what japanese name would you give a child?

chaos said:
Rui said:
chaos said:
I liked Rui explanation better, as it seems I've got some dodgy phonetics above. (i'm editing my original post). About Kira - she is right... (had to translate the kanjis tough... you read japanese ? you really surprised me. and yes, the kanjis work for people who have them installed in their computers (don't think most people would have).

:)

I think the name "Kira" has only become popular relatively recently so it will be a while before any significant number of adults appear with their names written that way.

R

Altho the meaning and the words kira and killer sound alike the spelling is a phonetic translation. so in rights...there isn't a correct pronounciation :lol:

I c... BTW, the writing "way" also changes meaning in japanese words... So even though they could have the same phonetics, they could mean different things (for those wondering why Rui wrote Kira in two forms).

Surely in this day and age naming a child pretty much anything is ok isn’t it? I don’t see the beef with it myself. In fact I think many Japanese names, especially girls, sound quite beautiful and the origin of the name would carry little interest or significance to most people they ever met. People would more than likely just say, “That’s quite an unusual nameâ€

Warmaster said:
My brother and his wife were going to call their firstborn Akira if it was a girl.

However it turned up a boy, so they called him Neo :eek:

He is 5 now, and doing well :)

As for me I rather like Akiko, but have a strange liking for old english names myself.

According to the link Akira is a unisex name so would have worked for a boy as well.

I was asked by my dad to think of names for my (as it turned out) half-sister, so I decided on 5 themes one of which was Japanese (another was Tolkien). I chose Aki which according to some websites is also unisex and one the meanings is Autumn ('ko' would add 'child' to that meaning) as that was when it was going to be born, or Akane as that has something to do with red (the mother has red hair). They chose Sorel in the end.

I would choose a Japanese name if there was one that had a meaning to fit and wasn't too out there, but would probably go for something Anglo-Saxon or Old English. Beowulf maybe ;)

Ditchdigger said:
Warmaster said:
My brother and his wife were going to call their firstborn Akira if it was a girl.

However it turned up a boy, so they called him Neo :eek:

He is 5 now, and doing well :)

As for me I rather like Akiko, but have a strange liking for old english names myself.

According to the link Akira is a unisex name so would have worked for a boy as well.

I was asked by my dad to think of names for my (as it turned out) half-sister, so I decided on 5 themes one of which was Japanese (another was Tolkien). I chose Aki which according to some websites is also unisex and one the meanings is Autumn ('ko' would add 'child' to that meaning) as that was when it was going to be born, or Akane as that has something to do with red (the mother has red hair). They chose Sorel in the end.

I would choose a Japanese name if there was one that had a meaning to fit and wasn't too out there, but would probably go for something Anglo-Saxon or Old English. Beowulf maybe ;)

Akira is also a Scottish gaelic name for a girl. Gaelic names are big in Scotland now, I'm sure you could pull it off if you live in Ireland as well.

If i were to name any children i have in the future with japanese names, i always liked the sound of Yuki, which is i remember means snow, at least for a girl, as for a boy i'm not quite sure actually. That link is interesting bar the fact that my knowledge on Kanji is nothing short of terrible, i'm only good with kana =/ so i can only read the minority of it.
When i think on it, it really shouldn't matter as to which name people get, i mean, people don't become friends with people because of their names, do they? So whether they are called something like yuki, it won't really change much.

Yuri as a female name for someone living in Japan is a bad idea.... =)

But Yuri is also used in Russia for males...

chaos said:
Yuri as a female name for someone living in Japan is a bad idea.... =)

But Yuri is also used in Russia for males...

Must be tough for those guys if they visit Japan, they probably wonder why everyone is in hysterics when their name is mentioned.

I saw it mentioned as I was scrolling down the page, but I've always had a spot for the name Kasumi.
However given my surname I would never find myself naming a child a Japanese name, it wouldn't be fair to give them a name based on my secretive hobby :lol:

devilrules666 said:
i would actually pay good money to see someone name their child pogo! :D
I would throw in an extra if it's called Pogo Ball and the kid doesn't hate their parents.

RetroRainbow said:
Ayame sounds somewhat similar, and it means 'iris'. I loved that song by the Goo Goo Dolls, and I think it'd be a pretty lovely name to name. I even like the actual word 'Iris' as a name.
I prefer kuro fuusen... =)

I like 'Naru' for a girl. Also 'Chi', but having named my cat that already...

I also like Spanish sounding names, as well as French.

Also Final Fantasy 7 names too...

Umm, since this is all hyperthetical I'd go with names like Jin, Hiroyuki, Ken and Ichimaru would be awesome for a guy.

For a girl... Hmm, Reina, Haruka and Kagami would be good options for a girl.

Back