What manga are you reading now?

Had a manga day yesterday ^_^ I read vol 8-10 of Girl Got Game, vol 10 being the end of the series and thankfully it ended really nicely.
Then I read vol 1 & 2 of Guru Guru Pon Chan, which was a fun romance about a dog who changes into a sweet young girl who falls in love with the cute guy at her mistress's school. It's almost like a magical girl story, but with the main character being a labrador :lol:
I went on to Hana Kimi vol 8, still keeping ontop of the story, but I'm wondering where another 14 volumes will lead, as this series has 22 volumes in total!
Then I read one called Love Roma and it's one of those titles where you can't decide if you like it or not. The artwork was very childlike and the characters were dead ugly. The storyline was very bitty and didn't flow smoothly, but for some reason I still really enjoyed it!

Later today, lack of headache allowing (and up until yesterday, I've had a headache every day for nearly 3 weeks! New glasses on the way ^_^), I shall be rereading Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden vol 1 and then reading my newly aquired vol 2. Plus with luck Full Moon vol 2 & 3 and W Juliet vol 7 ^_^

Finished up Lament Of The Lamb, a rather sad ending but I ultimately felt it was a bit of a let-down. Maybe Im a bit to bloodthirsty but I wanted more death :p

Well I was impressed with Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden vol 1, but vol 2 was even better ^_^ The Genbu 7 are more like the Seiryuu 7 (all mean and moody) and there are some very weird warriors too! I still can't decide if I like Limdo or Tomite the best yet and I have to say I can't wait to see if Takiko's fate is the same as in the storyline of the first Fushigi Yuugi.
I read volume 7 of W Juliet as well yesterday and if there are any shoujo fans out there who haven't read this yet, you really should! If you're a fan of cross dressers, this is definitely one of the better ones out there (apart from Hana Kimi which is my favourite!!).
I also started on volume 1 of Descendents of Darkness, but only read 2 chapters as I got distracted by the BBCs Shakespeare Retold series and have never enjoyed "Much Ado about Nothing" so much :lol: I have to say that the character design in Yami is sooooooooo much better in the manga than in the anime. The guys are really cute in the manga but only so-so in the anime :wink:

Started reading Ghost in the Shell last night. It's got alot more humour than the anime, I loved the bit where Togusa is hiding from his wife and reading some book about "How to find a job" since he thinks he'd get fired for crashing his Fuchikoma earlier :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Necromancer said:
Started reading Ghost in the Shell last night. It's got alot more humour than the anime, I loved the bit where Togusa is hiding from his wife and reading some book about "How to find a job" since he thinks he'd get fired for crashing his Fuchikoma earlier :lol:
Does the book have the unnecessary lesbian sex orgy involving Motoko and two other women on a boat? Batou's expression is priceless.

Yes it does :shock: :D :lol:

Necromancer said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
Necromancer said:
Does the book have the unnecessary lesbian sex orgy involving Motoko and two other women on a boat? Batou's expression is priceless.

Yes it does :shock: :D :lol:
:O Wow I thought it was cut out of the US and Uk releases. Must be a new printing.

I love Batou's assortment of odd shirts in the manga. :lol:

Technically it's not manga, but today I've been reading Van Von Hunter vol 1 (from the winners of the first Rising Stars... competition. It's just the kind of thing that appeals to my sense of humour, so I've also been catching up on the online webcomic version.

I read 2 1/2 more volumes of Descendents of Darkness yesterday. I'm enjoying the later volumes more, as I can still remember so much of the anime that the parts that were used in the anime were a little boring, but the unanimated stories are brilliant. I could never really see any yaoiness in the anime (it vaguely bordered on shounen-ai) but the manga is a whole different ball game (pardon the pun :wink: ). I love the manga-ka's little side notes, she is very opinionated and when people have written to her complaining about different aspects of her stories, she basically tells them; if they don't like it, go read someone elses manga :lol: She's great!
The artwork in the manga version is gorgeous and whereas Tsuzuki is OK-ish in the anime, he's bloody gorgeous in the manga ^_^

Miaka-chan said:
I could never really see any yaoiness in the anime (it vaguely bordered on shounen-ai) but the manga is a whole different ball game (pardon the pun :wink: ).
I've had the first volume for quite a while, and i was thinking of collecting it partly as i had heard it was Yaoi, i hadn't really seen much evidence so far, but it does improve?

Charter_Mage said:
Miaka-chan said:
I could never really see any yaoiness in the anime (it vaguely bordered on shounen-ai) but the manga is a whole different ball game (pardon the pun :wink: ).
I've had the first volume for quite a while, and i was thinking of collecting it partly as i had heard it was Yaoi, i hadn't really seen much evidence so far, but it does improve?
Think of it more as shounen-ai, although there are some rather risque situations in a couple of the later volumes (it's more hinted at with most of the characters, although there are some rather *hot* scenes between Tsuzuki and Muraki ^_^!). I wasn't impressed with vol 1 or 2 even, but vol 3 picked up and by vol 5 I was addicted. I finished reading vol 5, 6 & 7 last night and now I'm intending to get vol 8 which has just been released. It's worth sticking it out, espcially for the ultra sexy Tsuzuki images in later volumes (nearly fainted over one image :wink: ).
It definitely picks up in the yaoi department later in the series and it left me with a taste for something *hotter*, so I read Golden Cain; which was exceptionally good - really nice artwork and character design. Then I finished up by reading Embracing Love and to be honest, although it was pretty good, I actually prefer the anime OVA. There seemed very little difference in the storyline of the 2, yet I've heard people complain that the anime makes the original manga storyline seem sordid. To me, they were both pretty sordid :wink:
I definitely prefer ultra pretty boy yaoi. I still can't get into the butch, chisel jawed yaoi characters - blech!

Good to hear, i will stick with it then, especially for those pictures of Tsuzuki i could nearly faint over :wink: .
And i definitely agree ultra pretty boy yaoi is far better than the chisel jawed kind, i'm not a fan of butch men :lol:

After recently falling in love with the Scryed anime I decided to give the manga a look. Over the weekend I received all five vols, I've made my way through 1-3 already, so I think it's safe to say I'm enjoying it so far. Storywise it takes a completely different route to the anime, and it's certainly a lot grittier in comparison - Kazuma looks completely wild with his alter in full flow and he even loses a limb to Ryuho at one point!

If you're looking for a manga that dabbles in the same issues as the similarly themed 'X-Men' backed up by all the thrills and spills you'd expect from a shounen title, give Scryed a look, I think you just might like it. ;)

I just finished reading Shinobu Kokoro (Hidden Heart). Talk about an excuse for gratuitous yaoi sex :lol: I'm not sure whether the fact the main character (Subaru) looked about 13/14 worried me more than it should; it was like yaoi lolita style! Luckily the story doesn't concentrate on him and there are some very nice side stories as well. It was quite good, but there was definitely more sex than storyline.

I also read volume 1 of Passion, which was actually really good. Quite "soft" in comparison to the above and actually rather romantic!

Back