately, and I just got it so I read it today.

I loved the concept - a "pervy" fantasising quiet girl and the popular charismatic subject of her affections who actually has a secret "harsh" side. I already knew this was going to be a lot of fun and unique just by the character concepts.
But I loved it even more than I thought! It's funny and dreamy at the same time. I especially love the characters Ellie and her friend Sara, both are so relatable and I want to be their friends too.

I've pre-ordered volume 2 and this is definitely one of my favourite currently publishing romances. Can't wait for more!

A Girl On The Shore
Oh boy this is a real depressing story. In some ways its like Sundome with all the fun removed and more graphic sex scenes. Its very well told and the artwork is pretty amazing but my god is it a downer.

Your Lie In April: Coda Spanish (bonus manga volume that came with the blu ray collectors set)
A collection of side stories focusing on different characters from the show at various points in their life. Theres also a bunch of 4 panel comics generally set during the time of the main series events. Was a good read and is a nice emotional epilogue after watching the show.

Fairy Tail: 100 Years Quest ch 100

Houkago no Goumon Shoujo ch 112

How Not to Summon a Demon Lord ch 79.1 - 79.2

In Another World With My Smartphone ch 63

Karakai Jouzu no (Moto) Takagi-san ch 213 - 214

Lust Geass ch 42

Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World ch 54 - 55

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime ch 92

The Hero Laughs While Walking the Path of Vengence a Second Time volume 1 (LN)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (WSJ, complete)
Isekai Anime Koubou volume 3 (Complete, JP) - A fairly sweet series that I had fun reading. Would definitely recommend to fans of both how animation is created and isekai stories should it ever get licensed in English.

The Dark History of the Reincarnated Villainess volume 4
UQ Holder! (Complete) - Feels like an end of an era to see this one end. Was a fun ending even if the series got a little silly toward its conclusion.

The Springtime of My Life Began With You volume 5 (Complete) - A sweet romance series that I enjoyed all the way through to the end.

Skip and Loafer volume 3
Super Hxeros volume 5
In the Clear Moonlit Dusk volume 3
Falling Drowning volume 1
My Happy Marriage volume 1 (LN)

@Demelza: What did you feel about this one? I noticed that Manga Bookshelf chose it as one of their Picks of the Week. :)
Really interesting! I thought it was going to be your average happy-go-lucky shoujo storyline, but in fact, there is a lot of depth here since the main character lost eleven years of her memories in an accident six years before the start of the series. While she's occupied by wondering if she's in love with her childhood friend, a transfer student enters her class and clearly knows her from before she lost her memories. Perhaps even being the cause of her accident since he acts cold toward her, almost as though he feels guilty. He already has a good friendship with her love interest implying he was a part of their friendship circle way back when too. 🤔

It's certainly intriguing and I hope the author manages to juggle the central romance as well as the twists and turns of the subplots as the series goes on because I could see it becoming hard to balance. Hopefully, Kodansha won't make us wait too long for Volume 2. 😅

Lady Snowblood vol 4 (complete)
Sex and blood and heads will roll.
A tale of revenge that was quite episodic, with some linked to the overall plot and some were the day job of a hired assassin. Some of the side missions were more interesting than the revenge plot chapters in how she infiltrated the targets location and completed the job. All the reason for the revenge and how she came to be on that journey was interesting, but it also was a bit weird, why bother persuing the people responsible for the death of your mother's husband who wasn't your father and of a half-sibling you never met or even for your mother who deliberately got pregnant to put this burden on the you and that you have also never met? Leaving that aside, Yuki, our MC is an excellent character, smart, sexy and very handy with a sword.
The art style is definitely not the best I've seen and being a much older manga looks a lot different to the modern styles, but it definitely fit the mood of the story. Warning that there is plenty of blood and some r*** scenes, although nothing too gratuitous.
8/10

Back