What is your opinion on fanservice?

Your opinion on fanservice

  • I like it as the way it is, and demand more girls falling over

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, just a pathetic add on

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Ammish

Stand User
You know, fanservice. Where girls run around with guns, or have larger than usual boobs or fall down, and you see their underwear, in about 99.9% of your usual anime.

But what are your opinions on it. In my opinion, I think it's a pointless add on. But heh, that's my opinion... But I'm all for no fanservice in Anime.

So what is your opinion on fanservice?
 

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
Not too fond of fanservice at all. It can be funny when done right (like it is in Evangelion) but usually it's just mindless and jarring. I have no idea why I.G. decided to mar a series as intellectually accomplished as the first GIG of Stand Alone Complex with moronic ass and tit shots of the Major :[
 

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
melonpan said:
Come on now, you know you liked it deep down inside. :)

Nah, I'm gay :p

But, regardless, fanservice is still silly and pointless! If you want to see nakedness then watch something like Ikki Tousen or get a lads mag or something. Please stop bringing it into intelligent anime like GitS :[
 

Ammish

Stand User
CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:
Come on now, you know you liked it deep down inside. :)

Nah, I'm gay :p

But, regardless, fanservice is still silly and pointless! If you want to see nakedness then watch something like Ikki Tousen or get a lads mag or something. Please stop bringing it into intelligent anime like GitS :[

Just be glad that they got rid of the whole "being naked to become invisible". That really ruined the film for me D=
 

Lupus

Baka Ranger
CitizenGeek said:
Please stop bringing it into intelligent anime like GitS :[
Naw, it's there for a reason: To distract the fans to hide that the series isn't intelligent as it seems. >___>

I HATE fanservice in general, prime example was when I was really getting into FMP, near the end of episode 3 Kaname Chidori and Sosuke were at the train station talking and you see the wind blow from a shot behind Kaname... BAM right there and then I saw her panties and was all "... =/" Degrading the series with such crap.
 

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
Chrono Mizaki said:
Just be glad that they got rid of the whole "being naked to become invisible". That really ruined the film for me D=

It sure was a lucky coincidence that technology only required the female Kusangi to be naked in order to utilise the invisibility technique, but the male Batou didn't need nudity to get the same effect, wasn't it?
 

Chaz

Chuunibyou
CitizenGeek said:
melonpan said:
Come on now, you know you liked it deep down inside. :)

Nah, I'm gay :p

But, regardless, fanservice is still silly and pointless! If you want to see nakedness then watch something like Ikki Tousen...
Beat ya too it! :p

I like my "eye candy" on a certain level. As long as the boobs aren't huge and messed up, or something stupid, I dont mind Fanservice at all.

I know what you mean though... Serious stuff should stick with it. Otherwise, fanservice would make it more easy-going and loose, which deters the show from its major plot/storybase.

In conclusion, like most things in life, if it's kept in a "modest" style, fanservice can be good for the right anime. Otherwise, STOP THROWING SH** ABOUT! ;)

On a similar note, is it ok for a show like Gode Geass have its fanservice, i.e. the girl's bathroom special, or do you think (even) that's too much?
In otherwords, what do you consider as a sensible range of service?
 

Gacha

Stand User
I like ecchi comedies so i expect fan service in there.
But in normal animes
*oh no i fell over look my panties*
Then it's this is pointless.
 

Sy

Time-Traveller
My only detractor from Stand Alone Complex is the 'thong suit' from the first GIG. Thank god they felt more secure in the show itself to allow the Major to dress herself in a more dignified manner during the following series.

Now aside from the obvious pandering to sexual lusts that a lot of shows tend to do there is another kind of fanservice that irritates me just as much as the pointless T&A kind and that can best be seen in Advent Children. In that kind of fanservice they try and give everyone what they want to see but in the process sacrificing some credibility and good storytelling. This is mainly apparent in the fact that the movie is comprised mainly of action sequences and characters from the game who show up for no other reason than letting people see their favourite character for a brief pointless moment.
 

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
I like and dislike it, I like it when its mindless fun and nothing more, But I have got to agree with you lot on The Major. I didn't like the random fanservice in GitS to be totally truthful. I can't say it was unexpected due to sex scenes and the like in the original manga. Revy fanservice wasn't bad though. =P

I find watching some fanservice in certain shows it feels out of place, And somewhat awkward. Saying this though, I do watch shows [As you know] for what it is. Rather than what the characters look like, unless they are a bit erm... Divergence Eve comes to mind. Which is apparently not just awful looking, Ridiculously written as well.

I'm not bothered either way, 4/7chan corrupt your mind of /a/.
 

Gacha

Stand User
Sy said:
My only detractor from Stand Alone Complex is the 'thong suit' from the first GIG. Thank god they felt more secure in the show itself to allow the Major to dress herself in a more dignified manner during the following series.

Now aside from the obvious pandering to sexual lusts that a lot of shows tend to do there is another kind of fanservice that irritates me just as much as the pointless T&A kind and that can best be seen in Advent Children. In that kind of fanservice they try and give everyone what they want to see but in the process sacrificing some credibility and good storytelling. This is mainly apparent in the fact that the movie is comprised mainly of action sequences and characters from the game who show up for no other reason than letting people see their favourite character for a brief pointless moment.

I never got why ghost in the shell had majors boobs falling out :|
Talk about a distraction.
Though if all women in the secret services wear that i may have a future career plan :>
 

Chaz

Chuunibyou
Jayme said:
I find watching some fanservice in certain shows it feels out of place, And somewhat awkward. Saying this though, I do watch shows [As you know] for what it is. Rather than what the characters look like, unless they are a bit erm... Divergence Eve comes to mind. Which is apparently not just awful looking, Ridiculously written as well.

Here, here!! It's rediculous on how a thin twig of a girl can have an imbalanced rack like the girls on D.E.
And the story and animation on some monsters were -bleh- worthy. Watched a couple of eps, and stopped it... I do have the boxset though... just sitting there... all alone... lmao.

However, I find the shapes of other ecchi stuff, i.e. Ikki Tousen, ok to swollow. Yeah, they have big boobs, but not so much that they'll snap after a few steps.
 

Turtleheart

Kiznaiver
What I can never understand about all these fansub debates, is why it is always about the women… Have any of you read or seen Ouran High School Host Club? Now that's a kind of fanservice I can appreciate! :D

But even with fanservice of the male-oriented variety, I can generally never find skirt-blowing gusts and falling-out boobies to anything but amusing. In an already silly series, they simply add to the comedy, while in a more serious one they serve to lighten the mood, to stop it from becoming overbearingly serious. However, to come back to my initial subject, in my experience I've found that female-oriented fanservice and ecchi suggestiveness – especially of the boys' love variety – is significantly more amusing and enjoyable for people in general. This is because there isn't anywhere near as much of it around, and the audience is not desensitised to it to anywhere near the same degree; therefore it is more surprising, more fresh and more provocative. Obviously, if female-targeted fanservice were to become just as common as male-oriented, it would lose these advantages. But as things stand, it's still rather a long way off, in anime if not in manga, and I for would like to see the ratio alerted, not the overall volume of it.
 

Dracos

Dragon Knight
I don't mind the odd bit of fan service in a series maybe the odd panty shot or nipple or whatever a couple of times in a season as it can be sort of in keeping with the story.

However I feel there are many shows like Nadjica Blitz Tactics and Ikki Tousen that have reasonable story lines and don’t really need half as much fan service as they have, at times it is just distracting and detracts from the action. I can’t remember what I watched the other day (I’ll have a think and maybe come back) but there was so much fan service I nearly turned it off as it was stopping me following the story.
 

naya_lulu

Dandy Guy, in Space
i would love fan service if it's like boy's love... but it can be annoying if not done right but it's ok really coz i'm not particular about it as long as it doesn't take away the essence of the story....
 

Wildcard

Thousand Master
Depends what degree it is done to. When its laughable panty shots every five minutes then no, I think its a pathetic add on. To me, if shows stoop that low it screams that their trying to cover up for a lack of appeal. :(

EDIT: This reminds me of the 'Welcome to the NHK' anime covers for America, hope ours are less pervy or I'm going to embarassed buying it. Still it sucks how it gives the impression you're buying porn.
 

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
McIcy said:
I am a huge fan of fan service as long as its done as part of the story I hate it when it looks tagged on

But, why don't you just buy a lads magazine, like Maxim or Nuts or something, instead of oogling animated girls?
 
Top