What Games Are You Playing?

Soma
As Alien Isolation clones go, this one is a mixed bag. I'm a few hours in and the story and setting are interesting, but the controls for manipulating objects are awkward and the stealth sections are tedious. I didn't need a reason to hide from the xenomorph in Isolation because the damn thing was terrifying, but in the part of Soma I'm up to at the moment I'm just left thinking, "Why am I hiding from a dude in a gimp suit with a disco ball for a head? I could probably take it down if I had a crowbar." Wandering aimlessly around the ocean floor in the dark is boring too. I'm not sure if I'll bother finishing this one.

Soma
As Alien Isolation clones go, this one is a mixed bag. I'm a few hours in and the story and setting are interesting, but the controls for manipulating objects are awkward and the stealth sections are tedious. I didn't need a reason to hide from the xenomorph in Isolation because the damn thing was terrifying, but in the part of Soma I'm up to at the moment I'm just left thinking, "Why am I hiding from a dude in a gimp suit with a disco ball for a head? I could probably take it down if I had a crowbar." Wandering aimlessly around the ocean floor in the dark is boring too. I'm not sure if I'll bother finishing this one.

Do it Dai, it's easily one of the best stories in videogames. Yeah, maybe the game part is questionable but I promise you will not forget that ending.

Isn't there a safe mode where the monster wanders around but it doesn't attack you? At least you won't have to pretend the stealth works.

Unfortunately it turns out that Soma doesn't allow the difficulty to be changed mid-game. Looking at the table of contents on a walkthrough, I seem to be over halfway through it already, so I may as well push on to the end.

That sucks - I hope the gameplay doesn't sour you on the story. It has some very memorable moments of existentialist dread.

The setting is just incredibly well realized.

I won't repeat myself (and please don't read that post until you're finished, Dai) but I think it is perhaps a little unfair to call it an "Alien Isolation clone" given that Frictional pretty much pioneered the run-and-hide first person survival horror genre with the Penumbra series back in 2007, then refined it with Amnesia in 2010 a full four years before Isolation's release. I've hugely enjoyed everything Frictional have produced and keep meaning to check out the newest Amnesia, but I just have to be in the mood.

Although perhaps now is the time, given that I just finished creepy walk-a-thons The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and The Town of Light which I played through in a single 5 hour sitting.

Vanishing has an absolutely beautiful world to explore although I found the story little disjointed, split as it is into very clear and different sections which made the ending "twist" obvious a mile off and I was often frustrated by the fact there were so many occasions in the game world where it allowed me to walk to remote sections of the map only to find there was nothing there. It feels like a pretty major design flaw to not reward the player for exploring and investigating in an exploration and investigation game. Also I didn't think the mechanic by which you have to discern the order of events was particularly good given that this was usually very obvious, so much so that I sometimes thought "It can't possibly be this easy, it's trying to trick me" and chose a different order, only to find the obvious one was in fact the correct one. Still, it was a fairly original idea and not a bad way to pass a couple of slow evenings.

I've mentioned before that I'm not particularly fond of horror that relies too heavily on gore or jump-scares, and if I were to imagine a perfect horror game it would just subject the player to absolute human misery and leave them with the desire to reach for a bottle of scotch. The Town of Light is probably the closest a game has come to being exactly the kind of thing I was imagining. [MASSIVE SPOILER] I don't think I can imagine many things more horrifying than to be forced into the POV of a doctor as he clinically and unceremoniously hammers an ice-pick up through the eye socket of the player character I had grown to feel so much sympathy for and been trying to help. But in the end I was helpless, my freedom and ability to do anything about the situation taken away, just like Renée. Bravo. I'm not surprised to find it has mixed reviews and a lot of people don't seem to like it much, particularly those who want to feel some sense of achievement, but this is absolutely my bag. No imagined horror can ever be worse than the actual horrors humanity inflicts on each other. I wish it had been longer and had more things to find, and perhaps opening the world up so it was possible to explore and put the pieces together in a different order rather than keeping the player more-or-less on rails might have been more immersive, but for such a small studio's first game I think it's very impressive. That said, I did have to switch the audio language from English to the original Italian very quickly. The English VA for the player character seemed to be putting on a rather stereotypical cutesy-crazy-girl voice that was a bit jarring against the very dark subject matter.

Last edited:
I've mentioned before that I'm not particularly fond of horror that relies too heavily on gore or jump-scares, and if I were to imagine a perfect horror game it would just subject the player to absolute human misery and leave them with the desire to reach for a bottle of scotch. The Town of Light is probably the closest a game has come to being exactly the kind of thing I was imagining. [MASSIVE SPOILER] I don't think I can imagine many things more horrifying than to be forced into the POV of a doctor as he clinically and unceremoniously hammers an ice-pick up through the eye socket of the player character I had grown to feel so much sympathy for and been trying to help. But in the end I was helpless, my freedom and ability to do anything about the situation taken away, just like Renée. Bravo. I'm not surprised to find it has mixed reviews and a lot of people don't particularly like it, particularly those who want to feel some sense of achievement, but this is absolutely my bag. No imagined horror can ever be worse than the actual horrors humanity inflicts on each other. I wish it had been longer and had more things to find, and perhaps opening the world up so it was possible to explore and put the pieces together in a different order rather than keeping the player more-or-less on rails might have been more immersive, but for such a small studio's first game I think it's very impressive. That said, I did have to switch the audio language from English to the original Italian very quickly. The English VA for the player character seemed to be putting on a rather stereotypical cutesy-crazy-girl voice that was a bit jarring against the very dark subject matter.

ponders whether this is similar to how I feel about reading Shuzo Oshimi's manga 🤔 I'm a big fan and while I loved Happiness as much as the other more realistic stuff of his I have read I think it partly resonated with me cuz one of the worst villains was a human rather than a vampire Am curious to know if you've read any of his works or seen the Flowers of Evil anime and what you thought? :)

ponders whether this is similar to how I feel about reading Shuzo Oshimi's manga ... curious to know if you've read any of his works or seen the Flowers of Evil anime and what you thought?

I have not, I'm not sure quite what it was that put me off Flowers of Evil - Potentially the rotoscoping, possibly the fact I find it easier to identify with mental patients than high-schoolers. But in anime & manga terms, the works of Yoshihiro Tatsumi and From the New World definitely made me feel similar. I attempted to write a review of From the New World about three times before giving up because I just found it too difficult to put into words exactly how I felt about it.

Parts of August I felt like I was in limbo on what to do but I eventually managed to play through a few games.

Game: 25 - Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones HD (PlayStation 3)
Acquired: June 2021

With the Sands of Time being an enjoyable platformer adventure and Warrior Within improving on some elements while others was an honest mixed bag, The Two Thrones manages to combine the best parts of the two and provides a really solid third instalment and send off to the trilogy.

The Two Thrones continues where we left off from Warriors Within and brings back cast from the first game with a new take on the story. The story may feel like its repeated itself from the first game, but it's actually different. One part is due to the addition of Dark Prince, a persona of the Prince as a result of the Sands of Time, and also takes the storyline of Warriors Within into account for the Prince's motivations, goals and how he sees himself in front of others, whether he wants to focus on himself or his people.

The platforming was still as strong as before and even better with the new mechanics working really well for the gameplay. For instance you use your knife to hold onto parts of a wall so you can wall-run in a new way. There's also the addition of stealth combat which works pretty well once you get used to how the quick-time events work.

The collectibles are back but more simplistic as we only have health upgrades and mini portal bases, the latter of which is unmissable as it's story-related - basically you want to take out the enemies and seal the portal before they spawn more enemies into the combat.

Speaking of combat, the difficulty here actually feels more balanced than before. Enemies can be challenging but it's not ridiculous like Warriors Within was so you actually have a chance to progress without being in a silly situation for hours. That said, folks may feel disappointed by this, and personally I can see why but I was happy with how this game turned out.

Overall, The Two Thrones is a really solid action platformer for the trilogy and I recommend it a lot if you liked Sands of Time and didn't like Warriors Within. The story took about 8-10 hours of progress.

Game: 26 - Resident Evil HD Remaster (PlayStation 4)
Acquired: June 2022

"Enter the survival horror".

We all know the story behind Biohazard and how it got popular and influential, but for some reason I could never get into the first game because of fear. Not just from the zombies but the survival aspect of its gameplay - limited supplies, camera and controls, and worst of all - limited saves. It was something that put me off for years, but at the same time I had wanted to give it a shot.

After watching some randomisers, I finally tried this game and it does deliver on the fear - with zombies around the corner which can be hard to dodge on modern controls, all the way to knowing what to do and where to go. I played the game twice in this run - one via Jill on Normal mode, and one via Chris on Easy mode. Despite following the same structure, both characters have differences to both their gameplay and story elements.

In Jill's campaign, you have 8 inventory slots, the use of lockpicks which can open some doors, the option to use the Grenade launcher, some enemies not appearing, some puzzles not appearing, and you can insta-kill a boss fight half-way through the game as her character had scientific knowledge for one section. Jill is also considered the starting point for players, as she has more ease of entry for the gameplay. That said, she does die quicker than Chris.

In Chris' campaign, you have 6 inventory slots which means you will need to backtrack a lot to your supply room to move items in and out. There are also other challenges - you don't get access to the Grenade launcher, but you do get access to Flash grenades in return, you have to survive the Shotgun room without any assistance, you also need to find some old keys to unlock some doors because you don't get access to the lockpick, and you also don't get any assistance to fight one early boss fight. In return you also have better health, can use Flash grenades to insta-kill zombies, and have insta-access to the lighter which is integral in the remake.

The stories for both characters are in a weird canon/non-canon territory and I guess you could argue both happened at the same time but with some differences. Side characters can also die but they are easy to avoid if you acquire 3 MO Disks that appear (one early on in a tiger puzzle, and the rest in the final area) and respond with the right decision near the end game.

Now despite the original being bright, campy and a simple survival tale, Capcom went the extra mile to make the remake more dark, haunted and catch you off-guard with how it handles its zombies. In remake, when shot dead the zombies stay on the ground until a certain amount of time later to revive as Crimson Heads, which are faster, aggressive and can ruin your path if you weren't prepared. Using the lighter and Kerosone, which only has a finite amount, will burn the bodies before they revive again which will make it easier for you - however the harder the difficulty, the faster they come back.

Puzzles are also interesting, ranging from examining items to receive keys or components used to unlock something else, all the way to using a crane to change the path. There are also some fun ones like using a lighter to check lamps to determine which number matches the symbols. For items, the map does a great job telling you whether a room is fully checked as you progress, so you don't have to worry about checking constantly to see if you have the items or not.

The storage boxes throughout the game can store as many items as you would like which is very handy for going through the game. One of the difficulties available when you finish a playthrough unlocks a mode that was originally supposed to be how it would be in the original PlayStation game, before they changed it for the final product - which was having each box be separate and not inter-connected, therefore making it harder to progress as items won't move around, so you would have to take them out from one location to another.

FatAUXvX0AAJnq7

FbCMfdmXoAAhZIT

The playthroughs will take about 6-7 hours each character and faster if you know where to go on the path and puzzles. The differences between each difficulty includes some rooms not having any zombies and more health/ammo appearing in some areas. Now the big question some will have is the save feature - which requires using Ink Ribbons.

There are 30 chances to save in your playthrough and if you can manage to save at least 6 times during the first part of the game (which is getting some masks and defeating a monster to receive a Metal/Stone Object that will let you get outside to the gardens), you won't have to worry about progression going forward as it's much easier to know what to do and can backtrack better if you die for some reason due to its linearity.

Overall Resident Evil has been a scary but fun ride, with the best endings achieved for each character and got a lot of items along the way. The remake is available across multiple platforms but for the definitive version get the PC release so you can also take advantage of the randomiser mods.

Game: 27 - Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PlayStation 5)
Acquired: July 2022

Bandai Namco's wahoo game is another one of the classics that I did not play when I was younger. Released on the original PlayStation it's a platformer that I would have enjoyed had I played it when it first came out. While I did acquire the original via the PlayStation 3 store to secure access to the game when the store was going to close, I never had the chance to start it.

And now months later I have finally tried it out, thanks to Bandai Namco remaking the first two games for modern platforms, and here we are with Klonoa: Door to Phantomile running on PlayStation 5 with 4K 60fps gameplay.

The gameplay is pretty simplistic - you jump, grab enemies to throw onto objects, and reach the exit. The original was considered 2.5D but here it's more akin to New Super Mario Bros where it's 2D side scrolling but with 3D models. There are also branching paths in the levels which is pretty cool as you may find some collectible items along the way. Upon finishing the level, you return to the world map that makes note of how many gems you acquired and how many people you have rescued.

The playtime for the story was only a couple of hours but the final world does provide some extra challenge like being careful on dodging and figuring out some of the puzzles. The boss battles weren't hard but had a nice sense of challenge as it relies on the skills you learn over the course of the story.

Overall, the game is great. It is short, but I had a great time. The trophies are also pretty simple, with the focus solely on completing the story and rescuing the residents in each level. The Platinum trophy is shared between both games so expect that to be picked up when I eventually try out the sequel.

My backlog so far:
#​
PC/Steam Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the SkyTurn-Based RPG
2​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SCTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation 3 Backlog - Game Name:​
Genre:
1​
3D Dot Game HeroesAction RPG
2​
Castlevania: Lords of ShadowAction, Hack n Slash
3​
CatherinePuzzle
4​
Drakengard 3Action RPG
5​
Eternal SonataTurn-Based RPG
6​
FolkloreAction RPG
7​
inFAMOUSAction
8​
inFAMOUS 2Action
9​
Katamari ForeverPuzzle
10​
PuppeteerPlatformer
11​
Sly Cooper: Thieves in TimeAction, Platformer
12​
Tears to Tiara II: Heir of the OverlordTactical RPG, Visual Novel
13​
Way of the Samurai 4Action
#​
PlayStation 4 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
13 Sentinels: Aegis RimTactical RPG, Visual Novel
2​
AI: The Somnium FilesAdventure, Visual Novel
3​
Black Clover: Quartet KnightsAction, Fighting
4​
Bullet Girls PhantasiaAction, Shooter
5​
The Caligula Effect: OverdoseTurn-Based RPG
6​
Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New ChampionsSports
7​
Catherine Full BodyPuzzle
8​
Chaos;ChildVisual Novel
9​
Conception Plus: Maidens of the Twelve StarsTurn-Based RPG
10​
Cyberdimension Neptunia: Four Goddesses OnlineAction RPG
11​
Danganronpa 1 ReloadVisual Novel
12​
Danganronpa 2 ReloadVisual Novel
13​
Danganronpa V3: Killing HarmonyVisual Novel
14​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 1: Rinne UtopiaVisual Novel, Dating Sim
15​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 2: Ars InstallVisual Novel, Dating Sim
16​
Date A Live: Rio-Reincarnation - 3: Twin Edition: Rio ReincarnationVisual Novel, Dating Sim
17​
Disaster Report 4: Summer MemoriesAdventure, Simulation
18​
Dragon's Crown ProAction RPG
19​
Fate/Extella LinkMusou
20​
Final Fantasy VIII RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
21​
Full Metal Panic! Fight! Who Dares WinTactical RPG
22​
Gal*Gun 2On-Rails Shooter
23​
Gintama RumbleAction, Musou
24​
GOD EATER 3Action Hunter RPG
25​
Gravity Rush 2Action, Platformer
26​
Is it Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Infinite CombateAction RPG
27​
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of HeavenFighting
28​
Kotodama: The 7 Mysteries of FujisawaPuzzle, Visual Novel
29​
LangrisserTactical RPG
30​
Langrisser IITactical RPG
31​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold SteelTurn-Based RPG
32​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IITurn-Based RPG
33​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IIITurn-Based RPG
34​
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IVTurn-Based RPG
35​
Megadimension Neptunia VIITurn-Based RPG
36​
Megadimension Neptunia VIIRTurn-Based RPG
37​
MELTY BLOOD: TYPE LUMINAFighting
38​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja StormAction, Fighting
39​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2Action, Fighting
40​
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3Action, Fighting
41​
Neptunia Virtual StarsAction
42​
Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja WarsAction
43​
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch RemasteredTurn-Based RPG
44​
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant KingdomAction RPG
45​
Nights of AzureAction RPG
46​
Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New MoonAction RPG
47​
One Piece Unlimited World RedAction
48​
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3Musou
49​
Our World Is EndedVisual Novel
50​
Persona 5 RoyalTurn-Based RPG
51​
Persona 5 StrikersAction RPG, Musou
52​
Punch LineVisual Novel
53​
Raging LoopVisual Novel
54​
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-: Prophecy of the ThroneVisual Novel
55​
Resident Evil 6Action Horror
56​
Resident Evil: RevelationsAction Horror
57​
Resident Evil: Revelations 2Action Horror
58​
Robotics;Notes DaSHVisual Novel
59​
Robotics;Notes ELITEVisual Novel
60​
SD Gundam G Generation Cross RaysTactical RPG
61​
SD Gundam G Generation GenesisTactical RPG
62​
Secret of ManaAction RPG
63​
Sengoku Basara 4: SumeragiMusou
64​
Senran Kagura Burst Re:NewalAction
65​
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD RemasterTurn-Based RPG
66​
Shining Resonance: RefrainAction RPG
67​
Steins;Gate EliteVisual Novel
68​
Super Neptunia RPGTurn-Based RPG
69​
Super Robot Wars 30Tactical RPG
70​
Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon DwellersTactical RPG
71​
Super Robot Wars TTactical RPG
72​
Super Robot Wars XTactical RPG
73​
Sword Art Online: Fatal BulletAction RPG
74​
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum Sessions!Music, Rhythm
75​
Tales of BerseriaAction RPG
76​
Tales of VesperiaAction RPG
77​
Tales of ZestiriaAction RPG
78​
Tokyo Xanadu eX+Action RPG
79​
Trials of ManaAction RPG
80​
Utawarerumono: Mask of DeceptionTactical RPG, Visual Novel
81​
Utawarerumono: Mask of TruthTactical RPG, Visual Novel
82​
Utawarerumono: Prelude to the FallenTactical RPG, Visual Novel
83​
Utawarerumono: ZanAction, Musou
84​
Valkyria Chronicles 4Tactical RPG
85​
Valkyria RevolutionAction RPG
86​
Wing of DarknessAction, Arcade
87​
The Witch and the Hundred Knight Revival EditionAction RPG
88​
WORLDEND SYNDROMEVisual Novel
89​
Yakuza 3 RemasteredAction Beat em up
90​
Yakuza 4 RemasteredAction Beat em up
91​
Yakuza 5 RemasteredAction Beat em up
92​
YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this WorldVisual Novel
93​
Ys IX: Monstrum NoxAction RPG
#PlayStation 5 Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
JudgmentAction, Beat em up
2​
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's VeilPlatformer
3​
Lost JudgmentAction, Beat em up
4​
Neptunia ReVerseTurn-Based RPG
5​
NiohAction Souls RPG
6​
Nioh 2Action Souls RPG
7​
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit of Wonder LabyrinthMetroidvania RPG
8​
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy OriginAction Souls RPG
9​
Super Monkey Ball: Banana ManiaPuzzle
10​
Yakuza 7: Like a DragonTurn-Based RPG
#​
PlayStation Vita Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Bullet GirlsAction, Shooter
2​
Freedom WarsAction
3​
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black HeartTactical RPG
4​
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action UnleashedAction
5​
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS ZombiesAction, Musou
6​
Muv-LuvVisual Novel, Dating Sim
7​
Muv-Luv AlternativeVisual Novel
8​
Superdimension Neptune vs SEGA Hard GirlsTurn-Based RPG
9​
Valkyrie Drive BhikkhuniAction
#Nintendo Switch Backlog - Game Name:Genre:
1​
Fire Emblem: Three HousesTactical RPG
2​
Mario Kart 8 DeluxeRacing
3​
New Super Mario Bros U DeluxePlatformer
4​
Senran Kagura ReflexionsSimulation
5​
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's FuryAction, Platformer
6​
Super Mario 64Action, Platformer
7​
Super Mario GalaxyAction, Platformer
8​
Super Mario SunshineAction, Platformer
9​
Super Smash Bros. UltimateFighting
10​
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive EditionAction RPG
11​
Xenoblade Chronicles 2Action RPG

gGNW84cl.png
52 Games Goal:
No.Game
Console​
Acquired​
Genre
1​
Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes
PS3​
2017​
Musou
2​
Toukiden 2
PS4​
2019​
Hunter RPG
3​
Fist of the Nort Star: Lost Paradise
PS4​
2019​
Action, Beat em Up
4​
JUMP FORCE
PS4​
2022​
Fighting
5​
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul
PS4​
2020​
Fighting
6​
Code Vein
PS4​
2020​
Action Souls RPG
7​
Super Robot Wars V
PS4​
2019​
Tactical RPG
8​
Gran Turismo 7
PS5​
2022​
Racing
9​
Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
PS4​
2020​
Action, Hack n Slash
10​
SG/ZH: School Girl / Zombie Hunter
PS4​
2021​
Action, Shooter
11​
Ratchet & Clank: QForce
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
12​
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
13​
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation
Vita​
2018​
Turn-Based RPG
14​
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation
Vita​
2018​
Turn-Based RPG
15​
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark
PS4​
2021​
Visual Novel
16​
Spirit Hunter: NG
PS4​
2021​
Visual Novel
17​
Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire
PS4​
2021​
Shoot em up
18​
Resident Evil 4
PS4​
2022​
Action, Horror
19​
Resident Evil 5
PS4​
2022​
Action, Horror
20​
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles HD
PS3​
2021​
On-Rails Shooter
21​
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles HD
PS3​
2021​
On-Rails Shooter
22​
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time HD
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
23​
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within HD
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
24​
Stray
PS5​
2022​
Platformer
25​
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones HD
PS3​
2021​
Action, Platformer
26​
Resident Evil HD Remaster
PS4​
2022​
Survival Horror
27​
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Remake)
PS5​
2022​
Platformer

FmtJjLOl.png

Life Is Strange True Colours: Wavelenghts
The Steph backstory chapter. God its so lonely. Now I feel weird and sad. Shouldn't have played it the day I got back from holiday lol. It was, however, very well done as an emotional look through the eyes of Steph and her state of mind at the start of True Colours. Definitely recommend, especially is you chose to romance Steph during the main game.

I'd second @João Gomes and @ayase here dude and highly recommend you persevere with this one, it is brilliant. However, I will add a caveat that I found it really good all the way through and was hooked on the story regardless of the gameplay, so maybe taper your expectations if you haven't gotten as enamoured thus far.

Thanks for the other suggestions at @ayase, duly added to my list to play. I have yet to play the Amnesia ones though, which thankfully are available on psn at least seeing as I don't even know where to get penumbra, two sets that have been on my list for years... The other two I played of a similar "walking-sim" nature are Gone Home, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, both of which I thought were very good, albeit the latter being painful to get through at the slow "running" pace it forces on the player. Curious how I found those far more engaging than Until Dawn, which despite being much more interactive I felt dragged on a lot more. Likely down to what you say about the ineffectiveness of jump scares versus psychological horror, especially of the existential/human nature variety.

ponders whether this is similar to how I feel about reading Shuzo Oshimi's manga 🤔
Interesting thought and from what I've read of his manga I'd say his work does have more teenage angst mixed into the horror than the existential dread of humanity. I am also reminded of my recent new favourite Inio Asano now heh.

But in anime & manga terms, the works of Yoshihiro Tatsumi and From the New World definitely made me feel similar.
That anime is absolute class. Though, unless I'm very mistaken, you'd never think that looking at the source? manga's covers... On manga, I'm happily reading your favourite one's recently released deluxe 1, after being unable to resist fomo induced by peer excitement on this forum. I am finding it utterly charming and would think the completionist in me would be getting very frustrated then having to wait for the next one to be released, but think I'll take a leaf out of that book and just chill with a cup of coffee instead.

Thanks for the other suggestions at @ayase, duly added to my list to play. I have yet to play the Amnesia ones though, which thankfully are available on psn at least seeing as I don't even know where to get penumbra, two sets that have been on my list for years...
Well if you have any kind of PC (it's not at all demanding in hardware terms), the entirety of Penumbra is currently £1.69 on GOG. Looks like the Amnesias are going cheap on there as well.

Edit: Just noticed The Town of Light is also £2.09, and LKA's second game Martha is Dead is discounted as well. Might have to grab that, it's got things I don't think I've ever seen in a content warning before. Looking good, if a bit spoilery.

That anime is absolute class. Though, unless I'm very mistaken, you'd never think that looking at the source? manga's covers...
Yes, I rather thought that even from the covers of the anime. Have some unreleased bonus material from my review that never was:
ratwar.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations that I persist with Soma. I've finished it and I'm glad I did. The stealth sections never stopped being boring, but at least there weren't too many of them. They really weren't necessary either since, of all the body-horror elements in the game, they were the least effective at creeping me out. The plight of the other 'people' I encountered was a lot more disturbing, as was how often the game left open the option to kill them. Euthenise? Murder? It's subjective what you'd call it in those circumstances. There were some really tough calls to make. The game as a whole would have been better as a pure walking simulator/narrative adventure.

I particularly liked that the game gave me two opportunities to fill out the Ark participation questionnaire. My answers as Simon 2 (a necro-cyborg AI trapped in an underwater body-horror nightmare) were a lot more negative than those I gave as Simon 4 (an AI living in an idyllic simulation). It's interesting that my opinion of living on as an AI was less about being an AI than about the surrounding circumstances I found myself in.

I was impressed with how the game manipulated the way that media can cheat perspective, so that the player always inhabited the most recent iteration of Simon. It was a similar feeling to Returnal, and worked to make me feel complicit in abandoning previous iterations or treating them as disposable.

SOMA is really unforgettable, a different kind of game.

When you understand what's going on in the game world, the first time you become a new Simon, encountering what is probably the last human on earth, the descent into the final area and the ending itself.

The ending in particular is pure horror, all things considered. Frictional did an amazing job at plunging the player into despair and hopelessness. An incredible climax. The fact that that they put you in the shoes of the one left behind is perfection (is it the only time they do it throughout the game? Can't remember).

THQ knew what they were doing when they slapped "by the writer of SOMA" on the promo material for the new Alone in the Dark.

The ending in particular is pure horror, all things considered. Frictional did an amazing job at plunging the player into despair and hopelessness. An incredible climax. The fact that that they put you in the shoes of the one left behind is perfection (is it the only time they do it throughout the game? Can't remember).
It's interesting, it's certainly very sad to watch Simon and Catherine argue as the lights go out but as I wrote in my old post linked above, I was totally at peace with it and in agreement with Catherine. I just wanted Simon to shut the hell up and spend his final moments being happy for Simon 4.0 who he'd essentially just granted immortality in paradise rather than whining about his own fate, which surely, surely he should have seen coming?

He needn't despair anyway, he'll be one with the WAU soon enough. You guys did leave the WAU alone, right? You didn't snuff out the future of life on Earth like bludgeoning the first fish to crawl onto land, surely?

It's interesting, it's certainly very sad to watch Simon and Catherine argue as the lights go out but as I wrote in my old post linked above, I was totally at peace with it and in agreement with Catherine. I just wanted Simon to shut the hell up and spend his final moments being happy for Simon 4.0 who he'd essentially just granted immortality in paradise rather than whining about his own fate, which surely, surely he should have seen coming?

He needn't despair anyway, he'll be one with the WAU soon enough. You guys did leave the WAU alone, right? You didn't snuff out the future of life on Earth like bludgeoning the first fish to crawl onto land, surely?

I couldn't help but imagine the simulation hitting space rocks or crashing on a planet and it gave me anxiety every time. It's kinda funny writing it but it's still a pitiful and depressing state of affairs, even if they don't know it, so... Yeah, maybe you're right, maybe it would be paradise. What an amazing ending whew.

I've played through it twice so I'm sure I did it both ways but I remember thinking at least the WAU could eventually adapt and evolve into something resembling real life. It's been a while though, so I don't remember the in-world limitations to that possibility!

I thought I’d been playing Disco Elysium for about 6 hours. It had been 11. This game is certainly something. I picked it up in a sale a while back and never got around to starting it, but it felt like time for something new and different and on that front it’s certainly delivering. It feels like a cross between a point and click adventure and an old isometric RPG (both of which I am a huge fan of) and it’s fascinating both in terms of gameplay/mechanics and story/world building.

I feel like I’m missing a lot, though this appears to be by design since what you can and can’t do is skill dependent, but I’m glad I went with my own character build rather than a pre-made. I’m not going to be doing anything physical any time soon (it’s day 3 and the dead body is still hanging from the tree, much to everyone’s disgust) but I sure get a lot of internal monologues chiming in and can talk until the cows come home. And there is a lot of talking, about pretty heavy subjects too. It’s frying my brain (which is probably a good thing since it forced me to stop for a bit, otherwise I’d probably have played it without food or sleep for 24+ hours straight) and I dare say I’m a lot more familiar with politics and philosophy than most people. I can’t imagine what effect this experience would have on anyone encountering these concepts for the first time. It might as well bring up a prompt to stop and read Das Kapital.

It’s clear the devs set out to challenge the player though, and not just with puzzles. I think it’s probably the case that this game is best played honestly and going with your own instincts rather than role-playing a character (although I am already looking forward to the second, inevitable, absolute b*stard play through I do with every RPG, even if just to beat up Cuno) since I think that has the greatest potential to make people consider their own beliefs and attitudes, which isn’t going to happen if you’re just playing to win and saying whatever you think other characters want to hear. Although perhaps doing that would say something about you as well. I’ll definitely be reporting back once I’ve finished this one.

It’s clear the devs set out to challenge the player though, and not just with puzzles. I think it’s probably the case that this game is best played honestly and going with your own instincts rather than role-playing a character (although I am already looking forward to the second, inevitable, absolute b*stard play through I do with every RPG, even if just to beat up Cuno) since I think that has the greatest potential to make people consider their own beliefs and attitudes, which isn’t going to happen if you’re just playing to win and saying whatever you think other characters want to hear. Although perhaps doing that would say something about you as well. I’ll definitely be reporting back once I’ve finished this one.

Even though I don't game much this has always been one of the most interesting philosophical aspects of video games where you have options and choices of this type for me so thankyou for articulating some of what I find so fascinating about it :)

Well if you have any kind of PC (it's not at all demanding in hardware terms), the entirety of Penumbra is currently £1.69 on GOG. Looks like the Amnesias are going cheap on there as well.
Top tip, will be getting that then. I also notice I have an upcoming penumbra game in my steam wishlist having completely forgotten there even was a new upcoming penumbra one...
I particularly liked that the game gave me two opportunities to fill out the Ark participation questionnaire.
Eh, what now? Ark participation questionnaire?? I don't remember getting that on my PS4 version! Think I've been conned... Or, have just conveniently forgotten that heh.
You didn't .... like bludgeoning the first fish to crawl onto land, surely?
Bludgeon, bludgeon!! Aaaaand, bludgeon, bludgeon, bludgeon some more!!! I'm not frustrated at all, no sir. I jest, this is another bit I can't remember, sooooo methinks a replay is in order then.
Disco Elysium
It feels like a cross between a point and click adventure and an old isometric RPG
Ooooh music to my ears and I've been patiently waiting for the superduperwhachamacallit version to go on sale on the switch to pick up! Good to hear it's as good as I've been hearing.
since I think that has the greatest potential to make people consider their own beliefs and attitudes, which isn’t going to happen if you’re just playing to win and saying whatever you think other characters want to hear.
Heheh reminds me of my jaded self, where I used to pick all the "right & good" choices in such games to now just going with my selfish human instincts the consequences be damned... Though that's probably just a reflection of my changed nature as a grumpy old git.

Back